Why Does Chicken Make My Dog Have Diarrhea
According to one study, 60 percent of dogs who are allergic to chicken are also allergic to the food. It can also lead to diarrhea in your dog if it lacks the ability to learn how to eat chicken. Some dogs are sensitive to unfamiliar food, so they have better needs to be treated by changing their diet as little as possible before introducing it.
Vomiting And Diarrhea Treatment
Anyone who has had several bouts of vomiting or diarrhea will need to replace lost fluids and electrolytes.
- For babies: If you are breastfeeding, continue to give your baby breast milk. Breast milk has fluids and electrolytes needed to prevent dehydration. Your doctor may also want you to give your baby an oral rehydration solution . If you feed your baby formula, try switching to one that is lactose free while your baby is sick. Lactose can make diarrhea worse. Your doctor may also suggest switching from formula to an ORS for 12 to 24 hours, and then switching back.
- For toddlers and young children: Use an ORS, which contains the right mix of salt, sugar, potassium, and other nutrients to help replace lost body fluids. Children older than 1 year may also have clear soups, clear sodas, or juice mixed 50-50 with water to help prevent dehydration. You should avoid giving your child plain water and soft drinks. Water alone does not contain enough salt and nutrients to help with dehydration. Soft drinks are typically very high in sugar and can irritate your childs stomach.
- For adults and seniors: To replace the fluids lost from vomiting and diarrhea, adults and seniors should try to drink at least seven eight-ounce glasses of water each day. Seniors may also use ORS or liquid meal replacements to help replace lost body fluids.
How Are Vomiting And Diarrhea Diagnosed
Vomiting and diarrhea can be diagnosed at home. Neither condition requires a trip to the doctor. However, call your doctor if the vomiting and diarrhea dont seem to be getting better, or if the person who is vomiting and/or has diarrhea:
- Is younger than 6 months old.
- Is older than 6 months old and has a fever higher than 101.4°F.
- Has signs of dehydration .
- Has been vomiting longer than 8 hours or is vomiting with great force.
- Has blood in his or her stools.
- Has blood in his or her vomit.
- Has not urinated in 8 hours.
- Might have swallowed something that could be poisonous.
- Has a stiff neck or bad headache.
- Is listless or unusually sleepy.
- Has had abdominal pain for more than 2 hours.
You May Like: Lettuce Gives Me Diarrhea
How Are Peptic Ulcers Treated
Treatment will depend on the type of ulcer you have. Your healthcare provider will create a care plan for you based on what is causing your ulcer.
Treatment can include making lifestyle changes, taking medicines, or in some cases having surgery.
Lifestyle changes may include:
- Not eating certain foods. Avoid any foods that make your symptoms worse.
- Quitting smoking. Smoking can keep your ulcer from healing. It is also linked to ulcers coming back after treatment.
- Limiting alcohol and caffeine. They can make your symptoms worse.
- Not using NSAIDs . These include aspirin and ibuprofen.
Medicines to treat ulcers may include:
- Antibiotics. These bacteria-fighting medicines are used to kill the H. pylori bacteria. Often a mix of antibiotics and other medicines is used to cure the ulcer and get rid of the infection.
- H2-blockers . These reduce the amount of acid your stomach makes by blocking the hormone histamine. Histamine helps to make acid.
- Proton pump inhibitors or PPIs. These lower stomach acid levels and protect the lining of your stomach and duodenum.
- Mucosal protective agents. These medicines protect the stomachs mucus lining from acid damage so that it can heal.
- Antacids. These quickly weaken or neutralize stomach acid to ease your symptoms.
In most cases, medicines can heal ulcers quickly. Once the H. pylori bacteria is removed, most ulcers do not come back.
Possible Causes Of Upset Stomach Every Morning
1. Morning Sickness
For women in the early stages of pregnancy, upset stomachs can strike any time during the day, but the stomach issues usually occur first thing in the morning. The morning sickness typically doesn’t pose any risk to the pregnancy, and although the nausea is annoying and uncomfortable, the most common symptom is vomiting. The good news is that after the first trimester, the symptoms usually pass. Discuss with your health care provider the severity and frequency of the symptoms to make sure you do not develop other complications or become anemic.
2. Irritable Bowel Syndrome
IBS is a chronic disorder that causes food to move too quickly through the digestive track. Normally, IBS doesn’t create any lasting damage in your colon however, it can cause early morning stomach issues and diarrhea. Any change in routines or added stress can cause IBS symptoms to appear more frequently. Restless sleep has also been known to aggravate IBS symptoms first thing in the morning. Other symptoms may include abdominal cramps, gas, bloating, and watery diarrhea. Thankfully, a high fiber diet and a relaxing period before bedtime can help prevent these issues.
4. Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease
7. Peptic Ulcers
Recommended Reading: Will Pickle Juice Help Heartburn
Certain Types Of Cancer
Colon cancer, lymphoma, pancreatic cancer, and some other types may cause gastric symptoms such as diarrhea, vomiting, or constipation. Some forms of cancer may go undiagnosed until gastric symptoms occur.
Cancer treatments, such as chemotherapy, can also cause vomiting, nausea, and diarrhea. Let your doctor know if your symptoms are accompanied by:
Your doctor can diagnose lactose intolerance with a hydrogen breath test. Avoiding foods containing lactose is the best way to avoid symptoms.
What Complications Are Associated With Diarrhoea
Diarrhoea may cause dehydration. More fluids are lost from the body when you have diarrhoea than normally. Dehydration can lead to a loss of electrolytes minerals your body needs to function properly. This is why rehydration is so important.
Diarrhoea causes food to move quickly through your body. If this is ongoing it makes it difficult for you to absorb nutrients and can lead to malnutrition.
Some people may develop temporary lactose intolerance after an episode of diarrhoea or gastroenteritis. See your doctor if the symptoms continue for more than a couple of weeks.
Don’t Miss: Align Prebiotics
What To Do If You Have Stomach Cancer Or Ulcer Symptoms
- If you have burning pain in your upper stomach that is relieved by eating or taking antacids, call a health-care professional for an appointment. Dont assume you have an ulcer. Certain other conditions can cause similar symptoms.
- If you vomit blood or have other signs of gastrointestinal bleeding, go to an emergency department right away. Peptic ulcers can cause massive bleeding, which requires blood transfusion or surgery.
- Severe abdominal pain suggests perforation or tearing of an ulcer. This is an emergency that may require surgery to fix a hole in your stomach.
- Vomiting and abdominal pain also can be a sign of an obstruction, another complication of peptic ulcers. This also may require emergency surgery.
Dont Miss: Why Does The Left Side Of My Stomach Hurt
Try Turkey Tail Mushroom
This amazing fungus has probiotic properties to help keep your dogs gut bacteria in balance. This means a healthier digestive tract and less risk your dog will suffer from an upset stomach. Furthermore, turkey tail mushroom has many other health benefits for your dog from boosting their immune system to helping fight off certain diseases.
Don’t Miss: Medicine For Inflammation In Chest
What Are The Symptoms Of A Peptic Ulcer Does It Cause Pain
Ulcers do not always cause symptoms. Sometimes, a serious complication such as bleeding or a sudden, bad upper abdominal pain is the first sign of an ulcer.
The most common symptom of peptic ulcers is abdominal pain.
- The pain is usually in the upper middle part of the abdomen, above the belly button and below the breastbone.
- The ulcer pain can feel like burning, or gnawing, and it may go through to the back.
- Pain often comes several hours after a meal when the stomach is empty.
- The pain is often worse at night and early morning.
- It can last anywhere from a few minutes to several hours.
- The ulcer pain may be relieved by food, antacids, or vomiting.
Other symptoms of peptic ulcers include the following:
- Loss of appetite
- Loss of weight
Severe ulcers may cause bleeding in the stomach or duodenum. Bleeding is sometimes the only symptom of an ulcer. This bleeding can be fast or slow. Fast bleeding reveals itself in one of the following ways:
- Vomiting of blood or dark material that looks something like coffee grounds: This is an emergency and warrants an immediate visit to an emergency department.
- Blood in the stool or black, tarry, sticky-looking stools
Slow bleeding is often more difficult to detect, because it has no dramatic symptoms.
- The usual result is low blood cell count .
- The symptoms of anemia are tiredness , lack of energy , weakness, rapid heartbeat , and pale skin .
Feeling Nauseous Or Vomiting
At some point in your life, you will feel nauseous which can be accompanied by vomiting . The reasons we feel nauseous and/or vomit are many, including motion sickness, overeating, gastrointestinal infection, or a bowel obstruction . If you or a loved one frequently feels nauseous with or without vomiting, its important to schedule an appointment with your healthcare provider.
Also Check: Are Align Probiotics Good
Remedies And Treatments For Upset Stomach And Diarrhea
Upset Stomach Remedies
Most stomach ailments can be treated at home. As soon as you start feeling sick, begin limiting your diet to clear liquids in frequent, small amounts. Make sure to drink enough fluids to keep your urine clear or a pale yellow.
If youâre not able to keep liquids down and begin to vomit, start with sips of water or sucking on ice chips. Once you are able to keep that down, try other fluids like:
- Clear soup broth or bouillon
- Clear soft-drinks like 7-Up, Sprite, or Ginger Ale
- Juices like apple, grape, cherry, or cranberry
Once you are able to keep all liquids down, try some solid foods along with the liquids. Good foods to try are:
- White rice
- White toast
It may take several days to one week to regain your appetite, energy level, and for your bowels to regain normalcy.
Diarrhea TreatmentsMost cases of diarrhea clear on their own within a couple of days without treatment. If you’ve tried lifestyle changes and home remedies for an upset stomach and diarrhea without success, your doctor might recommend the following:
Antibiotics might help treat diarrhea caused by bacteria or parasites. If a virus is causing your diarrhea, antibiotics won’t help. Alternatively, if your doctor determines that antibiotics are whatâs causing your diarrhea, they will likely lower the dose or switch to another medication.
Treatment to Replace Fluids
Treating underlying conditions
Upset Stomach and Diarrhea Prevention
Should You Take A Prescription
Your doctor may prescribe medicine to help control your symptoms if you often have diarrhea because of irritable bowel syndrome . These medicines include:
Eluxadoline can slow down gut contractions. That might ease your pain. But you shouldnÃ¢t use it if you donÃ¢t have a gallbladder. It could lead to pancreatitis. ThatÃ¢s when your pancreas is inflamed.
Rifaximinis an antibiotic that works on certain bacteria in your gut. YouÃ¢d likely only take it for 2 weeks. ItÃ¢s sometimes used to treat travelerÃ¢s diarrhea.
New IBS-D drugs are in the works. Ask your doctor if there are more options you can try.
Inflammatory bowel diseases, like CrohnÃ¢s disease or ulcerative colitis, can cause ongoing diarrhea. Your doctor will give you another kind of prescription to manage those conditions.
Read Also: Does Pepcid Help Ibs
What Does It Mean When You Have A Headache And Stomach Ache And Diarrhea
Abdominal migraines are a subtype of migraine thats associated with diarrhea. In people who experience an abdominal migraine, the pain is generally felt in the abdomen, not the head. Abdominal migraines can also include nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea. Children are more likely to experience abdominal migraines.
What Alcohol Is Good For Upset Stomach
Whiskey is a Digestion Aid When you drink whiskey after a big, delicious meal , it helps you digest your food. ) can assist in the relief of indigestion. The high proof whiskey activates the enzymes in the stomach that aid in the digestion of food. Whiskey is a great addition to your next happy hour because of this benefit.
Also Check: Diarrhea After Eating Lettuce
Prevention Of Peptic Ulcers
Using alternatives to NSAIDs, like acetaminophen, to relieve pain can help prevent peptic ulcers. If you need to use an NSAID, opt for the lowest dose and take it with a meal.
Peptic ulcers caused by infection with Helicobacter pylori are not usually preventable, but good hygiene such as washing your hands thoroughly before eating and after using the bathroom may help limit the spread.
Causes Of Abdominal Pain And Diarrhea
Frequent, constant, or severe abdominal pain and diarrhea may indicate a disease or a more serious medical issue. Diarrhea that gets progressively worse and is bloody can also be a sign of a more serious issue. Possible causes of abdominal pain and diarrhea include:
The above conditions and disorders can cause inflammation in different parts of your digestive tract, like the stomach and intestines. When your digestive system is inflamed, you might have cramps and trouble with typical digestive processes. This usually results in abdominal pain and diarrhea.
Abdominal pain and diarrhea that last for more than a week or keep coming back may be a sign of an intestinal disease or disorder. Talk with your doctor if youve experienced these symptoms for more than a week or on a reoccurring basis.
Read Also: Almond Milk Makes Me Bloated
Causes Of An Upset Stomach
If your stomach is bothering you, it is most likely due to irritation or inflammation of your stomach lining. There are several different reasons why the lining could get irritated or inflamed.
One of the reasons could be from eating or drinking too much. Sometimes its as simple as that you had too much food during you most recent meal. Instead of having two slices of pizza you ate seven.
Drinking too much of anything can also cause an upset stomach. That includes alcohol, soda, juice, sports drinks, and even water. Although you should drink plenty of water throughout the day, if you drink too much of it too fast it can cause your belly to hurt.
Food allergies are another cause of your problem. If you are unsure about foods you may be allergic to, you can consult with your doctor and get some tests run. Common food allergies include gluten, dairy, fish, or nuts. If certain foods bother your stomach every time you eat them, its best to avoid those and find out if you are allergic.
Its also possible to get sick from food that you are not allergic to. Food poising occurs when bacteria, viruses, or parasites are in the food youre eating. That can happen if your meal is not properly prepared. For example, undercooked meat or chicken can lead to food poisoning.
Indigestion is another common cause of stomach pain. It happens when your body cannot properly process the food you ate. Poor diet choices and dehydration can cause indigestion.
How Long Will Indigestion Last
Indigestion might go way as soon as you change your diet and habits. If you do take medication for your upset stomach, only do so with your healthcare providers approval. Some medications, especially acid reducers, can have long-term side effects. These may include an increased risk of infections or low levels of important nutrients.
Don’t Miss: Rennie For Heartburn
How Can I Feel Better
Your rectal area may become sore because of all the bowel movements that diarrhea brings. You may have itching, burning, or pain when you go to the bathroom.
For relief, take a warm bath or sitz bath. Afterward, pat the area dry with a clean, soft towel. You may also try using a hemorrhoid cream or petroleum jelly on the affected area. If this continues for several days, you should contact your doctor.
Can Red Wine Upset Your Stomach
Irrespective of how rare it may be, intestinal distress caused by alcohol consumption is very real. A 2012 German study found that some participants were allergic to red wine or had an adverse reaction to it, but that wine or alcohol can have beneficial effects on the digestive system, according to research.
Don’t Miss: Alka Seltzer Bloating
How Do I Stop Pooping Anxiety
A Gastroenterologists Top 5 Ways To Stop Nervous Poops Decrease Caffeine Intake. Its crucial to decrease caffeine intake as it may exacerbate the need to go to the bathroom. Be Aware Of What Youre Eating. Destress With Exercise And Meditation. Make Sure Youre Getting Enough Fiber. See A Doctor If You Need To.
How Are Peptic Ulcers Diagnosed
Your healthcare provider will look at your past health and give you a physical exam. You may also have some tests.
Imaging tests used to diagnose ulcers include:
- Upper GI series or barium swallow. This test looks at the organs of the top part of your digestive system. It checks your food pipe , stomach, and the first part of the small intestine . You will swallow a metallic fluid called barium. Barium coats the organs so that they can be seen on an X-ray.
- Upper endoscopy or EGD . This test looks at the lining of your esophagus, stomach, and duodenum. It uses a thin lighted tube called an endoscope. The tube has a camera at one end. The tube is put into your mouth and throat. Then it goes into your esophagus, stomach, and duodenum. Your health care provider can see the inside of these organs. A small tissue sample can be taken. This can be checked for H. pylori.
You may also have the following lab tests to see if you have an H. pylori infection:
Don’t Miss: Align Women’s Health Prebiotic And Probiotic