How Can I Treat Constipation
- Gently move your babys legs in a bicycling motion to help move the hard stools along her intestine .
- If your baby is drinking formula, make sure you are using the recommended amount of milk powder when making up a bottle, as too much powder can dehydrate your baby, causing constipation . Your doctor may also recommend trying a different brand.
- If your baby has started solids, give her plenty of water. Plenty of fibre in your older babys diet could also help . Pureed or chopped apples, apricots, blueberries, grapes, pears, plums, prunes, raspberries and strawberries, and vegetables and legumes are all high in fibre. You could also add a small amount of high-fibre cereal to your babys usual breakfast cereal .
How To Deal With Baby Constipation
This article was co-authored by Laura Marusinec, MD. Dr. Marusinec is a board certified Pediatrician at the Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin, where she is on the Clinical Practice Council. She received her M.D. from the Medical College of Wisconsin School of Medicine in 1995 and completed her residency at the Medical College of Wisconsin in Pediatrics in 1998. She is a member of the American Medical Writers Association and the Society for Pediatric Urgent Care.There are 9 references cited in this article, which can be found at the bottom of the page.wikiHow marks an article as reader-approved once it receives enough positive feedback. In this case, 100% of readers who voted found the article helpful, earning it our reader-approved status. This article has been viewed 317,013 times.
If youre a parent with a baby, you probably often look to your babys diapers as one measure of her health.XResearch source When your baby poops regularly, its a sign that she is getting enough to eat. But if your baby isnt pooping regularly or is having trouble pooping, she may be constipated. By confirming a case of constipation, relieving it, and then taking steps to prevent it again, you can deal with a babys constipation.
A Reaction To A Certain Formula
Formula-fed babies, in general, dont poo as often, so theres no need to worry if its been a few days. Talk to your GP if youre concerned as they may recommend trying a different kind of formula. Specific hydrolysed formulas contain protein that is broken down into smaller pieces, so are easier for babies to digest.
Read Also: What Does Ibs Stand For Urban Dictionary
How To Ease Constipation In Babies
First, it’s always best to consult your pediatrician if you suspect constipation. This way, you can ID potential allergies, rule out other underlying causes, determine that the issues is indeed constipation, and find a solution that works for your baby.
There are things you can do at home to help the problem, too. Start here, suggests Dolgoff:
- If your baby is four to eight months old, try two to four ounces of 100 percent prune, apple, or pear juice for two weeks .
- Try high-fiber baby foods barley cereal, sweet potatoes, prunes, pears, peas, beans, broccoli.
- Ask your doctor about Miralax or sorbitol, safe and effective laxatives.
Top 10 Best Baby Formulas For Constipation
So, what are the best baby formulas for constipation? We recommend considering the 3 must-haves on our check list below and then choosing from one of the ten options on this list.
The formula options listed below are widely available through local and online retailers. All 10 of these formulas are considered the best for constipation due to their formulation with specific ingredients that may help reduce constipation symptoms and may help keep your child on a more regular bowel movement schedule. You will also find alternatives for milk-based formula here, as this commonly clears up constipation issues.
Recommended Reading: Can An Umbilical Hernia Cause Constipation
Easy Ways To Help Baby With Constipation
Enfamil Reguline Constipation Our #1 Choice Of Baby Formula For Constipation
This formula by Enfamil was designed specifically to help relieve and reduce constipation. The ingredients include easy to digest proteins that can be broken down more quickly than other formulas. The formula also contains baby probiotics for intestinal support.
This blend should help your baby to produce an easy to pass stool and keep them regular.
Also Check: What To Eat If Your Constipated
How To Help A Constipated Baby Or Toddler
Constipation doesnt just make your little one miserable. It can get worse when left untreated, making it even harder for your child to pass stool. So if you suspect constipation is the cause of her discomfort, take quick steps to get things moving again with these tips for baby and toddler constipation relief.
Pay attention to the calendar, too. You should call the doctor if your newborn formula-fed baby has passed less than one stool a day or if your older baby or toddler hasnt had a bowel movement for four or five days.
Constipation is rarely an issue for exclusively breastfed babies, but if your little one seems to be going longer than normal without a poop and youre concerned, theres no harm in checking in with the doc.
You should call the doctor, too, if your baby or toddlers constipation is accompanied by abdominal pain or vomiting, theres blood in her stool, or at-home measures to get things going arent working.
Why Does This Happen
Most of a baby’s milk gets absorbed by his body, leaving very little waste product. Babies have an incredible growth spurt at this time in their lives, sometimes putting on as much as a pound in a week or two. All the calories, protein, fat, and other nutrients in the baby’s milk provide the necessary nutrition to do this. The baby’s intestines are designed to absorb as much of these nutrients as possible, and not much will be left over. Also, there is not much in infant formula that is “indigestible”
You May Like: Which Foods Cause Leaky Gut
What Can I Do If My Baby Is Truly Constipated
Some helpful, safe remedies that soften the stool include:
- a teaspoon of dark Karo syrup in the bottle
- a tablespoon of the heavy syrup found in a can of peaches or pears
- an ounce of the “p” juices: prune, pear, peach, or pineapple
We do NOT recommend:
- honey in the bottle
- glycerin suppositories
- putting other things in the baby’s rectum, like soap or pencils
What If Baby Is Passing Gas But Not Stool
You may notice that your baby is still passing gas but isnt pooping…this probably isnt cause for concern. Some babies just get gassy in between poops without being constipated. In most cases, a babys gas and constipation will resolve on their own. Remember, a babys digestive system is brand new…so its still getting the hang of how to function.
Recommended Reading: What Does A Bloated Stomach Mean
Should You See A Doctor About Constipation In Children
You should take your child to the GP if your child:
- needs a laxative more than a few times a year
- has constipation that doesnt get better after you give them a laxative
- hasnt done a poo for seven days
- poos in their pants without meaning to
- has constipation and also fever, vomiting, blood in their poo or weight loss
- has painful cracks in the skin around their anus
- has constipation and youre worried they arent eating or drinking enough.
How To Relieve Babys Constipation
When you first start introducing purees, or when you introduce a new food, to your baby it is completely normal for them to get a little bit backed up. Your babys delicate digestive tract needs a little time to process all the new nutrients, fiber, and probiotics that you are giving it.
This is completely normal, so you dont have to do into panic mode.
While I love and completely trust the Constipation Cure Puree recipe below to do its job, let me warn you that this puree is not for the weak of heart. It will definitely get things going and while you will love me for that, you might also curse me when its time to change your babys diaper.
What all of the 6 purees below have in common, is that they all have produce that starts with the letter P in them prunes, peaches, peas, plums and pears. P produce helps get things moving down there all while tasting delicious so your baby will eat them. If you want, you can also add in a pinch of fresh ginger to any of the recipes below. Ginger is great for helping aid in digestion, calming an upset stomach and easing discomfort associated with constipation.
You May Like: Does Fasting Give You Diarrhea
What To Expect At Your Office Visit
Your child’s provider will perform a physical exam. This may include a rectal exam.
The provider may ask you questions about your child’s diet, symptoms, and bowel habits.
The following tests may help find the cause of constipation:
- Blood tests such as a complete blood count
- X-rays of the abdomen
The provider may recommend the use of stool softeners or laxatives. If stools are impacted, glycerin suppositories or saline enemas may be recommended also.
Foods That Help Relieve Constipation In Infants
Now that you know which foods cause constipation in babies, so avoid incorporating them into your babys diet. If your baby is already suffering from constipation, then include these high-fibre foods in your babys diet. These foods will not only relieve the condition but also prevent it from occurring in future.
How To Help A Constipated Baby
No parent likes to see their child in discomfort and distress, so knowing how to help a constipated baby can make a world of difference. First and foremost, though, its important to realize that constipation in newborns can be a different issue than constipation in older babies. If your baby is not even a month old yet, talk to your pediatrician right awayat this age, constipation could be a sign of an underlying issue, such as Hirschsprungs disease, a rare congenital condition that happens in about one out of 5,000 births and typically requires surgery.
Additionally, if youre exclusively breastfeeding, its important to count those dirty diapers each day because infrequent stooling might actually be a sign of not enough feeding volume, says Blythe.
But if youve spoken to your pediatrician and ruled out other issues, there are some baby constipation home remedies and treatments you can turn to. Here are some things you shouldand shouldnt try to help a constipated baby:
How Long Can A Baby Go Without Pooping
In some cases, longer than you might think. While many little ones poop every day, its possible and not necessarily something to panic about if a baby goes 24 hours without pooping and even up to a full week without a bowel movement.
Since exclusively breastfed babies sometimes use up every bit of breast milk towards energy production, its not unusual for them to sometimes go up to seven days without pooping.
But formula-fed babies, babies whove started solids, and toddlers tend to poop more often than that. For them, going more than two to four days or so could be a sign of constipation, provided theyre also straining to go and generally seem uncomfortable.
That said, every child is different, and some babies and toddlers simply go a little longer in between, well, going, than others. So pay attention to whats typical for your little one.
If she often goes two or three days in between poops, constipation might not pop up on your radar unless shes been BM-free for four days. But if your child normally goes like clockwork every single day, you might watch for signs of constipation after a day or two without poop.
Don’t Miss: What Does Ibs Mean In Texting
So Is There A Best Baby Formula For Constipation
If you think your formula-fed baby is constipated, a slew of questions are likely going through your head: ‘Does powder formula make babies constipated?’, ‘does changing baby formula cause constipation?’, ‘can ingredients like palm olein oil contribute to constipation?’
First: There’s no *one* formula that’s been shown to decrease or prevent constipation and there’s no best baby formula for constipation, says Dolgoff. “According to the AAP, changing the formula is not necessarily what’s going to help treat constipation.”
By switching sips unnecessarily, you might just be honing in on a solution that’s not all that effective, too, says Bhavana Arora, M.D., a pediatrician and medical director of the CHLA Health Network, a group of more than 160 L.A.-based community pediatricians. Or worse: Changing baby formula could potentially cause constipation, contributing to abdominal discomfort as the baby’s GI system has to adjust to the change, says Dawkins.
That’s why doctors don’t usually suggest changing formula without knowing exactly what’s causing symptoms.
Inculcate A Habit Of Defecation
Make your child understand that having a bowel movement whenever they feel the urge is a good habit, even when at their preschool. If they resist their bowel movements, make them sit on the toilet for around 10 minutes at the same time daily, preferably after a meal.
Avoiding the following factors can help in preventing the condition from getting worse, including:
- Consumption of a diet rich in starchy, sugary, or fatty foods, which can slow down bowel movements
- Addition of malt extract, rice cereal, or any sugar to formula
- Feeding apple sauce, cooked carrots, bananas, and rice to the toddler
- Giving solid foods to babies below 6 months of age
- Intake of cow milk by constipated babies
- Use of medications without a doctors recommendation
Don’t Miss: How Do You Heal Leaky Gut
Best Baby Formula For Constipation
Many formula-fed babies experience constipation. Between the ingredients in the formula and the consistency of powder-based mixtures, slower digestion and constipation may occur. A quick way to resolve this issue is to consider the current formula your baby is consuming. Oftentimes, switching to a new formula can resolve their discomfort. Thats why we went on the hunt for the best baby formula for constipation!
These top 10 formulas for constipation were chosen because of their ingredients, consistency, and bases. All of which can provide relief and help reduce future occurrences.
Dos When Your Baby Suffers From Constipation
- Keep your baby hydrated. Give him/her fluids at equal intervals.
- Set up regular toilet time and encourage your child to poo.
- Before giving juices to the baby, dilute them with water otherwise, it may cause diarrhea, bloating, or gas.
- If you are a breastfeeding mom, eliminate dairy products from your diet.
- Include physical activities like jumping, running, and walking in your childs day-to-day routine. It helps the digestive system function properly.
Also Check: How Many Probiotics To Take Daily
Signs That Your Baby Is Constipated
Youve noticed that your babys tummy isnt following the schedule that you got used to. Could it be constipation? Here are the signs that could confirm your suspicions:
- You notice that they cry or fuss while theyre trying to have a hard bowel movement.
- The poop, when it does come, is like hard pellets.
- You notice streaks of red blood in the hard poop.
While its not easy for a baby on a liquid diet to become constipated, trouble can start when you start introducing your baby to solid foods at around 6 months. Heres why:
Baby Constipation Remedies And Relief:
- Change Baby’s formula. Starting a new formula may resolve constipation. Some infants have softer stools when they drink formula from concentrate versus powder-based . Ask your babys doctor for guidance.
- Slightly dilute the mix. Your babys poops may improve when you add a tablespoon of organic adult prune juice or one ounce of water into the formula, once or twice a day .
- Give a bottle of water. If the weather is very hot and your baby is showing signs of dehydration, depending on your baby’s age, you can give a few extra ounces of waterjust be sure to check in with your doctor beforehand.
- Open the door. Babies trying to poop often have a hard time squeezing the stomach muscles and relaxing the rectum at the same time. They accidentally tighten the anuswhen they should be easing itand consequently, they strain to push the poop out the door! To relax your babys anus, bicycle their legs and gently press their knees down to their stomach a few times. If this fails, you can insert a Vaseline-greased thermometer or cotton swabjust one-half to one inchinto the anus. Babies usually respond by bearing down to push the object outoften pushing poop out at the same time.
- Change up solid foods. White foods can bind a baby up. But, certain fruits and veggies like broccoli, plums, prunes, prune juice, or fresh aloe juice can help get pooping back on a regular schedule.
Note: Never give honey or corn syrup as a laxative, before the first birthday.
Also Check: Does Black Tea Cause Constipation