Bloating During Ovulation With Gas: Causes Treatment
Question: What causes gas and bloating during ovulation? How long does ovulation bloating last?
Ovulation is a normal physiologic process that women experience from time to time. While you are expecting your period to begin, most times, you get different body symptoms that show your menstruation is close. Likewise, there are also other signs that can help you identify ovulation.
One common way is through the thickness of your discharge. During ovulation, an egg-like stretchy discharge is one way to tell if you are ovulating.
Another symptom a lot of girl experience is bloating during ovulation. Bloating is a perception of a swollen or distended stomach that makes you feel youve added more weight. Most times, you begin to feel cramps and belly tightness.
Abdominal bloating during and after ovulation occurs because of hormones, and the truth is, in most women, its not a cause for concern.
Heres an email from one of my readers
Just like Funmi, you will be worried if you experience cyclical symptoms of bloating that occurs during ovulation But you shouldnt. It occurs because of ovulation hormones, and may sometimes be worsened by what you have eaten or drank.
Nevertheless, bloating during ovulation may occur for some other serious reasons that will require you to see a doctor immediately. Irritable bowel syndrome, lactose intolerance, food allergy, overeating, constipation are other causes of bloating.
What Are Home Remedies For Bloating During Ovulation
There are many things you can do to reduce bloating:
- Reduce salt intake: Increased salt intake can contribute to bloating. Focus on eating fresh foods and cutting back on the processed or high-sodium foods.
- Drink more water: Though it may sound strange, try to increase your water intake as well. Your body will hold on to more water when your sodium level is higher. Drinking more water signals your body that it doesnt need to hold onto water. This can relieve water retention and bloating.
- Try a low FODMAP diet: FODMAPs are fermentable oligo-, di-, mono-saccharides and polyols. This is basically a fancy term for carbohydrates that cannot be digested. They are therefore more likely to create issues with bloating. FODMAP foods include broccoli, garlic, cauliflower, cabbage, watermelon, beans, onion, wheat, and pears.
- Participate in regular aerobic exercise: Regular exercise stimulates blood flow and reduces fluid buildup. This can help with bloating and water retention.
- Practice stress management: Increased stress levels cause the release of cortisol, the stress hormone. When cortisol levels are high, another hormone, known as antidiuretic hormone is also high. This keeps extra water in the body. Finding ways to stress less can help keep water levels in balance and reduce bloating.
Changes In Cervical Mucus
Cervical mucus consists primarily of water. It changes in consistency during your fertile window because of changes in the levels of hormones like estrogen and progesterone and may provide clues about ovulation.
The change in cervical mucus consistency around the time of ovulation helps transport sperm to an egg.
During your fertile window, this nutrient-rich, slippery fluid increases in volume. It also becomes thinner, stretchy in texture, and clear in color. Cervical mucus is often described as having an egg-white consistency during this time.
In the days leading up to ovulation, you may notice more discharge than usual because of an increase in cervical mucus volume.
When youre at your most fertile, cervical mucus may help keep sperm alive for an average of 3 days but potentially up to . This increases your chance of conception and provides lubrication for intercourse.
You can check the consistency of cervical mucous by observing it in your underwear liner.
Recommended Reading: How To Not Be Bloated Fast
Does Ovulation Cause Bloating
The term bloating refers to feeling increased abdominal pressure without an accompanying increase in abdominal size. Swelling, on the other hand, is when your bodys tissues retain fluid. Both conditions can make you feel puffy.
Just before the onset of ovulation, your estrogen and luteinizing hormone levels surge. These hormonal shifts may trigger water retention and swelling, not to mention complications in the gastrointestinal tract, resulting in bloating during ovulation.
For most, ovulation bloating tends to resolve on its own a few hours to a few days later. But if bloating during ovulation persists or stems from another medical issue , make sure to consult a health care provider.
Bloating During Ovulation : The Ultimate Guide To Overcome It
Have you ever wondered why you always get a bloated feeling each month at the same time? Or, why you cant fit in your clothes for only a few days? Well, it could be due to the fact you are ovulating. Yes, bloating during ovulation is a thing, and it is not a good thing as you and I know.
Unfortunately, it is actually something women need to add to their list of horrible symptoms felt each month. Dont you agree that women deserve awards for everything they need to face for just being females.
Bloating during ovulation can be managed to the point of toleration or avoided completely. Pain killers like Advil or Tylenol can ease some PMS symptoms, but it doesnt manage bloating during ovulation.
I wish there was a pill you can take to avoid all the symptoms you have to deal with during certain times of the month.
There is no one pill, but there are certain foods and actions you can do to help you. If you would like to know why ovulation causes pain and bloating and how to solve the problem, keep reading.
Disclosure: I only recommend products that I have tried and liked. This post may contain affiliate links, I may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Also, I am not a doctor. This post is for informational purposes only and should not be taken as medical advice.
Recommended Reading: Can You Get Heartburn From Not Eating
Don’t Miss: What Can Cause Stomach Bloating
Is A Bloating/gassy Feeling After Sex Normal
Hi,Im 17-years-old and I had intercourse for the very first time today with my boyfriendand yes, we did used a condom. Now, about 3 hours after we had sex, I feel gassy, a crampy and a little bloated. The gass is actually very painful at times. Is this normal? As for my cycle, incase thats what is causing my discomfort, its about 32 or 33 days and Im on day 25 or 26.Please help.
A Doctor Explained 4 Possible Reasons Behind Your Postsex Bloating And Its Intriguing
Have you ever had amazing sex with your partner, only to experience discomfort and bloating in your stomach afterwards? Youre not alone. It may seem strange to bloat after sexual intercourse of all things! but its not as uncommon as one may think. Unfortunately there isnt a quick fix to ease your bloating, but understanding more about your anatomy may help you get down to the bottom of your postsex bloating.
Dont Miss: Can Prenatal Vitamins Cause Diarrhea
Also Check: How To Heal A Leaky Gut Naturally
Cramping 3 4 Or 5 Days After Ovulation
Ovulation cramping that you feel from 3 to 5 days after your body releases an egg for fertilization could be connected to an underlying health condition.
Some women start to experience pre-menstrual syndrome symptoms like abdominal cramping and light belly aches as early as 2 weeks before their period. So, cramping up to a week after ovulation has occurred could be one of the PMS symptoms.
Recommended Reading: Can Prenatal Vitamins Cause Diarrhea
The Other Time Of The Month
Your menstrual cycle can affect you in some surprising ways.
Yeah, yeah, weâve all heard the jokes about âthat time of the month,â when our hormones are so out of whack that we might as well be on the all-Twinkie diet. The teasing might be funny but the misery is real: bloating, cramping, mood swings, and more.
But did you know that the rise and fall in hormones that drives our menstrual cycle affects just about every part of our body all month long? And the period around ovulationâ when estrogen levels zoom â can really hit us in some unexpected ways.
We call it âthe other time of the month.â
âThereâs a connection to almost all the common ailments â asthma, arthritis, migraine, diabetes, and some of the less common, like epilepsy,â says Mary H.H. Ensom, PharmD, of Childrenâs and Womenâs Health Centre of British Columbia in Vancouver. And thatâs not to mention the link to the common cold, canker sores, and sex drive.
Before we tell you how your body works in such mysterious ways, hereâs a quick primer on the hormone roller coaster.
The average menstrual cycle takes about 28 days, with a range of 25-35 days considered as normal. The monthly cycle occurs in phases: the follicular phase, the ovulatory phase and the luteal phase.
The ovulatory phase, or ovulation, occurs about day 14. One egg or follicle in your ovary emerges as the dominant one. Itâs ripe and ready to drop, and thereâs a surge and peak in estrogen.
You May Like: Can Cranberry Juice Cause Heartburn
Why Do Eggs Give You Gas
He who smelt it
Eggs are the ultimate breakfast food however, its not uncommon to experience a bit of thunder down under following the meal, likely causing you to ponder,why do eggs give you gas? There are several reasons why eggs make you gassy, and they can be a trigger for people with food sensitivities or might indicate a predisposition for abdominal discomfort and poor digestion. But before ditching your veggie omelet, consider this: Are eggs causing pain or simply just producing a little more gas than youd really like? If you are in pain, it might be smart to get an allergy test or swap eggs for oatmeal to see if you notice a reduction in symptoms. If its simply experiencing gas after eggs, its definitely tolerable .
The most common reason for gas is food intolerance, explains Susan Berkman, a registered dietitian at the Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center. There are a few reasons that you may experience gas or bloating after eating eggs. You may have an egg intolerance, meaning that you lack an enzyme required to break down certain components of the egg, she defines.
On the other hand, an egg allergy is an immune response to the egg proteins, and may have other symptoms than just gastrointestinal discomfort, says Berkman. Egg allergy symptoms include respiratory difficulties, hives and rash, and anaphylaxis .
Also Check: Does Bananas Give You Gas
Can Bloating After Ovulation Mean Pregnancy
Suppose you are expecting or had unprotected sexual intercourse, cramping, and bloating after ovulation until a period can signify pregnancy. There is no reason to worry if you have used protection during sex, and it is unlikely you will get pregnant after protected intercourse.
Read Also: How To Get Rid Of Heartburn While Pregnant
Home Remedies For Quick Relief
While the pain is rarely severe, taking a few steps will ensure that you keep the pain at bay. Before you rush into grabbing a painkiller, these home remedies will sooth your discomfort just as well.
Add a tablespoon of vinegar in a glass of warm water and drink the mixture every few hours. The abdominal pain will soon be gone.
Heat some water and place it in a bottle then press it against your tummy or the painful area on the body. It will reduce the pain in a short while.
When mixed with warm water, baking soda is a great solution to abdominal pain.
Fennel seeds can do away with post-ovulation cramping when eaten raw. However, this method is not recommended especially if you are in suspicion of being pregnant.
These remedies are better than drugs as they have no known side effects yet work perfectly.
Other Signs Of Ovulation
As mentioned, some people observe other symptoms of ovulation, including:
- Changes in vaginal discharge Discharge becomes clear, stretchy, wet, and abundant. You may spot it on your underwear or panty liner, or feel it when youre wiping after using the bathroom.
- Changes in basal body temperature Your body temperature often rises slightly after ovulation. If youre trying to get pregnant, consider tracking it with a thermometer at the same time every morning before getting out of bed to monitor your fertility.
- Changes in cervical position Right now, your cervix might be softer, higher, and more open and wet than usual. Differentiating the position of your cervix during ovulation can be tricky, but its possible with a bit of practice. After that, make a habit of checking your cervix regularly to help manage your reproductive health.
- Mittelschmerz pain In certain cases, ovulation contributes to dull or sharp lower abdominal pain on one side, associated with mild vaginal discharge or bleeding. It can last from just a few minutes to one or two days.
Aside from ovulation bloating and the above symptoms, the secondary signs of ovulation are as follows:
- One-sided abdominal or pelvic pain
- Heightened sense of taste, vision, or smell
- Increased sex drive
Also Check: How Do We Acquire Our Microbiome
Can Sperm Live For 10 Days
Although the possibility of sperm storage has rarely been considered, procedures such as artificial insemination indicate that sperm may survive in a womans body not just for 5 days but for 10 days or more. Moreover, human pregnancies following single coitus indicate conception virtually throughout the cycle.
Causes Of Ovulation Bloating
One of the leading causes of ovulation bloating is the hormonal changes that occur during and after ovulation. Hormonal changes may play havoc with your digestive tract. Due to high estrogen levels, a womans body may retain more water. Bloating during ovulation is of these changes in the body.
During the ovulation period, a woman may gain some weight due to fuller breasts and ovulation bloating. This weight gain during ovulation is due to water retention that happens in response to the change in hormone levels. A woman may crave salty and fatty foods, which leads to water retention, resulting in bloating and weight gain during ovulation.
Also Check: Are Dried Apricots Good For Constipation
Ovulation Bloating Vs Premenstrual Bloating
The easiest way to distinguish between premenstrual bloating and ovulation bloating is by tracking your monthly cycle. Ovulation bloating appears in the middle of your cycle, several days before actual ovulation. In contrast, PMS bloating begins after ovulation, potentially starting a week before your period and lasting up to a week after. Additional PMS symptoms could include:
- Breast tenderness or swelling
What To Do If Youre Experiencing Bloating During Ovulation
Several home remedies can help you manage the discomfort due to bloating. The following tips may help resolve your symptoms:
- Drink about eight ounce glasses of water daily.
- Reduce salt consumption .
- Exercise regularly.
- If you typically experience bloating during every cycle, slowly increase your fiber intake .
- Avoid fizzy, carbonated drinks, as these can cause bloating.
- If time permits it, practice a relaxation technique such as yoga. Taking a warm bath may also help you to relax. Relaxation can decrease stress levels, which may allow your gastrointestinal tract to function more effectively and help reduce your symptoms.
- Take a magnesium supplement. Research has shown a link between low magnesium levels and increased stress. However, if you plan to take a magnesium supplement, you should consult your doctor first.
Overall, ovulation can make you bloated and may be accompanied by other signs and symptoms of ovulation such as one-sided lower abdominal pain , cervical mucus changes, changes in your basal body temperature, breast tenderness, fatigue, libido changes or light spotting.
In most cases, bloating is mild and usually resolves within two days. It is advisable that you see a medical professional if the symptoms persist or if you have a medical condition that may be causing you to experience bloating.
Recommended Reading: Does Gas X Make You Constipated
How Long Does Ovulation Bloating Last
Many women experience bloating during the week of ovulation. You may find that you start to experience ovulation symptoms as early as 5 days prior to ovulation, and continue to experience them until a few days after ovulation.
Ovulation symptoms can vary from woman to woman. If you experience ovulation symptoms for longer than a week, it is a good idea to consult your doctor to rule out other gynaecological disorders like endometriosis and polycystic ovarian syndrome .
Top Warning Sign Of Lower Abdomen Pain After Sex
Posted February 24, 2022
Pain during or after sex, also known as dyspareunia, is very common in women across the globe. For many, this is not a cause for concern. However, if you notice your pain lasting longer than three months, you may have something going on.
The best way to know for sure if your pain is sex-related is to track your symptoms. Do you have stomach pain after eating certain foods, exercising, or only after sex? If your condition is specifically sex-related, you will need to seek professional advice.
Also Check: What To Take For Stomach Cramps And Diarrhea
You May Like: How Can Probiotics Help Me
Ovulation Pain Taking Care Of Yourself
Consult with your doctor to make sure that your ovulation pain isnt caused by any underlying medical problem. Suggestions on taking care of benign ovulation pain yourself include:
- Try to relax. If the pain is particularly bothersome, rest in bed whenever you can.
- Use pain-relieving medication.
- Apply warmth to your lower abdomen. Use heat packs, hot water bottles or warm baths.
- Take anti-inflammatory medication. See your doctor or pharmacist for recommendations.
- The pill and other forms of hormonal contraceptive can prevent ovulation pain because they stop ovulation. Talk over this option with your doctor.
- See your doctor if you experience ovulation pain that lasts longer than three days, or if you have other symptoms such as heavy bleeding or discharge.
Dont Miss: Why Does Lettuce Give Me Diarrhea