But There Are 2 Big Problems With Fish Oil For Us Leaky Gutters
To solve these 2 problems you need to find a molecularly distilled fish oil AND one that uses enteric coated capsules . Together that means less toxins and less reflux.
My research team and I make Smart Omega fish oil to satisfy both these points.
Best of all, we push ourselves much further in terms of distillation to the point that our formula is triple strength and meets the strictest purity standards in the US as set out in Californias Prop 65.
Thats why I use it every day and experience no fishy burps. Perfect!
Leaky Gut Diet Meal Ideas
A common step in improving leaky gut symptoms is to make some changes in your diet. Generally, the goal here is to reduce your intake of foods that may be causing inflammation. Switch these foods for healthy, whole foods, and consume a natural diet. Ultimately, shortly after switching your diet to minimize gut inflammation, you may find that your symptoms of leaky gut are improved.
Moreover, here are some leaky gut diet meal ideas that are packed with foods that promote healthy changes in your gut flora.
In the mornings, start your day off right with a smoothie that has been made with dairy alternative milk, chia seeds, and loaded with your favorite fruits.
Some other breakfast ideas are:
- Greek yogurt topped with fresh fruit such as blueberries, kiwi, strawberries, and raspberries
- Oatmeal made with dairy free alternatives and topped with blueberries or your favorite fruit. If you dont want to use dairy free milk, try using water.
- Toasted sourdough bread and scrambled eggs
To help keep you full until dinner time, prep a tuna salad that is loaded with greens. Swap your normal salad dressing for a homemade vinaigrette. However, if you fancy a more filling lunch, enjoy a turkey or ham wraps filled with lettuce, and a side of fruit.
For dinner, enjoy grilled fish such as salmon with a side of green salad. Some other meal ideas include:
Learn how to optimize your gut in 5 simple steps in this video from BIOHM Health:;
What Foods Should You Eat While Following A Leaky Gut Diet
While undergoing leaky gut treatment, it’s best to prioritize foods that have anti-inflammatory properties to them. Anti-inflammatory foods should be eaten in abundance because reducing the inflammation in your gut could help rebuild a healthy gut lining and stop further leakage.;
Examples of anti-inflammatory foods include:
- Green, leafy vegetables – such as spinach, kale, and collards
- Fruits – such as strawberries, blueberries, cherries, and oranges
- Olive oil – and foods containing healthy fats
- Nuts – such as almonds and walnuts
- Fatty fish – such as salmon, mackerel, tuna, and sardines 7.
Read Also: Does Banana Cause Bloating And Gas
What About Microbiome Testing For Leaky Gut
Although it is not specifically looking at intestinal permeability, it is taking a birds eye view at the state of your gut health and can possibly pinpoint underlying causes of leaky gut as well as hidden food intolerances that are potentially sustaining leaky gut.
Like the above tests, this can be expensive.
But if you want to get an interesting look at the state of your gut health, then consider a microbiome service like Viome they ship the testing kit to you, so the whole test can be done in the privacy of your own home.
Viome is my favorite microbiome company, since they are able to not only pinpoint imbalances, but also give you plain English advice on which foods to eat and which to avoid based on your unique gut bacterial balance.
My Advice On Taking Probiotics For Leaky Gut Is Simple
- Take a high strength probiotic supplement with 30-50 billion CFUs.
- Make sure your probiotic contains multiple strains / species of bacteria , so that you are feeding your gut a healthy balance of bacteria and not drowning it with just one type. Importantly, look for a probiotic containing my 7 favorite strains: L Plantarum50, L Rhamnosus51, L Acidophilus52, B Bifidum53, B Longum54, B Lactis55 and B Coagulans56.
- Look for probiotics that include 100-300mg of prebiotics per serve, as they will support the probiotic, since prebiotics are like fuel for probiotics57. Also eat prebiotic-rich foods .
If youre looking for a probiotic supplement that ticks all the boxes above, you can try Smart Probiotic it is a next-generation probiotic-prebiotic supplement that my research team at Essential Stacks and I spent 3 months developing.
It is the exact probiotic formulation Ive always been looking for.
And thats because it is strong enough to meet our requirements , has 11 different high quality strains , contains 2 premium prebiotics, and uses delayed release capsule technology to help the probiotics survive the journey.
This combination means you get your probiotics delivered to the place where theyre actually required . And this optimal delivery process makes all the difference.
You can learn more about Smart Probiotic .
Also Check: Are Bananas Gassy
The 3 Things To Look For In A Great Digestive Enzyme Supplement
How To Live Leaky Gut Free Forever
You May Like: Is Ibs And Leaky Gut The Same
Heres How I Incorporate Coconut Products Into My Daily Life
- I use 1 tablespoon of non-hydrogenated organic coconut oil in my daily shake/juice. Tastes insanely good and as weird as this sounds, gives a lovely mouth feel to the shake. Just make sure you get quality coconut oil that is not rancid and not filled with all kinds of crazy chemicals.
- Now and then I will have half a can of coconut milk in my shake instead of the oil . Probably 2 times a week. This is the taste of island holidays in food form!
- Since my gut is now in good health and able to handle oats these days, I will cook up some gluten-free oats with coconut milk on gym days. Of course, theres a lot of energy in this sort of concoction, so best to pair with commensurate training.
- Coconut oil is my go to cooking oil for many dishes, eg a mild Thai-style chicken & broccoli stir fry.
- You might even enjoy coconut kefir91 fermented coconut milk/yogurt.
Leaky Gut Diet: What To Eat
Does diet help heal leaky gut? Learn what foods to eat on a leaky gut diet for autoimmune disease and other health conditions.
Note: The information provided in this post is not meant to diagnose or treat any disease. Please consult with your physician or qualified health care provider before undertaking any therapeutic diets.
Up until recently, the established medical community hadnt recognized leaky gut syndrome as a medical condition, but theres growing research to suggest leaky gut, aka, increased intestinal permeability, may be associated with gut troubles, autoimmune disease and other health conditions.
What exactly is leaky gut? Do you have it? How does it happen? Is there a diet for leaky gut?
Read Also: What Does Constipated Baby Poop Look Like
Is There A Test For Leaky Gut
While diagnosis is incredibly difficult as mentioned, there is one specific test that some physicians will use in order to test intestinal permeability. The test is called the mannitol and lactulose test. Both of these are water-soluble molecules that the body cannot use. Mannitol is easily absorbed by people with healthy intestinal linings, whereas lactulose is a larger molecule, and thus is only slightly absorbed. A person is instructed to drink a solution containing both of these molecules, and then their urine is collected for six hours. The amount present in the urine reflects how much was absorbed by the body a healthy test will display high levels of mannitol, and low levels of lactulose. If high levels of both are found, it indicates increased intestinal permeability. If low levels of both are found, it indicates general poor absorption of all nutrients .
It is important to note that this test is an indicator of small intestine permeability, and cannot definitively diagnose leaky gut with full certainty. Most physicians steer clear of this test, as they do not believe it is very reliable. Additionally, since increased intestinal permeability is a symptom of many other diseases, it should not be used to necessarily diagnose leaky gut syndrome, as this could prevent a patient from receiving treatment for a more serious condition they may have. Seeking the advice of a gastroenterologist is recommended, as they specialize in digestive health and the GI tract.
How I Megadose L
So You Might Also Want To Consider Temporarily Cutting
- All nightshades. Potatoes, tomatoes, eggplants, peppers etc. These guys come packed with their own form of bug repellent, alkaloids. Suffice to say, not everyone responds well to them and they can cause inflammation and digestive issues93.
- Eggs. These can spike a high allergy response in a lot of people, and the lysozyme in egg white especially may be troublesome94.
- Nuts. Like eggs, these may not react well with your body95.
- Seeds. Seeds are meant to survive dormant for long periods of time and through varying conditions so, due to being constructed of natures tough-to-crack materials, even the sprouted ones can cause issues for some people.
- All vegetable starches. If youre still struggling 30 days into the diet, well then sadly, even that innocent looking sweet potato has to go96.
- All fruits. That low sugar berry shake you started loving on the leaky gut dietwell, that is out!
- All dairy. If you were eating raw unpasteurized yogurt for the probiotics or sheep cheese, stop. Its out as well97.
Of course the best news is that these eliminations arent necessarily permanent.
In idea #36 below, well look specifically at how to reintroduce these borderline foods in later to see if they still cause issues or whether some can be permanently added back into your diet.
If You Like White Wine Add Ice Cubes Or Water Or Seltzer
This spritzer idea might seem sacrilegious to my French readers, but hey, it is an easy way for us to keep our total wine consumption limited, whilst still being able to enjoy a few glasses on a Saturday night.
The ideal amount of dilution would be 50%. So it is half wine, half non-sugar mixer .
Probably the #1 thing to look out for when choosing a white wine, is dry v sweet. The former contains much less sugar. That means sauvignon blanc and pinot grigio are your new BFFs.
I personally tend to limit my white wine consumption to the summer months, and so generally only drink red wine, which leads us to the next point
Read Also: Does Sourdough Bread Have Probiotics
Unfortunately There Is One Major Problem With A Low Fodmap Diet
The problem with eating a low FODMAP diet is that it can make it so hard to get enough fiber in our diets, especially prebiotic fiber, which feeds our good bacteria.
This is a huge issue! And it is why many medical experts are wary of recommending a low FODMAP diet. And since it is so important, well dig into it now and see what solutions exist for us.
So why does prebiotic fiber actually matter?
Well, heres the thing your good bacteria, also known as probiotics, have a slightly different appetite to you & me. Instead of hungering after some nice BBQ for example, they prefer to eat prebiotics. In other words, prebiotics are the fuel they need to grow strong.
And when our good bacteria is strong they can help us digest food better, support mood, improve immune system function, fend off bad bacteria, and of course, help with bowel movements and intestinal wall strength.
Pretty cool, right!
But most prebiotic-rich foods are high FODMAP
Unfortunately, it turns out that most foods high in prebiotics are also high in FODMAPs, eg garlic, onion, leeks, asparagus etc. And as we saw above, FODMAPs can be particularly irritating for those of us experiencing digestive issues such as leaky gut and IBS.
In particular, they can cause rapid and excess fermentation, as well as water retention in the large intestine, leading to gas, bloating and even diarrhea.
Are there any prebiotic-rich foods low in FODMAPs?
Well, the answer is yes, but the list is quite limited.
Consider Eating Smaller Meals And Matching Food Groups Better
When trying to repair your leaky gut, attention to detail matters. Thats why even the more trivial ideas are worth trying out.
So with this idea Im basically suggesting
- Eat 4-5 small meals a day, as opposed to 3 big ones. A day of eating would then look something like: green hulk shake , snack , small lunch , afternoon snack and dinner .
- Combine food groups smartly. This is pretty easy when youre eating a leaky gut diet. i.e. the foods that are hard to combine are pretty much out. But just in case you are eating fruits , make sure they are eaten as much as possible by themselves or at least away from heavy protein meals.
Now with all of that said, it is worth noting that I am not completely sold on eating smaller meals and more often.
Thats because I do like the thinking behind 2-3 meals a day only, since this gives the digestive system plenty of time for breaks.
So like with all ideas on this list, it really comes down to personal experimentation and seeing what works best for your digestive system.
Read Also: What Is The Best Medicine For Ibs
Avoid Excessive Cardio Or Heavy Weight Lifting Leave That For Arny
If youre slogging through 3 or more intense exercise sessions a week like a Arnold Schwarzenegger-Richard Simmons crazed lovechild, you could easily prevent your gut from healing fast or even fully119.
Its kind of counterintuitive, but if youre a bit of a fitness fanatic, then less exercise could actually be better for your health!
Leaky Gut Syndrome Diet Recipes
Leaky gut syndrome recipes focus on how to make some of the fundamentals you?ll need to heal leaky gut. This includes making meat stock, chicken stock, and bone broth. You?ll also want to learn how to make your own home-churned butter and ghee. Fermented vegetables and grain-free bread are also basic staples you?ll need to learn how to prepare.
While the details of all these things are too much to go into here, we?ve included eight links to some recipes to get you started:
You may also be interested in how to ferment vegetables. Next we?ll share some book recommendations to help further guide you.
Don’t Miss: Can Soy Milk Cause Diarrhea