How To Use The Drugs
No medicine is risk free. Ask a pharmacist or your healthcare professional if you are not sure how much medicine to take, how often to take it, or whether an interaction may occur with any other medicine you are taking. Always tell your health care professionals about all the medicines you are taking, including OTC and prescription medicines.
For mild or acute, short-lived diarrhea, most adults may treat themselves with:
- Diet adjustments
However, if your diarrhea is severe, prolonged, or accompanied with blood, high fever, or 10 lb weight loss, you should consult a doctor. Special vigilance is required at the extremes of life.
You should use drugs only as necessary, and stop them when the diarrhea stops. In the case of loperamide, you should take the drug after each loose bowel movement. If your social life or business affairs are hampered by unpredictable diarrhea, loperamide may be taken before an event to prevent embarrassing trips to the toilet. Sedation, severe abdominal cramps, or other unexplained symptoms are indications to stop the drug and seek an explanation from your doctor.
Antidiarrheal drugs should be used cautiously and with a doctors supervision if the diarrhea is severe. Because they delay colon evacuation, opiates may prolong an intestinal infection , and in severe colitis, they may precipitate a paralysis of the colon with dire consequences.Conclusion
Do you suffer from IBS-D? Learn more about IBS-D by visiting out www.AboutIBS.org website
When Should I Call My Doctor
- Blood in your diarrhea or black, tarry stools
- A fever that is high or that lasts more than 24 hours
- Diarrhea lasting longer than 2 days
- Nausea or throwing up that prevents you from drinking liquids to replace lost fluids
- Severe pain in your belly or rear end
- Diarrhea after coming back from a foreign country
Also, call your doctor right away if you have diarrhea and any of these signs of dehydration:
Its Best To Treat It Early
Our survey of sufferers of frequent acute diarrhea in 14 countries around the world, found that 84% of us feel weak and tired when suffering from acute diarrhea.
This is no surprise when you consider the resulting loss of important fluids and salts from our body.21
So why leave it untreated when you can relieve diarrhea along with its uncomfortable symptoms and dehydrating effects?
IMODIUM contains an active ingredient called Loperamide, which works in harmony with your body to help restore the digestive system to its natural pace and rhythm, which in turn works to renew the absorption of fluids in your system.
Also Check: Why Do Statins Cause Diarrhea
How Is Diarrhea Treated
- Use alcohol based sanitizers
- Eat foods that have been cleaned and cooked in a safe way
- Not take any foods or liquids that may have been infected with a bacteria or virus
When you are traveling, make sure anything you eat and drink is safe. This is even more important if you travel to developing countries.
Travel safety tips for water and other liquids include:
- Not drinking tap water or using it to brush your teeth
- Not using ice made from tap water
- Not drinking milk or milk items that have not gone through a process to kill certain bacteria
Travel safety tips for food include:
- Not eating any fresh or raw fruits and vegetables unless you wash and peel them yourself
- Making sure all meat and fish have been cooked to at least medium doneness
- Not eating raw or rare-cooked meat or fish
- Making sure meat and shellfish such as shrimp, crab, and scallops, are hot when served
- Not eating food from street vendors or food trucks
How Is Diarrhea Diagnosed
To see if you have diarrhea, your healthcare provider will give you a physical exam and ask about your past health. You may also have lab tests to check your blood and urine.
Other tests may include:
- Stool studies including culture and other tests. This test checks for any abnormal bacteria in your digestive tract that may cause diarrhea and other problems. To do this, a small stool sample is taken and sent to a lab.
- Sigmoidoscopy. This test lets your healthcare provider check the inside of part of your large intestine. It helps to tell what is causing diarrhea. A short, flexible, lighted tube is put into your intestine through the rectum. This tube blows air into your intestine to make it swell. This makes it easier to see inside. A biopsy can be taken if needed.
- Colonoscopy. This test looks at the full length of your large intestine. It can help check for any abnormal growths, tissue that is red or swollen, sores , or bleeding. A long, flexible, lighted tube is put into your rectum up into the colon. This tube lets your healthcare provider see the lining of your colon and take out a tissue sample to test it. He or she can also treat some problems that may be found.
- Imaging tests. These tests can see if there are any problems with the way your organs are formed .
Don’t Miss: Do Probiotics Help Autoimmune Diseases
A Yogurt For Diarrhea Treatment
Yogurt is known to be an effective treatment for diarrhea. It has the power to kill the intestinal bacteria and provide relief. The anti-inflammatory and anti-pathogen properties of yogurt help in combating bacteria and stimulate better digestion.
Eat one cup of plain, unsweetened yogurt every day after meals. It will help in maintaining a proper balance of bacteria in the intestines.
How many times:
Eat this mixture once a day after meals, before going to bed.
Regular consumption of this mixture not only brings down diarrhea but is also very good for digestion.
How many times:
Eat this mixture once a day.
Eating this mixture regularly helps in promoting the release of gastric juices and thus improves the digestion process. You need to avoid drinking water after eating this mixture for better results.
Ginger tea also shows good results in curing diarrhea. Drinking ginger tea 2-3 times a day is good for patients suffering from diarrhea. Ginger powder can also be used for making tea when the fresh ginger is not available.
Will I Become Reliant On Imodium
In over 40 years of IMODIUM use, theres no evidence at all to suggest that people who use IMODIUM regularly become reliant on it or resistant to its effects over time. In fact, you can use IMODIUM to treat all types of infectious and non-infectious diarrhea, no matter how frequently you get them.
Remember, you should see your doctor if:
- Your symptoms last longer than 48 hours
- You develop a fever over 38°C
- You have blood or mucus in your stools
Don’t Miss: How To Rid Heartburn Fast
Could It Be Temporary
If your poo probs are short-lived, you might be dealing with a temporary issue. This includes food poisoning, stomach viruses, menstruation, or even pregnancy.
In addition to morning sickness, morning diarrhea is common when your eggo is preggo .
Morning diarrhea treatment depends on the cause. Heres the deets.
Can Diarrhoea Be Prevented
Gastroenteritis the most common cause of diarrhoea is highly infectious, and mostly spread by contact with another person who has the illness, or from contaminated food.
These measures can help to stop the spread:
- wash hands frequently using a good handwashing technique
- follow proper food-safety practices
- if a household member has diarrhoea, they should not prepare food for the other members, and everyone should follow regular handwashing and hygiene practices
- someone who has diarrhoea should not visit hospitals, aged care facilities, or swimming pools
- babies can be vaccinated against rotavirus
Also Check: What Foods Are Good For Constipation
Isnt It Better To Let Diarrhea Run Its Course
Many people think diarrhea is a sign that your body is trying to get rid of something, so its better to let it flush any bacteria or toxins out of the body. But diarrhea is not a defence mechanism. Its a symptom of disruption to the finely tuned machine that is our digestive system. Its your immune system that fights infection, so theres no need to leave diarrhea to run its course. In fact, when left to run its course, diarrhea can cause you to lose essential fluids and salts, leaving you feeling weak and depleted. Early treatment limits this loss so you can start to feel better and your system can recover more quickly.
How Can I Best Treat My Diarrhea And Help My Recovery
Heres what to do if you get diarrhea:
- Take IMODIUM straight after your first bout it can relieve diarrhea in just one hour so your body can start to recover sooner
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of fluids and/or taking a rehydration treatment
- Avoid fizzy drinks and rich or spicy foods
- As your appetite increases, eat regular meals of simple baked foods
Read Also: Why Does Fried Food Cause Heartburn
Dietary Recommendations For Diarrhea:
- Drink 8-10 cups of fluid per day, like water, broth, half-strength juice, weak tea, or electrolyte replacement drinks.
- Eat small frequent meals slowly during the day.
- Try sources of soluble fibre to help firm up stool.
- Limit fried or fatty foods since these can worsen diarrhea.
- Some high fibre foods may contribute to diarrhea.
- Foods with lots of sugar may worsen diarrhea, such as regular pop, candy, large quantities of juice, and chocolate milk.
- Some people may become temporarily lactose intolerant when experiencing diarrhea .
- Consult your physician to determine if an anti-diarrheal medication is suitable for you.
Chamomile Tea For Diarrhea Treatment
Although all types of tea are known to have possible effects on the body, chamomile tea is one used mainly to deal with the pains caused by diarrhea. The great thing about this tea is that it soothes the aggravated parts of the digestive system so that diarrhea can be stopped soon.
What You Need:
Brew the chamomile tea with hot water for a few minutes. To improve the chamomile teas taste, add some fresh lemon juice.
Alternatively, if you are not a fan of placing lemon juice on your chamomile tea, you may want to drink lemon water instead. This will also help relieve the pains caused by diarrhea.
You May Like: How To Relieve Constipation While Pregnant
Youve Got The ‘stomach Flu’
The “stomach flu” can seemingly strike out of nowhere. You go to bed fine â and you wake up with watery diarrhea , stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, a headache and a fever.
âFix it:â Unfortunately, there’s no treatment for this bug, notes the Mayo Clinic. And sometimes it’s tough to know what got you sick in the first place, because the symptoms can appear several days after you came in contact with the contaminated food .
You can make yourself more comfortable by avoiding mediations like NSAIDs that can cause stomach upset, avoiding food until your stomach starts to feel better and taking small sips of water to avoid dehydration. And let your doctor know if symptoms don’t subside in a couple days.
Natural Ways To Treat Diarrhea Every Morning
There are several treatment options for recurrent diarrhea in the morning, but of course they depend on the cause.
A holistic nutritionist or naturopath can tell you how your diet and lifestyle are affecting your health through a comprehensive interview and diet diary.
Here are some natural remedies to treat diarrhea when you wake up early in morning:
Also Check: When Constipated Where Does It Hurt
Why It Happens What You Can Do And When It’s Dangerous
Meredith Shur, MD, FACOG, is board-certified in obstetrics and gynecology, as well as a certified medical examiner.
Stomach and digestive issues are common during pregnancy. You may hear plenty about morning sickness and constipation, but less about diarrhea. Although it may not get as much attention, diarrhea is another gastrointestinal issue that many pregnant people can face. However, diarrhea is not usually linked to morning sickness and isn’t typically considered an early sign of pregnancy. In fact, diarrhea can happen in any trimester.
That said, some people consider diarrhea an early sign of pregnancy. It’s true that hormone changes around the time of conception and in the first weeks of pregnancy can cause stomach issues and even lead to diarrhea. However, breast tenderness, fatigue, and nausea are much more common symptoms of early pregnancy.
Additionally, some pregnant people worry that diarrhea may be harmful to the baby or increase the likelihood of miscarriage. However, while the accompanying abdominal cramping may feel similar to the symptoms of impending pregnancy loss, the gastrointestinal tract is an entirely different system than the reproductive organs. It’s unlikely for a typical case of diarrhea to put your baby at risk, as long as proper care is taken to stay hydrated and treat any infection you may have if needed.
Verywell / Jessica Olah
Dehydration Or Electrolyte Imbalance
Electrolytes, such as potassium, phosphate, sodium, magnesium, calcium, and chlorine give off an electric charge. Our body depends on electrolytes to control cell membrane strength and to transport electrical charges that our muscles need in order to contract. Dehydration happens when electrolytes are too low or too high. An imbalance can lead to either constipation or diarrhea.
You May Like: Which Foods To Avoid With Ibs
What Are The Symptoms Of Diarrhea
Each persons symptoms may vary. Symptoms of diarrhea may include:
- Fast heart rate
- Sunken fontanelle on baby’s head
Diarrhea symptoms may look like other health problems. Bloody diarrhea is always a concern. Always see your doctor to be sure. Be sure to tell the doctor about any bleeding, fever, or vomiting.
Key Points About Diarrhea
- Diarrhea is when your stools are loose and watery.
- You may also need to go to the bathroom more often.
- Short-term diarrhea lasts 1 or 2 days.
- Long-term diarrhea lasts several weeks.
- Diarrhea symptoms may include belly cramps and an urgent need to go to the bathroom.
- Loss of fluids is one of the more serious side effects.
- Treatment usually involves replacing lost fluids.
- You may need an infection-fighting medicine if a bacterial infection is the cause.
Also Check: Do You Get Bloated When You Ovulate
What To Avoid With Diarrhea
When diarrhea is most intense, you will likely not want to eat much of anything. At this time, consumption of lots of fluids is best, and you should not force yourself to eat solid foods. As you begin to regain your appetite and feel better, you should stay away from foods that will re-aggravate your diarrhea such as fats and dairy products. Other foods that should be avoided include sugar, caffeine, and alcohol. Sugar promotes inflammation ad discourages healing, and caffeine and alcohol are too stimulating for the digestive tract.
Other effective treatments to strengthen the digestive system include reflexology, acupuncture, and massage therapy. Remember that diarrhea is your bodyâs self-detoxification method. When ill with diarrhea, it is also a great idea to fast on liquid foods until your digestion improves.
Can My Doctor Prescribe Medicine For Ibs
There is no cure for IBS. If you’re having bad symptoms, your doctor may prescribe medicine to help you manage or lessen your symptoms. For example, antispasmodic medicines may be prescribed to reduce cramping if your main symptom is pain. Hyoscyamine and dicyclomine help relax the spasms in the colon. Heating pads and hot baths can also be comforting.
When diarrhea is a problem, medicine such as loperamide may help.
Recommended Reading: Does Diet Coke Make You Bloated
Pumpkin For Diarrhea Treatment
Pumpkin is another wonderful food remedy to treat diarrhea. You can use fresh pumpkin or go for canned pumpkin. Below are the reasons why pumpkin is good to treat diarrhea.
Pumpkin has soluble fiber which absorbs water from the digestive tract. It forms a gel-like substance in the intestines and slows down the process of digestion. This makes harder and lesser stools.
Your blood should contain enough levels of potassium to save you from falling prey to weakness, fatigue, cramps, and even death. Loss of excess potassium from the blood is called Hypokalemia which might happen when you have diarrhea. As pumpkin is a rich source of potassium, having one cup of pumpkin provides about 500 milligrams of potassium to the blood.
Sodium is another compound which helps in maintaining a proper water balance in the body. It is an electrolyte. As diarrhea expels sodium out of your body, this loss can be filled by eating pumpkin broth.
How to use:
Just boil a cup of pumpkin. Mash it to an even consistency. Add some warm water to make it a brothy texture. Add some salt and eat it.
Common Causes Of Diarrhea
First of all, have you ever wondered why you have diarrhea? There are several reasons for this. Some of the reasons are as follows:
- Food Allergy There are times when people eat food products that are not accepted by their bodies. The body tends to release the food products as much as possible, which causes diarrhea.
- Contaminated Water Have you ever been to a new place and you have gotten diarrhea from drinking the water? Sometimes, the water does not need to be contaminated to cause diarrhea. It just has to be foreign and can already make stools a bit lost.
- Intestinal Diseases There are different types of intestinal diseases that people are suffering from right now. One of the most well-known ones is IBS or Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Having an intestinal illness can result in diarrhea quite often.
Recommended Reading: Do Probiotics Cause Yeast Infections