Does Drinking Water Help Diarrhea
Drinking plenty of water is crucial for diarrhea sufferers to avoid dehydration, but it is also important to ensure that you are drinking water that is free of harmful bacteria, viruses, or parasites.; Water intoxication can occur in certain conditions, such as water that has been contaminated.; If you experience diarrhea after drinking a lot of water, consider reducing your water intake.
Coping With Irritable Bowel Syndrome: The Yess And Nos Of Gut Healthy Living
IBS currently affects one in seven Americans;and without a known cause or cure, managing IBS can be very difficult. There is no one size fits all approach to treating symptoms but we believe that with the right information, individuals can manage their IBS and are able to lead a normal life. ;;If you or a loved one is having trouble dealing with symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome, call Premier Medical Group today at 845-471-9410.
What is irritable bowel syndrome?Irritable Bowel Syndrome is not a disease though many presume it is. IBS is a group of symptoms that occur together and affect the large intestine. IBS affects as many as one in five Americans, and women are twice as likely to be affected as men are. The most common symptom is pain or discomfort in your abdomen and a change in bowel habits.
What is causing my irritable bowel syndrome?IBS is not caused by one specific thing. It may be a combination of factors such as lifestyle, stress, or diet. We recommend that you keep a journal and record the foods that you eat and how they make you feel to better determine what is causing your pain.
Treatment options for irritable bowel syndromeThere is no specific treatment for irritable bowel syndrome, but there are things you can do to keep it under control. It often requires changing your lifestyle, which may take some getting used to, but is well worth it in the end.
Disadvantages Of Coconut Water
Though there are some who say coconut water can hydrate the body better than plain water, according to the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, there is no scientific evidence to suggest that is the case. Because of this, one of the biggest disadvantages of coconut water is that it is high in calories compared to plain water. If you rely on it too much, you could easily consume too many calories and cause weight gain.
Another one of the major disadvantages of coconut water is high potassium and other electrolytes. Consuming too many electrolytes can lead to an electrolyte imbalance. When electrolyte imbalances become severe, they are potentially life threatening. Though symptoms vary depending on which electrolyte is too high or too low in the body, all require attention.
You May Like: Allign Probiotic
Taking Precautions When Traveling
The risk of food poisoning is higher when traveling to countries with poor sanitation. As such, people should take the following precautions when traveling to such destinations:
- Eat well-cooked foods, especially meat, seafood, and dairy produce.
- Avoid raw fruits and vegetables unless it is possible to peel the produce.
- Drink only bottled water and other drinks in their original bottles.
- Do not consume tap water or ice, and do not use tap water for brushing teeth. However, boiled tap water is typically safe to drink.
- Check for travel warnings for disease outbreaks in the destination country.
A Prescription For Caution
To avoid antibiotic-associated diarrhea, its best to take antibiotics only when your healthcare provider believes they are absolutely necessary. Antibiotics do not combat viral infections such as the cold and flu; they are effective only against bacterial infections.
Adjusting your diet may help you avoid or ease diarrhea symptoms until you finish your antibiotics regimen. Drink water to stay hydrated and replace any fluids lost to diarrhea. Most important, if your symptoms worsen or dont clear up after you take your medication, talk to your doctor.
Also Check: Can Probiotics Help You Lose Weight
Preventing Dehydration When You Have Diarrhea Or Vomiting
A prolonged bout of diarrhea or vomiting can cause the body to lose more fluid than it can take in. The result is dehydration, which occurs when your body doesnât have the fluid it needs to function properly. Severe dehydration can cause your kidneys to shut down. Dehydration can be particularly dangerous in children and the elderly.
Is There A Color Of Diarrhea That I Should Be Worried About
The color of your poop can vary. Stool color can be influenced by the color of the food you eat. Usually, this isnt something you need to worry about. But if you ever see red in your stool or have a bowel movement that is black, that could be something more serious. Keep a record of any bowel movements that:
- Are black and tarry.
- Have blood or pus in them.
- Are consistently greasy or oily despite non-fatty meals.
- Are very foul-smelling.
You May Like: Can Prenatal Vitamins Cause Diarrhea
Can Diarrhea Be Prevented
There are a few ways you can decrease your chances of having diarrhea, including:
- Avoiding infections with good hygiene habits: Washing your hands with soap and water after using the bathroom, as well as cooking, handling, and eating, is an important way to prevent diarrhea. Washing your hands thoroughly can really help keep you and those around you stay healthy.
- Getting your vaccinations: Rotavirus, one of the causes of diarrhea, can be prevented with the rotavirus vaccine. This is given to infants in several stages during the first year of life.
- Storing food properly: By keeping your food stored at the right temperatures, not eating things that have gone bad, cooking food to the recommended temperature and handling all foods safely, you can prevent diarrhea.
- Watching what you drink when you travel: Travelers diarrhea can happen when you drink water or other drinks that havent been treated correctly. This is most likely to happen in developing countries. To avoid getting diarrhea there are a few tips to follow. Watch what you drink. Dont drink tap water, use ice cubes, brush your teeth with tap water, or consume unpasteurized milk, milk products or unpasteurized juices. You should also be careful when trying local foods from street vendors, eating raw or undercooked meats , as well as raw fruits and vegetables. When in doubt, drink bottled water or something thats been boiled first .
Preventing Dehydration In Children
Children can lose a tremendous amount of fluid in a short time from diarrhea or vomiting. In addition to routine signs of dehydration, parents of sick infants and children should also watch for dry mouth and tongue, no tears when crying, listlessness or crankiness, sunken cheeks or eyes, sunken fontanel , fever, and skin that does not return to normal when pinched and released. Call your doctor if you notice any of these symptoms in your child.
If your sick child shows signs of dehydration, give fluids called oral rehydration solutions. Sports drinks and fruit juices are helpful too, but they donât provide the ideal balance of water, sugar, and salt. Instead, pediatricians recommend oral rehydration solutions such as Ceralyte, Infalyte, or Pedialyte. If your child is not vomiting, these fluids can be used in very generous amounts until your child starts making normal amounts of urine again. If your child is dehydrated and vomiting, call your doctor.
Don’t Miss: Does Banana Cause Bloating And Gas
Probiotics May Relieve Diarrhea
Probiotics are friendly bacteria or yeast that help your digestive system function properly. A growing body of research shows that probiotics may help protect against antibiotic-associated diarrhea. In particular, some people have found that the probioticLactobacillus acidophilus, found in certain brands of yogurt, helps reduce antibiotic-associated diarrhea in adults. Probiotics are also found in miso and other fermented foods.
Probiotics occur naturally in some foods, are added to others, or can be taken as concentrated supplements. There are hundreds of probiotics, Parkman says. Each one is a little different. You may need to experiment to determine which one, if any, works for you.
Probiotics supplements are sold in drugstores, groceries, and health food stores in liquid, powder, and capsule forms. They are sometimes kept in a refrigerated section because they need to be protected from heat. You should talk to your doctor before taking probiotics, to make sure theyre safe to use with your other treatment plans.
Health Benefits Of Coconut Water
Drink a Glass of Coconut Water for 2 Weeks, See What Happens to Your Body
Now that you know all the precautions, dosage and side effects of this tasty drink, lets dive deeper into some of the incredible benefits of coconut water! Here they are below:
Lowers blood pressure
A March 2013 study in the;Journal of Surgical and Clinical Research showed that coconut water decreases blood pressure. This is due to the potassium and sodium content. The study also discovered that this makes it an excellent sports drink for athletes!
;It supports healthy skin
Coconut water contains a small dose of vitamin C . Vitamin C has been shown to support the production of collagen, which can help reduce the appearance of lines and wrinkles
Reduce insulin levels, blood pressure, triglycerides & free radicals
An April 2012 animal study, published in;Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine, showed that coconut water worked wonders for reducing insulin levels, blood pressure, triglycerides, and harmful free radicals. However, since this was an animal study, it cannot be confirmed that this is true for humans.
More research needs to be conducted on this, and scientists are keeping a close eye.
Since coconut water is a natural diuretic, it increases the flow of urine. This helps to prevent urinary tract infections and also cools the body down. The high potassium content of coconut water can help to slow down renal disease.
Don’t Miss: Diarrhea After Eating Lettuce
Baking Soda And Lemon
This remedy is the most effective for a lot of people.
Heres how to do it:
Add 1/4 to 1/3 of a teaspoon of baking soda to a glass.
Squeeze the juice of 2 lemons into the glass.
You can add some raw honey to sweeten it as honey can help to get rid of diarrhea too.
Drink it while its foaming.
Note: You can use less lemon, a half a lemon will also do and if the lemon is too acidic for you dilute this remedy in a half a glass of water. Rinse your mouth out with water afterward to prevent your teeth from becoming eroded.
How Do Doctors Treat Persistent And Chronic Diarrhea
How doctors treat persistent and chronic diarrhea depends on the cause. Doctors may prescribe antibiotics and medicines that target parasites to treat bacterial or parasitic infections. Doctors may also prescribe medicines to treat some of the conditions that cause chronic diarrhea, such as Crohns disease, irritable bowel syndrome, or ulcerative colitis. How doctors treat chronic diarrhea in children also depends on the cause.
Doctors may recommend probiotics. Probiotics are live microorganisms, most often bacteria, that are similar to microorganisms you normally have in your digestive tract. Researchers are still studying the use of probiotics to treat diarrhea.
For safety reasons, talk with your doctor before using probiotics or any other complementary or alternative medicines or practices. If your doctor recommends probiotics, talk with him or her about how much probiotics you should take and for how long.
Don’t Miss: Do Probiotics Make You Lose Weight
How Can I Relieve Discomfort In The Rectal Area Caused By Diarrhea
Diarrhea often means frequent trips to the bathroom. This can cause discomforts like:
- Pain during bowel movements.
If youre experiencing any of these discomforts, there are a few things you can do to help, including:
- Sitting in a few inches of lukewarm water in a bathtub.
- Patting your rectal area dry with a clean soft towel after getting out of the tub or shower. Dont rub the area dry because that will only make the irritation worse.
- Applying petroleum jelly or a hemorrhoid cream to your anus.
What Procedures And Tests Diagnose Diarrhea
In healthy people with diarrhea, and who appear well otherwise, the health-care professional may elect to do no tests at all. Stool cultures are not usually necessary unless there is high fever, blood in the stool, recent travel, or prolonged disease.
- In some cases, the health care professional may send a sample of the stool to the laboratory to evaluate if the cause of diarrhea can be determined . It usually takes approximately one to two days for the results of these tests.
- Blood tests are sometimes necessary for patients with other medical problems or with severe disease.
- A colonoscopy is an endoscope procedure that allows the physician to view the entire colon to evaluate for infections or structural abnormalities that could cause the condition.
- Imaging tests such as X-rays or CT scans are performed to rule out structural abnormalities as the cause of diarrhea, particularly when pain is a prominent symptom.
Read Also: Do Bananas Help With Bloating
Antibiotics And Diarrhea: Understand The Reaction
Any antibiotic can cause you to have diarrhea, whether you take it orally or by injection, but broad-spectrum antibiotics antibiotics that kill a wide range of bacteria are the most likely to affect you. These include Cleocin , certain types of penicillin, and cephalosporins.
Most of the time, diarrhea as an antibiotics side effect is mild and will stop on its own or when you stop taking your medicine. However, antibiotic-associated diarrhea is also seen a lot in patients who are hospitalized or in nursing homes, says Dr. Parkman. And then it can be more serious. In some elderly, ill, and hospitalized patients, antibiotics can result in a Clostridium difficile;;infection, which can produce a toxin that can lead to serious complications such as inflammation in the colon wall , severe dehydration, or toxic megacolon, in which the colon becomes distended and may rupture.
Benefits Of Coconut Water For Diarrhea:
- Coconut water is effective at treating even severe cases of dehydration caused by diarrhea. Its unique chemical composition allows the body to rehydrate, while strengthening the immune system and providing energy.
- Coconut water boosts blood circulation and maintains the proper pH level of bodily fluids. It is also full of electrolytes, which provide essential minerals and energy for the body.; 100 ml of coconut water contains 250mg of potassium and 105mg of sodium.
- The osmolality of tender coconut water is greater than oral rehydration therapy . Coconut water has the presence of other biological constituents that are rich in electrolytes and nutrients like amino acids, vitamin C, magnesium, manganese, enzymes, minerals, and fatty acids.; It is also low in sodium and chloride, but rich in sugars.
- Note: Excessive consumption of coconut water can have the opposite effect and cause diarrhea in some people.
Don’t Miss: Lettuce Upset Stomach
Can I Manage Diarrhea Without Taking Any Medication
When you have an acute case of diarrhea, you can often take care of it without needing any medication. Several things you can do to care for diarrhea include:
- Drinking plenty of water and other electrolyte balanced fluids and caffeine-free sodas). Make sure to hydrate throughout day. Your body loses water each time you have diarrhea. By drinking plenty of extra fluids, you are protecting your body from dehydration.
- Changing your diet. Instead of picking greasy, fatty or fried foods, go for the BRAT diet:
- B: Bananas.
- A: Applesauce.
- T: Toast .
Sometimes, diarrhea can also make you lactose intolerant. This is usually temporary and it means that you need to avoid items with lactose until your diarrhea is gone.
Treatment For Watery Diarrhea
Treatments for watery diarrhea vary widely, though they all have the same starting point: stay hydrated. Depending on the eventual cause of watery diarrhea and how long it lasts, you may end up taking antibiotics or undergoing a colonoscopy to examine your intestines for signs of inflammatory disease.
Don’t Miss: Why Does Lettuce Give Me Diarrhea
Drinking The Rice Water
The effectiveness of drinking rice water depends on the liquid reaching every part of the digestive system, including the entirety of intestine and the stomach. It is therefore essential that the patient drinks large amounts of rice water. Drink as much as you can before you are full, and fill up on the rice water as frequently as possible.
Does Diarrhea Cause Loss Of Electrolytes
Does diarrhea cause loss of electrolytes? CONSEQUENCES OF WATERY DIARRHOEAAll the acute effects of watery diarrhoea result from the loss of water and electrolytes from the body in liquid stool. Additional amounts of water and electrolytes are lost when there is vomiting, and water losses are also increased by fever.
Do you lose electrolytes when you have diarrhea?;When you have diarrhea, you lose water and electrolytes along with stool. You need to drink plenty of fluids to replace whats lost.
What electrolytes are lost in diarrhea?;Complications of diarrhea
Fluid loss with consequent dehydration, electrolyte loss , and even vascular collapse sometimes occur.
What does diarrhea do to your electrolytes?;When you have diarrhea, your body loses fluid and you can become dehydrated. In addition to losing water, your body loses minerals called electrolytes, such as sodium and potassium.
Read Also: Can Align Probiotic Cause Nausea