When Should I Call My Doctor About My Heartburn
Even though heartburn is common, it can sometimes lead to more serious health problems. Severe, chronic heartburn has been linked to inflammation and narrowing of the esophagus, respiratory problems, chronic cough, GERD, and Barretts esophagus, which may lead to esophageal cancer.
You should contact your doctor if:
- Your heartburn wont go away.
- Your heartburn symptoms become more severe or frequent.
- Its hard or hurts to swallow.
- Your heartburn causes you to vomit.
- You have had substantial, unexpected weight loss.
- You take over-the-counter antacids for more than two weeks and you still have heartburn symptoms.
- You have heartburn symptoms even after taking prescription medicines.
- You have serious hoarseness or wheezing.
- Your discomfort interferes with your lifestyle or daily activities.
What Does Heartburn Feel Like
Heartburn typically feels like a burning in the center of your chest, behind your breastbone. When you have heartburn, you may also feel symptoms like:
- A burning feeling in your chest that can last anywhere from a few minutes to a couple of hours.
- Pain in your chest when you bend over or lay down.
- A burning feeling in your throat.
- A hot, sour, acidic or salty taste in the back of your throat.
- Difficulty swallowing.
Causes Of Heartburn While Pregnant
Sadly, it is very common to have this physical sensation while pregnant. And although morning sickness seems to have all the attention, lots of women look at heartburn as to an uncomfortable pregnancy sign.
During early stages of pregnancy, heartburn is the result of progesterone, one of the pregnancy symptoms that women experience at this point, which will relax the muscles of the uterus in order to fit the developing baby. It relaxes the valve between the valve between the gut and esophagus as well.
In the last pregnancy stages, the baby will squash the digestive organs and this may lead to heartburn. However, the great news is that this will not affect the little one.
Read Also: Peanut Butter Cause Heartburn
What Causes Acid Reflux During Pregnancy
Acid reflux occurs when some acid leaks up into the gullet . The lining of the oesophagus can cope with a certain amount of acid. However, if more than the usual amount of acid refluxes, it may cause some inflammation on the lining of the oesophagus, which can cause symptoms.
The sphincter at the bottom of the oesophagus normally prevents acid reflux. It is thought that when you are pregnant:
- The increased level of certain hormones that occurs has a relaxing effect on the sphincter muscle. That is, the tightness of the sphincter is reduced during pregnancy.
- The size of the baby in the tummy causes an increased pressure on the stomach.
One or both of the above increase the chance that acid will reflux into the oesophagus. The dyspepsia usually goes away after the birth of your baby when your hormones change back to their non-pregnant state and the baby is no longer causing increased pressure on your stomach.
You are more likely to develop dyspepsia in pregnancy if you have previously had gastro-oesophageal reflux before you were pregnant.
How Do You Get Rid Of Heartburn When Your Pregnant
Heartburn can be uncomfortable, but heres how to fire back: Watch what you eat. Eat frequent small meals instead of three a day. Sit up straight when you eat. Dont eat within three hours of going to bed. Dont smoke. Elevate your head 6 to 9 inches when you sleep. Wear loose-fitting clothing. Drink after meals, not with them.
Causes Of Indigestion In Pregnancy
Symptoms of indigestion come when the acid in your stomach irritates your stomach lining or your gullet. This causes pain and a burning feeling.
When you’re pregnant, you’re more likely to have indigestion because of:
- hormonal changes
- the growing baby pressing on your stomach
- the muscles between your stomach and gullet relaxing, allowing stomach acid to come back up
You may be more likely to get indigestion in pregnancy if:
- you had indigestion before you were pregnant
- you’ve been pregnant before
- you’re in the later stages of pregnancy
Pregnancy Sign: Sore Breasts
Before you start cursing your bra for suddenly feeling more like a contraption from the hardware store than the lacy lingerie that took a serious chunk out of your paycheque, consider that your newly sore boobs could be a sign that youre pregnant. Breast tenderness is another common early pregnancy sign, according to Nordahl. For many women, what can make this symptom particularly confusing is that breast soreness is also a very common sign of your period. But early on in your pregnancy, your breasts may hurt because theyre expanding in preparation for producing milk.
Also Check: Can Prenatal Vitamins Cause Diarrhea
Will Heartburn Go Away On Its Own
For many people, occasional heartburn is common. By watching what you eat and avoiding certain triggers , you may be able to prevent heartburn or manage it. If you find that you frequently experience heartburn and that it keeps getting worse, it could be a sign of a medical condition like GERD. In these cases, your heartburn will not go away without treatment. Talk to your healthcare provider so that you can develop a treatment plan.
How To Prevent And Manage Heartburn Normally And During Pregnancy
You can easily manage heartburn by making slight changes in your lifestyle and eating habits.
- Wear loose fitting clothes.
- Eat slowly. Always remember to take breaks between your bytes.
- Dont go to bed with full stomach. Eat meals three or four hours prior you go to sleep as it gives enough time to stomach to digest food and reduces chances of heartburn.
During pregnancy you can follow the following points to avoid chances of heartburn:-
- Try to avoid smoking.
- Keep a watch on your weight. Maintain within 25-35 pounds.
- Try to drink water before and after meals. More importantly, avoid drinking in between the meals.
- Try to have your meals three to four hours prior bedtime.
- Sit straight while eating and after three to four hours of your meals. And avoid bending but if you have to than do it with your knees instead of at your waist.
- Try to chew your food as much as you can, if you will do it then most of the work will be completed in the mouth itself and stomach has to do less work which will reduce the chances of heartburn.
Read Also: Midol Bloating
How Soon Can You Get Heartburn When Pregnant
The symptoms of heartburn, acid reflux and indigestion can come on at any time, but they are most common from 27 weeks of pregnancy onwards.
Many report it during the first trimester. This is because the muscles in your esophagus are pushing food into your stomach at a much slower rate than before, and so your stomach takes longer to empty. While this allows the fetus more time to absorb the foods nutrients, it also commonly causes heartburn.
Learn What Causes Heartburn For Youthen Avoid It
Fat, caffeine, chocolate, citruspregnant women with heartburn have been advised to avoid all of the above at one time or another. But what causes reflux in one woman might not be a trigger for another.
Rather than tell his pregnant patients to avoid a specific food, Dr. Richter says he advises them to stay away from foods that specifically aggravate them. Everybody’s different, Dr. Richter says. Some pregnant women can chow down on spicy Mexican food or a plate of spaghetti and meatballs with no ill effects.
Don’t Miss: Do Bananas Make You Gassy
Symptoms Of Heartburn :
There are common and uncommon symptoms of heartburn. First let us talk about the common symptoms of heartburn:-
- Uncomfortable, unease that gets worse after eating, lying down or bending over.
- Acrid taste at the back of your throat.
- A pressure or pain just behind the breastbone. If you are having a crushing chest pain then may be something serious is there which need to be accessed by doctor immediately.
- Burning feeling in your chest that can travel up to neck or throat.
Now let us talk about some of the uncommon symptoms of heartburn:-
- Continuous hiccups.
- Painful swallowing if you feel you have problem in swallowing your food or water then it might be a symptom of heartburn, you should discuss them with your doctor immediately.
- Consistent pain in your neck and shoulder area. If you feel something like this is happening with you then you should immediately discuss all these symptoms with your doctor.
Now comes to pregnant woman there are not many symptoms to discuss but I will tell you some to recognize heartburn:-
- Unease, uncomfortable sensations, a flamethrower near chest or gut.
- Burning sensation from mouth to stomach to bowl.
So far we have discussed its symptoms now let us talk about its causes.
Can Heartburn Be An Early Sign Of Pregnancy
Another early pregnancy symptom of pregnancy may be a change in your digestion, like heartburn. If you start feeling heartburn or a burning sensation in your chest after eating lunch at your favorite deli, it might not be that they changed up their recipe. It could be heartburn that is pregnancy -related.
Also Check: Can Align Probiotic Cause Nausea
How To Treat Heartburn
If you frequently experience signs of heartburn, there are several lifestyle changes you can make to get your life back on track.
Try focussing on the following natural remedies:
Being overweight is one of the leading causes of heartburn. Overweight people are bound to experience heartburn more often since more pressure is put on their abdomen, and so stomach acid is more likely to backflow into the oesophagus. If youre overweight, losing a couple of kilograms will help you reduce the symptoms of heartburn.
2. Good posture
Do not slouch while you eat, as sitting upright will take the pressure off your stomach. Additionally, elevate the head of your bed when you go to sleep to prevent stomach acid from coming up your throat during the night.
3. Choosing healthy foods
Some foods can actually help you alleviate the problems that come with heartburn. Try adding alkaline fruits, such as bananas or melons, as well as green vegetables to your diet. Moreover, eat soothing dairy products like yoghurt and dont forget about whole grains that treat as well as prevent acid reflux.
Why Does It Happen In Pregnancy
Many women who have heartburn during pregnancy have never had problems before. Unfortunately, if you had heartburn before becoming pregnant, youre more likely to have symptoms while you are pregnant. Although the exact reasons arent clear, most experts believe that pregnancy hormones, particularly progesterone, play a role. Hormones cause relaxation of the esophageal sphincter. This is a tight circular band of muscle at the top of the stomach. This allows partially digested food and stomach acids to backflow, or reflux, into the esophagus. In addition, progesterone also slows the digestive process. This keeps food in the stomach longer. The pregnancy itselfthe upward pressure of the growing uterusalso may play a role.
Recommended Reading: Align Prebiotic Probiotic
Is Heartburn A Sign Of Pregnancy
If youve never experienced heartburn before, or are feeling this strange sensation more frequently than usual, you could first try to minimise your intake of acidic, salty and spicy foods. For more ideas on how to deal with this issue, check out the rest of this article.
In case this does not alleviate your problems, its probably time to take a pregnancy test and visit your physician as soon as possible to check what is causing you this discomfort.
Try These Tips For Preventing Heartburn During Pregnancy:
- Eat little and often and avoid big main meals: This gives the acid in your tummy less time to build up because food neutralises stomach acid.
- Try drinking milk or milky drinks as this can help to settle the symptoms.
- Stay upright during and directly after eating: Dont bend over or slump while you eat and try not to lie down for at least an hour after eating
- Choose foods that are easy to digest: Were afraid this means spicy takeaways, super rich meals, chocolate cake and coffee are off the menu.
- If heartburn hits at night, try propping yourself up on several pillows: Gravity should help to keep that acid down.
Don’t Miss: Peanut Butter Indigestion
Be Aware Of Your Triggers
Citrus, fat, chocolate or caffeine these are all things that expecting mothers who experience heartburn have been recommended not to consume them. But leads to acid reflux in a certain woman may not be a triggering cause for another woman.
Rather than tell their patients to avoid a particular type of food, some doctors advise them to stay from some foods which tend to worsen them in particular. We are all different from one another. If some of the pregnant women out there are able to chow down when it comes to spaghetti or Mexican food, other ones cannot.
Why Exactly Does Pregnancy Cause Heartburn
Heartburn during pregnancy will plague most moms-to-be at some point because progesterone, the hormone that relaxes muscles in pregnancy, also relaxes the stomach valve that keeps acid out of the esophagus. In addition, the growing uterus crowds the stomach, forcing acid into the esophagus.
But there are safe, effective ways to stop it. “Pregnant women really don’t need to suffer with heartburn anymore,” says Adrienne Einarson, RN, assistant director of clinical services at Motherisk, a Toronto-based program that investigates the effects of prenatal exposures on maternal and fetal health. Here, experts recommend 12 different ways to soothe heartburn during pregnancy.
Also Check: Can Turmeric Give You Diarrhea
How To Stop Heartburn And Indigestion
Try the following as your first port of call.
- Avoid large meals and eat smaller ones more often about every three hours.
- No midnight feasts. Dont eat late at night or three hours before bedtime.
- Avoid triggers like fatty and spicy foods, chocolate, caffeine and fizzy drinks or fruit juice. Keep a food diary to identify triggers
- Raise the head of your bed by 10 cm to 15 cm, or sleep propped up on lots of pillows.
- Avoid medication that may cause or worsen symptoms, if appropriate. Discuss it with your doctor before stopping any prescribed medications
- Stop smoking.
How Can I Deal With Heartburn During Pregnancy
I’m in my second trimester. No matter what I eat, I get heartburn. Is this normal? If so, what can I do to feel better? Cari
Heartburn, despite its name, has nothing to do with the heart. It’s a burning feeling in the throat and chest when the stomach’s contents move back up into the esophagus .
Heartburn is common during pregnancy. Pregnancy hormones can make the valve at the entrance to the stomach relax so that it doesn’t close as it should. This lets acidic stomach contents move up into the esophagus, a condition known as gastroesophageal reflux , or acid reflux. It can get worse later in pregnancy when the growing uterus presses up on the stomach.
To help ease heartburn pain:
- Skip foods and drinks that can make it worse, such as citrus spicy, fatty foods caffeine and carbonated drinks.
- Eat several small meals throughout the day.
- Take your time when eating.
- Drink liquids between not during meals.
- Avoid eating or drinking for 3 hours before bedtime.
- Resist the urge to lie down after meals.
- Raise your head when you sleep.
- Talk to your doctor about medicines that are safe to take for heartburn during pregnancy.
Recommended Reading: Red Meat And Constipation
Heartburn Is Caused Due To Following Reasons:
1> Eating Habits:
- Eating before going to bed
- Drinking lots of alcohols, citrus juices, caffeinated beverages and carbonated beverages.
- Eating large amount of food at a time.
- Eating onions, chocolates, peppermint, high-fat foods, citrus fruits, garlic, spicy food, tomatoes and tomato based foods.
2> Medical Reasons:
- Hiatal hernia
- Use of certain special medicines like aspirin or some anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Gastro esophageal reflux disease
3> Living Habits:
- Wearing tight clothes and belts.
Symptoms Dwindle In The Second Trimester
Many of the body changes and symptoms of pregnancy you experience in the first trimester will start to fade once you reach the second trimester. Talk with your doctor about any symptoms that interfere with your daily life. Together, you can find relief and comfort for your pregnancy.
To receive week-by-week guidance about early pregnancy symptoms and more, sign up for our Im Expecting newsletter.
You May Like: Can Align Probiotic Cause Nausea
Can A Pregnancy Test Be Positive At 1 Week
You should wait to take a pregnancy test until the week after your missed period for the most accurate result. If you dont want to wait until youve missed your period, you should wait at least one to two weeks after you had sex. If you are pregnant, your body needs time to develop detectable levels of HCG.
How Do I Treat Heartburn During Pregnancy
When youre growing a human being, you dont have time for that yucky acid reflux. But your usual go-to methods for treating it may not be safe for your unborn baby.
Instead, here are some of the safest and best ways to get rid of heartburn when youre pregnant:
Don’t Miss: Does Peanut Butter Cause Heartburn