What To Eat To Reduce Bloating
Changes in your diet may improve period bloating and other period symptoms. Consider eating six small meals rather than three large ones. This could help to reduce bloating and keep your blood sugar levels stable throughout the day. Other diet changes to try include:
- Choose fiber-rich foods like vegetables, fruits, and whole grains to prevent constipation. Avoid fiber supplements as these can lead to more bloating.
- Eat complex carbohydrates to give your body energy and fiber throughout the day. Examples include whole-grain bread and cereal, brown rice, and barley.
- Make sure youre getting enough calcium with foods like yogurt, cheese, and leafy green vegetables.
- Limit your intake of sugar, salt, and fatty foods.
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol before and during your period.
Causes Of Serious Bloating You Need To Know About And What To Do About Them
1. Ovarian cancer isnt the most likely, but it is one of the most lethal. Although ovarian cancer is only the fifth most common cancer in women, it causes more deaths than any other reproductive cancer mostly in women over 50. Risk factors include never having children or having them late in life, obesity, a family history of ovarian cancer, certain genetic abnormalities, and long-term treatment with hormone replacement therapy. Persistent bloating, feeling full faster, and pelvic pain are typical symptoms.
What to do if youre concerned about ovarian cancer:
A thorough pelvic exam or transvaginal ultrasound is the best way to diagnose ovarian cancer. The blood test CA-125 isnt a reliable screening test, but it can be helpful for following the course of treatment after diagnosis.
2. Uterine cancer. In addition to bloating, uterine cancer can cause abnormal vaginal bleeding, a watery or blood-tinged vaginal discharge, pelvic pain, or pain with intercourse or urination. But its important to know that sometimes bloating or a change in bowel habits may be the only initial signs of uterine cancer. Important risk factors include taking tamoxifen taking estrogen supplements that dont also contain progesterone radiation therapy a family history of uterine cancer or a family history of a form of inherited colon cancer called Lynch syndrome.
What to do if youre concerned about uterine cancer:
What to do if youre concerned about colon cancer:
Menstrual Bloating Remedies To Feel Better Fast
When bloating comes on strong and all you want to do is live in yoga pants and stay in bed, there are things you can do.
Here are four natural remedies to help you get back to your life, bloating be gone:
1. Make Some Diet Modifications: The power of nutrition is incredible, and with just a few dietary modifications prior to and during your period, you may be surprised at how much less bloated you feel. Here are some nutrition hacks to beat period bloating.
2. The Power of Plant-Based Healing: We cant downplay just how amazing Traditional Chinese Medicine and potent, healing herbs are for countless ailments and symptoms like period bloating. And Elix can help with your menstrual bloating. Our Cycle Balance formulas not only help balance hormones and help get to the root of all your symptoms, but the herbs in our formulas can help reduce the water retention that often leads to that uncomfortable bloated feelingso you can feel better, faster.
In need of a natural remedy right away? Try using a chasteberry tincture or sipping on some chasteberry tea. Studies have found this berry to be incredibly beneficial for easing PMS symptoms including water retention and even cravings.
Dandelion leaf tea can also be great for period bloating. It acts as a natural diuretic to help reduce some of that uncomfortable fluid retention while also giving the body a little extra potassium boost.
Know When to See a Doctor
Also Check: How To Get Rid Of Watery Diarrhea
Why You Get Period Bloating
As Dr Penelope Law, consultant obstetrician and gynaecologist at HCA UK’s The Portland Hospital, explains: “The uterus contracts daily in a mild, almost imperceptible manner.”
“As you get closer to your period, these oscillating waves – usually from the fundus work their way down to the cervix – with a frequency of about every 40 minutes. During your period these are more intense – they originate from the lining of the uterus, called the endometrium, and are responsible for the pain some women feel,” she explains.
Although menstrual bloating is linked to these ‘contractions’, the expert explained how it’s actually your digestive system, and not your reproductive system, that causes the swelling of your lower abdomen during your monthly bleed.
“During menstruation, the bowel works more slowly because the increased contractions, waves, of the uterus have an impact on how quickly food moves through the digestive system, known as peristalsis,” Dr Penelope said.
“This leads to the familiar swollen feeling many women experience whilst on their periods and can also be linked to why you can feel more constipated during menstruation.”
Reduce Your Salt Intake
Consuming excessively salty foods isnt great for your overall health. However, it can particularly backfire while youre on your period. Thats because salt is rich in sodium that makes the body retain more water. Steering clear of packaged, junk, and salty foods can help you cut down on sodium and keep bloating at bay during that time of the month.
Also Check: Does Ibs Cause Sharp Abdominal Pain
What Is Bloating Like Whats Actually In There
One thing people commonly mix up is the difference between bloating and water retention. They are often used interchangeably, but are in fact two separate things that can both happen in the week before your period. Premenstrual water retention is typically caused by hormone fluctuations, and diet can also play a role. Bloating of the period variety can be caused by hormones, but it presents as a gaseous feeling of increased pressure in the abdomen, even if there isnt actually anything in there.
When Should I Talk To A Doctor About Endo Belly
If you have symptoms of a reproductive health issue, the sooner you make an appointment with one of the pelvic pain experts at Maiden Lane Medical, the better.
Many health conditions can cause symptoms like a swollen abdomen and pelvic pain, and the first step in treatment is diagnosing the underlying condition.
Recommended Reading: Why Do Carbs Give Me Heartburn
You May Like: Are Apricots Good For Constipation
Why Does It Happen
The main reason you can end up with bloating around your period is due to the hormonal chemical changes that come with your menstrual cycle, namely changes in levels of the sex hormones progesterone and estrogen.
As well as causing menstrual bleeding, research suggests that changes in progesterone and estrogen levels cause the body to retain more water and salt. The bodys cells become swollen with water, causing the feeling of bloating.
A 2011 study found that women retained most water and experienced the worst bloating on the first day of their period.
Read Also: What To Eat After Having Diarrhea
Have You Been Experiencing A Bloated Stomach During A Menstrual Cycle If So Try These 5 Foods To Reduce Period Bloating
|Listen to this article|
There are many causes of stomach pain, gas and bloating than the occasional holiday feast. It can happen when youre on your periods, and it is popularly known as period bloating. Period bloating can even lead to distention, or a noticeable enlargement of the abdomen. Bloating and gas, however, typically do not indicate a major medical issue. And since they are related to what and how you eat, just a few little dietary changes can help you manage it.
You May Like: Do Probiotics Make You Nauseous
Don’t Skip Your Workout Routine
I get it: Working out is probably the last thing you feel like doing. But experts say getting your heart rate up is one of the best ways to alleviate PMS symptomsincluding bloat.
Bloating usually starts to kick in about one to two days before the start of a woman’s period.
A 2018 study in the BMC Womens Health journal showed that eight weeks of aerobic exercise helped reduce bloating and other PMS symptoms.
People who live a more sedentary lifestyle tend to have more sluggish digestive systems, says Dr. Ross. Sweating it out can also help keep you stay regular and reduce constipation. Lighter workouts like swimming and yoga are your best bet, though high-intensity exercises may actually promote inflammation and, in turn, add to the bloat.
Say So Long To Stress
Women with higher perceived levels of stress are more likely to have disruptive PMS symptoms, bloating included. Finding ways to relax and unwind can help tame the tension, and as a result, stave off some puffiness.
Start hitting up yoga more often, carve out time for meditation or journaling, schedule a massage, or get in the habit of sniffing some calming essential oils. If it helps you feel more chill, it works.
Also Check: Can Constipation Make You Throw Up
Foods You Dont Tolerate Well
This might seem obvious, but its worth emphasizing: If you have food sensitivities, avoid those foods, especially during your period.
If youre lactose intolerant, you might occasionally treat yourself to a milkshake, regardless. But during your period, its especially important to avoid the foods that can trigger issues in your body.
Eating these foods can cause nausea, constipation, or diarrhea, which will only add to your discomfort when youre having a painful period.
Eating and avoiding certain foods isnt the only action you can take to ease the symptoms of your period. Try these, too:
- Exercise. Some evidence suggests that exercise, such as light cardio and yoga, can reduce menstrual cramps.
- Hot compresses. Hot water bottles or microwaveable hot compresses can soothe pain in your abdomen and back.
- Over-the-counter medication. Ibuprofen and other OTC meds can reduce your cramps.
- Massages. Massaging your stomach or your back can reduce menstrual pain. In a small
Why Do Women Bloat During Periods
The red letter days and few days before that are known to trouble the ladies enough. Bloating, diarrhoea, constipation, abdominal cramps, body aches, mood swings are all a part of this phase that every woman goes through every month. And all this during and a little before your periods is normal. After all, the body is preparing busily for the important task of shedding the lining of the womb! When any of these symptoms turn excessive is when you should reach out to a doctor, otherwise none of those are a cause of worry. Our experts at Apollo Cradle are always there to help you out.
What is Bloating?
General abnormal swelling of the abdomen is called as bloating. One would feel their stomach to be full and tight, this might be accompanied by some stomach growling. Usually, the reasons for this are:
Why does one experience bloating during their periods?
Normal body chemicals prostaglandins, are generated in the lining of the uterus and these hormone like substances help the uterine wall contract and shed the lining during the periods. Bloating, stomach cramps, diarrhoea are all side effects of these prostaglandins.
What can you do?
To avoid bloating in general and more so during periods, follow these tips:
Read Also: Can Tums Give You Diarrhea
Why Do I Fart Before My Period
For some women, the fluctuation of hormones estrogen and progesterone can cause abdominal bloating and gas before and during their periods. Rising levels of estrogen in the days leading up to your period affect estrogen receptors in your stomach and small intestine. These higher estrogen levels can cause: flatulence.
Read Also: Are Probiotics Bad For You
Amp Up Your Magnesium
Magnesium is a powerful electrolyte that helps to regulate the balance of fluids in your system.
Talk with your doc about taking a magnesium pill or make it a point to get more magnesium in your diet before your period and belly bloat strikes. Spinach, black beans, nuts, potatoes, and brown rice are all good sources.
Read Also: Does Ibs Go Into Remission
Cut Back On Caffeine And Alcohol
Pre-menstrually, alcohol can enhance PMS symptoms like breast tenderness, mood swings, and bloating, says Dr. Bitner. And coffee can overstimulate the digestive tract and irritate the bowels, not to mention dehydrate you, which causes you to retain water. Hey, you’ll save some serious $$ by bypassing your morning latte too.
Increase Your Fiber Intake
Its estimated that 95% of Americans dont get enough fiber in their diet, and fiber is one of the most important nutrients you can consume for your health! Fiber helps move food through the digestive system and can reduce bloating. Foods high in fiber include fruits, vegetables, legumes, and whole grains like oats, says Dr. Shah.
Most experts agree that women should be aiming for 20-25g of fiber per day. Here are a few high-fiber foods that can help you reach your daily fiber goal and reduce the occurrence of bloating:
- Raspberries 6.5g
Recommended Reading: Why Do Pickles Give Me Diarrhea
Tips: How To Get Rid Of Period Bloating
As mentioned above, period bloating is different to gas related bloating but, just like gas related bloating, there are some easy natural remedies we can use to get rid of it quickly.
Simply put, we need to solve the water and salt retention issue in the body – if we fix that, then we fix the period bloating! So, here are our top tips on getting rid of period bloating.
Causes Of The Bloat After Your Period
To find out the answer to the question why am I still bloated after my period, ask yourself these questions:
1. Have you eaten something that has made you sick?
2. Have you eaten something that you are sensitive to or allergic to?
3. Do you have constipation?
4. Have you been eating a processed food diet with a lot of sugar, salt and foods known to have pesticides or GMOs in them?
Youre asking the question, is it normal to bloat after period. The feeling of bloatedness is not a normal feeling. It means something is wrong with your digestive system. So the first thing to do is go after the most common causes of bloating, not the least common ones. If youve eaten something to make yourself sick, such as food that was a little too old in the refrigerator, the mold content of the food will cause extreme bloating and nausea. You may even throw up.
Stop the Food Reactions and Stop the Bloating
If certain foods you eat give you symptoms that include bloating, then youll have to search farther to find out which ones they are. Doing this on your own is the most inaccurate way to find out, as the body reacts to all foods you eat for four days.
Running a blood test called the ALCAT test will give you a list of foods your body reacts to. When you rotate or eliminate these foods, all the bloating disappears. This test does not need your doctor to order it for you.
Your First Line of Defense Against Constipation and Bloating
How Diet Influences Bloating After Period
Don’t Miss: How Long Does L Glutamine Take To Heal Leaky Gut
Why Do I Get So Bloated During And After My Period
Bloating during the menstrual cycle of a woman is a rather frequent occurrence, but why does it happen?
Bloating typically happens in the premenstrual, follicular or period stages. Period bloating is also known as fluid retention and provides a sensation of fullness around the waist region. It`s really uncomfortable and annoying sometimes.
It isn`t really the same thing as menstrual cramps and isn`t responsible for other menstrual signs like fatigue, headaches, emotional swings or back pain. Bloating isn`t a very serious medical condition, but it`s somehow irritating that each woman wants to stop experiencing it.
During a woman`s menstrual cycle, there`s a big hormonal fluctuation, particularly progesterone and estrogen, and this leads to a retention of fluids, swelling and bloating. Women in fact gain a few pounds of water now because of the estrogen`s ability to cause fluid retention.
Generally, by the 3rd day of the period, the blood, waste and excessive water are flushed from the body and it can be considered that the woman no longer experiences this condition.
However, for those a couple of days, life can become quite uncomfortable for lots of women who deal with bloating and water retention. Bloating increases when the levels of estrogen and falls when the levels fall.
Since Every Person Is Different Tracking Is Essential To Get The Best Insight Into Your Specific Patterns
When you better understand your individual patterns, you can anticipate when during your cycle you can expect diarrhea or abdominal pain, and take steps to ease your discomfort.
If you continue tracking while adjusting your eating habits or physical activity, youÃ¢ll get immediate feedback as to whether these changes actually improve your period experiences.
You May Like: Can You Get Heartburn From Stress
How To Treat Bloating
In order to treat occasional bloating that appears due to pregnancy or other causes, you can try the following methods:
- eat slowly: as you read above, eating quickly leads to swallowing a lot of air, so try to take your time while you eating to decrease the chances of bloating
- avoid chewing gum: chewing gum simply leads to swallowing too much air, which might make your symptoms even worse
- eat smaller meals: people experiencing bloating are often more sensitive to having food in their stomachs, which is why eating smaller portions can alleviate some problems
- take supplements: taking probiotics or digestive enzyme supplements can help you overcome bloating and reduce the symptoms of gas or other digestive problems
- prevent constipation: constipation can make bloating symptoms even worse, so make sure you drink enough water, stay active and read about other tips that can help you fight against constipation.
- drink mineral water: like Donat Mg! Its health benefits have been scientifically proven, as it draws the water from the intestinal wall, increasing the volume of the intestinal content, putting more pressure on the intestinal wall, and thus helping ease the way to unblocked bowels.
Bloating is an extremely common symptom of various conditions, and you can also feel bloated when pregnant.