Acid Reflux And Medical Intervention
If you have heartburn or acid reflux symptoms on a regular basis, you should seek medical advice. When acid reflux is so regular that it slides into the GERD diagnosis, you are in danger of having some serious complications.
Some complications of GERD can include esophageal cancer, erosion or ulcers in the esophagus, abnormal cell growth , scarring, and tightening of the esophagus.
Its always advisable to speak to a professional before turning to over-the-counter medications or home remedies for the treatment of chronic issues, like repeated heartburn symptoms.
Can Lemon Juice In The Morning Be Bad For You
Some people are worried that consuming too much lemon water can be bad for bones because it is so acidic, but as noted above, lemon alkalizes in the body. Unfortunately, no scientific studies have been done on lemons effects on the bones, though no studies are showing that drinking lemon juice in water is bad for health.
There May Be A Connection Between Citrus Fruits And Migraines
Even though there is no proven link, yet, some studies over the years have discovered a connection between migraines and citrus fruits.
Fruits like lemons are on doctors radars as possible triggers for migraines and headaches, neurologist Rebecca Traub told Health in 2015.
Don’t Miss: Align Prebiotics
What Is The Fastest Way To Get Rid Of Acid Reflux
The fastest way to relieve heartburn is to take medicines and make some diet and lifestyle changes. Here are a few effective methods for controlling the symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease.
- Antacids are considered safe and effective in neutralizing stomach acid. Some most effective antacids are Pepto-Bismol, milk of magnesia, Tums, etc. But, overuse of antacids can cause kidney problems and stomach illness.
- H2 receptor blockers are another treatment method for acid reflux. Even though it is not as effective as antacids, it provides long-lasting relief. The most effective H2 blockers are Pepcid AC, Zantac, Tagamet HB, and Axid AR. But, long-term use can lead to vitamin deficiency and bone weakness.
- Moreover, proton pump inhibitors prevent acid production and heal the esophagus and gut. The most widely used PPIs are Prevacid, Aciphex, Losec, Zegerid, and Protonix. A few side effects include nausea, constipation, flatulence, abdominal pain, and malnutrition.
- Losing weight cures acid reflux since obesity is the leading cause of a defected LES.
- Heartburn symptoms are aggravated by nicotine, caffeine, and other drugs. By quitting smoking and drinking, you can reduce gastroesophageal reflux disease.
- Dont drink carbonated or sugary drinks as they may cause burping. Instead, you should drink water.
- You should eat your last meal three hours before bed.
Possible Side Effects From Using Baking Soda For Heartburn
- Gas belching and farting if you dont burp enough of the gas off.2
- Increased thirst due to the salt intake.
- Frequent urination
- Raised blood pressure due to the sodium content.
- Abdominal distention and cramps as the gas you dont burp off tries to find a way out.
- Diarrhea can occur if you take baking soda in large quantity.
- The lower stomach acids prevent the absorption of certain minerals in the body.
- Loss of appetite and/or unexplained weight loss
- Breathing difficulties
- Swelling in limbs and feet due to excess salt
- Bloody stools
- Urine with blood
- Impaired digestion. Acid is needed to help break down foods and kill certain bacteria and yeast. The decreased stomach acid can also lead to allergies and inflammation because microbes that are normally killed off enter into the bloodstream.
- Over correction of the acid level in the body leading to alkalosis.
- Rupture of the stomach or digestive tract could occur in rare cases if there are other digestive tract issues and is one of the many reasons to consult a doctor first.
You May Like: Peanut Butter For Acid Reflux
The Difference Water Makes
While lemon and citrus alone is bad for acid reflux, and can even prompt an episode or make one worse, it can make your reflux problems better when that lemon juice is mixed with water.
Lemon mixed with water is thought to be alkaline by many people, which actually isnt true, but the effect of lemon water on your kidneys is that of alkaline. This gets a little confusing, but the vitamin C in lemon water is what causes acidity, when consumed the vitamin C is used, leaving the rest of it as an alkaline.
It is important to remember, though, that just because lemon water may increase the alkalinity of urine, it is not having the same effect on the bloodstream. It does not alkalize your body. In terms of acid reflux, lemon water is acidic upon entering the stomach. Thus, for the purposes of acid reflux and indigestion, it is acidic.
Salt Water For Diarrhea:
Diarrhea often leads to dehydration if it is not properly treated. In order to rehydrate yourself and cure diarrhea, try the following salt water methods.
Method 1: Salt and Sugar Solution
- Combine a tablespoon each of sugar and salt.
- Add sugar and salt mixture to a quart of water and stir well.
- Drink the solution to rehydrate yourself and prevent diarrhea.
- Consuming this mixture 2-3 times per day will provide your body with the necessary glucose and electrolytes necessary to rehydrate.
- Note: Frequently drinking broth with salt will yield the same results.
Method 2: Salt with Orange Juice
- Take 2-3 fresh oranges, remove the skin, and put through a juicer or in a blender.
- Blend 2-3 fresh oranges
- Add ¼ teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of sugar, and 1 and 1/3 cup of water.
- Mix ingredients well and drink throughout the day to treat diarrhea and rehydrate.
Method 3: Salt Water Solution
- Dissolve one teaspoon of salt into a glass of water.
- Drink to prevent and treat diarrhea and dehydration.
- Note: Lemon juice or sugar may be added for flavor.
Method 4: Salt with Baking Powder and Lemon Juice
- Combine 1/3 cup lemon juice with 1/3 cup water, ½ teaspoon of salt, and ½ teaspoon of baking powder.
- Drink at room temperature or freeze into a Popsicle.
Method 5: Salt with Sugar Solution for Infants
Dont Miss: Soy Milk Prostate Enlargement
Also Check: Abdomen Infection Treatment
Lemons For Acid Reflux
Small amounts of lemon juice can have an alkalizing effect on the digestive tract. This is helpful because it can help to counteract the acidity that is produced by GERD and acid reflux. To get the most out of lemon water for acid reflux, mix a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice with eight ounces of water. If you choose to consume lemon water for acid reflux, aim to drink it approximately 20 minutes prior to eating. When possible, consume lemon juice through a straw to prevent enamel-damaging acid from touching your teeth. Always consult your healthcare professional about introducing new foods into your diet.
Can Worsen Heartburn Gerd And Ulcers
Overdoing your lemon juice intake even if you are just having it regularly in your food and not in medical doses can have side effects. The acidic juice can irritate the lining of your stomach and your esophagus, bringing on a bout of heartburn or acid reflux.
Lemon juice can make your stomach acids move back up into the esophagus, causing heartburn.
This is because it activates the stomach enzyme pepsin, responsible for breaking down protein. When your digestive juices move backward, up to the throat and esophagus, you experience the burning sensation associated with acid reflux.
Studies have not, however, been able to definitively prove that the acidity in the lemon is the root problem. Still, for those with gastroesophageal reflux disease or heartburn, avoiding too much lemon juice is one of the many essential dietary changes.9
Those with stomach ulcers may find that having too much lemon interferes with the healing process.
Also Check: Peanut Butter And Gerd
Acid Intolerance: When Youve Been Refluxing Too Long
If you have been suffering from acid reflux for long, chances are, you have been having antacids for a while too. Antacids work by suppressing whatever little acid your stomach produces, so even if the stomach lid is loose, theres nothing left to slosh up your throat. Obviously this can provide temporary relief, but cannot be a long term solution.
In fact, antacids reduce the ability of the stomach to tolerate its own acid, since the stomach is getting used to less and less acid production. This leaves the inner wall of the stomach tender. Whats more, with lesser acid, comes bacterial infections, like H Pylori, which cause ulcers. These leave the ulcerous parts of the stomach exposed and very sensitive to acid. As a result, many long-term acid reflux sufferers suffer from Acid Intolerance. To restore them back to their natural balance where their stomach can tolerate good quality acid and make its own a gradual process of recovery needs to be adopted.
Spend Some Time In The Sun
Surprised? Spending time outdoors can actually boost your digestive process. Sun rays help the body produce vitamin D which further balances the production of over200 antimicrobial body chemicals that fight stomach irregularities and helps treat acid reflux. So, make sure to get your dose of sunlight and vitamin D.
Also Check: Are Bananas Gassy
Baking Soda For Heartburn Recipe:
According to the Mayo Clinic, half a teaspoon in a glass of water every two hours is appropriate for an adult. Do not treat a child with sodium bicarbonate without a doctor determining the proper dosage for that child.1
Arm & Hammer instructions and warnings for using baking soda as a heartburn remedy:
Add ½ teaspoon to ½ glass of water every 2 hours, or as directed by a physician. Dissolve completely in water. Accurately measure ½ teaspoon.
- Ask a doctor before use if you have a sodium-restricted diet.
- Ask a doctor or pharmacist before use if you are taking a prescription drug. Antacids may interact with certain prescription drugs.
- Do not administer to children under age 5.
- STOMACH WARNING: TO AVOID SERIOUS INJURY, DO NOT TAKE UNTIL POWDER IS COMPLETELY DISSOLVED. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT NOT TO TAKE THIS PRODUCT WHEN OVERLY FULL OF FOOD OR DRINK. Consult a doctor if severe stomach pain occurs after taking this product.
- Stop use and ask a doctor if symptoms last more than 2 weeks.
- *Do not take more than the following amounts in 24 hours:
- Seven ½ teaspoons
- Three ½ teaspoons if you are over 60 years of age.
- Do not use the maximum dosage for more than 2 weeks.
- Each ½ teaspoon contains 616mg sodium.
Baking Soda for Heartburn Recipe Variation #1:
Add a few drops of lemon juice to the preparation instructions above. The lemon will not only help the flavor but will help prevent acid production in the stomach.
Baking Soda for Heartburn Recipe Variation #2:
How To Cure Acid Reflux Quickly With Honey
When the lower esophageal sphincter does not contract properly, it allows gastric acids to flow backward, from the stomach into the esophagus, causing burning sensations in the chest and throat. This is whats known as acid reflux, or heartburn. Other symptoms include, bloating, burping, gas, and unpleasant taste in the mouth. Acid reflux is caused by poor diet, stress, smoking, over-eating, and lack of sleep, among other factors.
Plenty of antacids are available over the counter, but their effects are short-lived and they come with unwanted side effects. Honey, on the other hand, is a natural, affordable, effective way to get rid of heartburn for good.
Don’t Miss: Cream Of Wheat Constipation
Why Does Lemon Cause Heartburn
Lemon juice contains lots of acidic compounds and vitamins like vitamin C, so its an acidic drink. But luckily, most people dont consume plain lemon juice and mix it with water instead.
When you do that, you create a very healthy and alkaline-forming drink that can be helpful in soothing acid reflux symptoms, including heartburn.
So, if you drink it in moderation and as part of a healthy diet, lemon-infused water can help you ease your heartburn.
Licorice May Combat Reflux But With Dangerous Effects
Tue., Sept. 27, 2016
Q. My naturopath prescribed licorice to ease nausea and acid reflux. A month later, I was in the emergency department with high blood pressure, irregular heartbeat, chest pain and lightheadedness.
My potassium was too low, whereas a month earlier it was within normal limits. I searched licorice and potassium and found a link. I have thrown away the licorice pills, and after a few days of potassium pills prescribed by the ER doctor, I am starting to feel normal.
A. Your naturopathic doctor was irresponsible to prescribe licorice without careful monitoring. Although natural licorice might help with stomach upset, its active ingredient, glycyrrhizin, can cause fluid retention, hypertension and low potassium. This could lead to irregular heart rhythms that could be life-threatening.
A safer alternative might be deglycyrrhizinated licorice . With the glycyrrhizin mostly removed, it is less likely to cause dangerous side effects. Dont take potassium pills indefinitely, since too much can be as dangerous as too little. A blood test will tell your doctor when your potassium is back to normal.
Q. As a pharmacist, I see the impact of high drug prices every day. People on Medicare Part D are reaching the doughnut hole earlier every year due to the high cost of their meds.
Many times people go without their meds because they cant afford them. Switching to vials and syringes might save some, but it is the cost of the insulin that is so high.
Don’t Miss: Benzodiazepines For Ibs
It Helps With Weight Loss
Lemons are high in pectin fiber, which could help fight hunger cravings if youre eating a whole lemon. And some people lose weight more quickly just by upping their water intake. But many people also find that juicing them into warm water for their morning cup helps them lose weight faster.
One research study found that polyphenols in lemon juice have the power to suppress body fat accumulation. The same research showed that the same compounds in lemons significantly reduced weight gain even for those who were overeating.
Is Lemon Juice Effective In Treating Acid Reflux
- Though lemon juice contains citric acid, when it is mixed with water, it becomes alkaline which helps in neutralizing the stomach acids. Apart from that, it contains potassium and generates calcium carbonate which helps in the same.
- It contains vitamin C and A, pectin and fiber that body needs to function properly and provides relief from pain and inflammation in the chest and esophagus.
- It balances the pH levels so the digestive system can function properly.
- It is naturally antibacterial, so it kills the germs that cause digestive problems.
- It cleanses toxins and impurities from the gastrointestinal tract.
- It regularizes the production of hydrochloric acid in the stomach and bile production in the liver, both of which are essential to the proper assimilation of nutrients from food.
Read Also: Can Salad Cause Diarrhea
Too Much Lemon Water Can Upset Your Stomach
Although lemon waters wide range of benefits often centers on gut health, according to Medical News Today, squeezing too much in your water can worsen common maladies like gastroesophageal reflux disease and acid reflux.
GERD and acid reflux are triggered by acidic foods, including lemons. Symptoms include heartburn, nausea, and vomiting.
May Decay Tooth Enamel
A study discusses a female patient who experienced erosion of the enamel and dentinal hypersensitivity following the frequent consumption of lemon juice . Excess intake of lemon water may lead to acidic demineralization of the tooth enamel .
Another Brazilian study proved the same. Lemon juice displayed corrosive effects on the teeth similar to that of soft drinks. All of them are equally acidic .
Brushing your teeth immediately after consuming lemon water may help prevent the erosion. You may also start brushing and flossing twice a day for better results .
You may also drink lemon water using a straw to prevent tooth decay.
Read Also: Diet Pills While Pregnant
Best Foods For Acid Reflux
A diet balanced with vegetables, protein and fruits is best, Dr. Khaitan says. Examples of the best foods for acid reflux include:
- Chicken breast Be sure to remove the fatty skin. Skip fried and instead choose baked, broiled or grilled.
- Lettuce, celery and sweet peppers These mild green veggies are easy on the stomach and wont cause painful gas.
- Brown rice This complex carbohydrate is mild and filling just dont serve it fried.
- Melons Watermelon, cantaloupe and honeydew are all low-acid fruits that are among the best foods for acid reflux.
- Oatmeal Filling, hearty and healthy, this comforting breakfast standard also works for lunch.
- Fennel This low-acid crunchy vegetable has a mild licorice flavor and a natural soothing effect.
- Ginger Steep caffeine-free ginger tea or chew on low-sugar dried ginger for a natural tummy tamer.
Drink Lemon Water Every Day And You May Experience Migraines
If youve ever experienced a migraine, you know how miserable they are. Though there are countless remedies out there that claim to help ease the pain, lemon water isnt one of them. At least, not for everyone. In fact, if you consume lemon water on a regular basis, you may find it actually triggers migraines.
Its commonly thought that tyramine is a migraine trigger and, according to WebMD, citrus fruits like grapefruit, limes, and lemons all contain higher amounts of the substance than that of other fruits and experts are beginning to agree. According to Health,citrus fruits might trigger migraines in some sufferers, and theyre certainly on experts radars as being a possible though much rarer culprit. Although more research is needed to determine a definitive link between lemons and migraines, youll likely want to steer clear of lemon water if you find its giving you headaches.
Don’t Miss: Colostrum Healed My Leaky Gut