How Much Fiber Should You Get Per Day
Most Americans only get around 15 g of fiber per day which is not enough. The daily recommended amount ranges from 25 to 30 g per day.
The reason for this mostly comes from Americans eating too much processed foods as well as just not knowing what they should be eating. For example, the trendy gluten-free diet will likely result in very low fiber intake, but most people on this diet don’t know and/or care.
Not only is getting the recommended amount of daily fiber good for regular bowel movements, but it is also good for gut bacteria, which can impact your overall health.
Side Effects Of Too Much Vitamin D
We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Heres our process.
Vitamin D is extremely important for good health.
It plays several roles in keeping your bodys cells healthy and functioning the way they should.
Most people dont get enough vitamin D, so supplements are common.
However, its also possible although rare for this vitamin to build up and reach toxic levels in your body.
This article discusses 6 potential side effects of getting excessive amounts of this important vitamin.
Causes Of Heat Reactions
- All 3 reactions are caused by exposure to high temperatures often with high humidity.
- Exertion. During hot weather, hard work or sports can cause heat production to exceed heat loss.
- Dehydration. Sweating during hot weather can cause sweat loss to exceed fluid intake. Poor hydration then interferes with sweating and increases the risk of heat reactions.
- Heat waves. The first heat wave of the summer can cause heat problems. It takes 8 to 10 days for you to become used to high summer temperatures. This sudden change in temperature can also happen on vacations.
- Exposure to a very high temperature. Examples are being inside a hot car or in a steam tent. Being indoors without air-conditioning during heat waves is the main cause of heat stroke in the elderly.
- Health and risk factors. Babies are less able to sweat when hot. Obese children also have a decreased ability to give off heat.
Don’t Miss: Stomach Cramps And Diarrhea After Eating Salad
How Blood In Stool Is Diagnosed
Usually, a visual inspection is all that is required to confirm the presence of blood in the stool. However, sometimes the amount is too small to be seen with the naked eye and an occult blood test is performed to confirm its presence. Once blood is confirmed, the next step is to find the source of the bleed. There are numerous tests that can be employed to investigate your GI tract but the more common ones are endoscopy, colonoscopy, barium X-ray, or angiography:
- Esophagogastroduodenoscopy: Conveniently shortened to EGD, this is a procedure where an endoscope is inserted into the mouth, down the esophagus, and through to the stomach and a bit of the small intestine. The endoscope has a camera that lets the doctor check for any sources of bleeding and, if necessary, take a biopsy sample.
- Colonoscopy: Like an EGD except it goes up the other end and is used to view the colon and bowel.
- Barium X-ray: Barium is a contrast material that is either swallowed or delivered via enema. The barium makes the digestive track light up on an X-ray so doctors can give it an assessment.
- Angiography: A dye is injected into the veins that makes blood vessels appear on X-ray or CT scan. Its used to check the blood vessels for any weaknesses or leaks that could be responsible for blood in the stool.
It Sensitizes Your Teeth
The pH of pineapple ranges from 3.3 to 5.2, which means that it is acidic in nature.6 If you consume the fruit over an extended period of time on a regular basis, your enamel gets eroded, resulting in sensitive teeth.7 You should avoid consuming undiluted pineapple juice or biting into the fruit if your teeth are already sensitive. Precaution will prevent the condition of your teeth from becoming worse.
Recommended Reading: Prenatal Vitamins Causing Stomach Cramps
It Increases Blood Sugar Levels
If you are diabetic, it is crucial that you consult your doctor before eating pineapple. Just like any other sweet fruit, it contains fructose, a sugar that raises your blood glucose levels, and causes problems.8 Your doctor will know the condition of your health well and will be able to advise you on whether or not you can eat the fruit or how much you can eat. Always stick to the recommended intake to avoid complications.
Children And Heat Emergencies
Children are especially vulnerable to heat emergencies. If theyre playing in hot weather, they might be having so much fun, they dont recognize the warning signs. Check on children frequently and make sure they have plenty of water.
Children can also die from heat-related illnesses when theyre left in cars or other vehicles, such as school buses. Never leave a child alone in a car even if you think its not hot enough for them to be harmed. Always check a bus or carpool to make sure no one is left behind.
Recommended Reading: Does Diarrhea Mean Your Pregnant
You Asked: Can The Sun Make You Feel Sick
Summer is preparing to make its debut in a few weeks, and along with it, most of us will flock to the outdoors to soak up sunshine and Vitamin D. However, even if were using sunscreen and staying hydrated, our fun in the sun can sometimes come at a price leaving us sapped of all energy the next dayalmost like a sun hangover. A Texas A& M Health Science Center family nurse practitioner explains why this may happen and how to prevent it.
The skin is the bodys largest organ a fact we are often unaware of or ignore. Prolonged sun exposure can easily irritate our sensitive skin which creates an inflammatory response that resonates throughout the whole body.
If youre sunburned and have inflammation, this happens as a result of your body trying to heal and repair, said Cindy Weston, DNP, RN, FNP-BC, assistant professor at the Texas A& M College of Nursing. Your skin is an organ, and when its damaged this activates the entire immune system to mobilize and repair it.
The immune system may respond even if youre scrupulous about sunscreen use and staying hydrated during outdoor outings. If youve ever felt lethargic, achy, or experienced general under-the-weather type feelings after sun exposure, this immune response may be the culprit. We encounter these symptoms because the body is, in a sense, battling an acute infection, Weston said. This immune response may present after spending extended time in the sun or when youre sunburned.
Artificial Sweeteners Sugar Alcohols
Sorbitol is a form of sweetener known as sugar alcohols. Sorbitol and other sugar alcohols are commonly found in foods labelled as diabetic foods as well as other sugar free products such as sugar free gum.
Sugar alcohols have a lower sugar content and affect blood glucose levels less than table sugar but they can have a laxative effect and thus may cause stomach cramps and diarrhoea.
If you experience these symptoms after having food with sugar alcohols, it is best to avoid these foods or only consume small amounts. Some people will be more sensitive than others to the effects of sorbitol and other sugar alcohols
You May Like: Does Tramadol Cause Diarrhea
Overloading Smoothies With Fruit
Fruit smoothies are delicious, but if youâre drinking a smoothie thatâs practically 100 percent fruit based, youâre bound to be taking in way too much sugar. While natural, fruit is still high in sugar and should be paired with protein, fats, and veggies in smoothies for a better mix. âA small smoothie made with 8 oz. low fat milk or 6 oz. low fat plain yogurt, handful of blueberries and a handful of spinach,â recommends Williams, is a nice combination.
Also Check: What The Best Sugar Replacement
How To Stay Cool With Ibs And Reduce Flare Ups
Helpful ways to keep yourself cool include:
- Maintaining your liquid intake aiming for two litres of water a day.
- Putting a cool flannel on your head or face,
- sitting in the shade using fan, or air conditioning, if thats available to you.
Eat well for the hot weather
- Stick with foods you know dont aggravate your symptoms, even that beer, ice lolly or salad looks tempting
- Some foods are linked to keeping the body cool and hydrating and these include refreshing foods high in water content such as watermelon, cucumber, salads and fruit.
Hi I’m Anna Mapson, registered Nutritionist . I help people with IBS, SIBO, reflux and other gut health issues.
I can help you to:
- understand your digestion better, so you recognise your triggers
- eat a well balanced diet, with tasty meals that are simple to prepare
- develop healthy, sustainable habits for life
Anna is amazing! I feel totally transformed”
Recommended Reading: Why Does Lettuce Give Me Diarrhea
The Signs And Symptoms Of Heat Exhaustion
The warning signs include:
- excessive sweating and pale, clammy skin
- cramps in the arms, legs and stomach
- fast breathing or pulse
- temperature of 38C or above
- being very thirsty
The symptoms are often the same in adults and children, although children may become floppy and sleepy.
If someone is showing signs of heat exhaustion they need to be cooled down.
There are four steps you can take:
Stay with them until they are better.
They should start to cool down and feel better within 30 minutes.
They added that bacteria requires time to grow, so they dont usually cause symptoms right away, which could explain the lag between heatwaves and hospital admissions.
Another reason someone might suffer diarrhoea during the hot weather could be as a result of heat exhaustion.
It usually happens if you’ve been exposed to high temperatures and is usually accompanied by dehydration.
You might also feel confused, dizzy, nauseous and have a headache, as well as an increased heart rate and profusely sweating.
If you, or anyone else, has symptoms of heat exhaustion, it’s important to get out of the heat immediately and rest in a cool room.
Stress Or Emotional Upset
Dogs that are experiencing emotional distress can become afflicted with diarrhea. According to Purina, stressful events such as adoption, relocation, boarding, or being left at home alone all day can result in runny poop.
Interestingly, stress triggers an imbalance between good and bad bacteria in the GI tract. As the bad bacteria overwhelm the good ones in periods of stress, stomach upsets occur as a result with diarrhea being a common symptom.
Thankfully, diarrhea stemming from stress is usually temporary and will resolve as the catalyst is removed. There wont be any need for any specialist treatment other than simply make sure your dog feels safe and comfortable!
Recommended Reading: Does Pickle Juice Help Heartburn
How To Stop & Avoid Diarrhea On Keto
A keto diet is an incredible choice for weight loss, more energy, and creating a healthier, happier life.
However, its hard to live that new life stuck inside the bathroom.
Unfortunately, one unpleasant issue that can pop up alongside your new low-carb, high-fat lifestyle is diarrhea.
While this poop problem can be highly unpleasant, it doesnt have to happen to you. Even if it does, you can take steps to stop the flow and start enjoying your ketogenic diet again!
Read on as we talk through how to avoid and stop keto diarrhea, as well as some causes you may not expect.
Types Of Heat Reactions
- There are 3 main reactions to hot temperatures and heat waves.
- Heatstroke or Sunstroke . Symptoms include hot, flushed skin with high fever over 105° F . More than 50% of children with heatstroke do not sweat. Heatstroke can cause confusion, coma or shock. Heatstroke is a life-threatening emergency. It has a high death rate if not treated promptly.
- Heat Exhaustion. Symptoms include pale skin, profuse sweating and nausea. Dizziness, fainting, or weakness can also be signs. Can have a mild fever 100 – 102° F for a short time. Most of the time, there is no fever. Most of these symptoms are caused by dehydration from sweating. A person can progress from heat exhaustion to heatstroke. So, all patients with severe symptoms need to be seen now. Mild symptoms can be treated at home with fluids and rest. But, if these don’t resolve with treatment, these children also need to be seen.
- Heat Cramps. Severe muscle cramps in the legs and stomach are present. No fever. Tightness or spasms of the hands may occur. After your child drinks fluids and cools down, he or she will feel better. All symptoms should go away in a few hours.
Don’t Miss: Side Effects Of Gas Relief Pills
Extreme Heat May Aggravate Gastrointestinal Problems
ByCari Nierenberg13 August 2013
Extremely hot weather makes us sweat and frizzes some people’s hair, but a new study reports for the first time that it can also worsen some gastrointestinal problems.
During a heat wave, there’s an increased risk for inflammatory bowel disease flare-ups, and a greater risk of infectious gastroenteritis , Swiss researchers found.
“This is something very new,” said study researcher Dr. Christine Manser, a gastroenterologist at University Hospital in Zurich, Switzerland.
“There has never before been a study investigating the impact of climate change represented by an increase in heat waves on IBD and IG flares,” Manser said.
The researchers defined a heat wave as any period of six or more days with high temperatures rising above the average daily high by more than 9 degrees Fahrenheit .
The study showed that prolonged periods of hot weather led to a 4.6 percent increase in risk of people needing to be hospitalized with a relapse of inflammatory bowel disease for every additional day that a heat wave lasted.
Manser explained that if extreme heat began on a Monday, and continued all week, by Saturday it would be classified as a heat wave, and by Sunday the risk for IBD flares would increase by 4.6 percent a day.
Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis are two types of inflammatory bowel disease, and have symptoms including stomach pain, diarrhea, and bleeding.
The study is published online today in the American Journal of Gastroenterology.
How To Prevent Sun Poisoning
To prevent sun poisoning, you want to take the same precautions that help you avoid sunburn.
Do the following:
- Use sunscreen. Use broad spectrum sunscreens with a sun protection factor of at least 30 apply 15 to 30 mins before sun exposure and reapply at least every 2 hours.
- Avoid peak hours in the summer months. This means stay out of the sun between 10 a.m. 4 p.m.
- Avoid tanning beds.
- Be aware of medication side effects.
- Wear protective clothing, such as long sleeves, sunglasses, gloves and broad-brim hats. Tightly woven fabrics, thick and/or dark-colored clothing are also useful for protection.
- Keep infants younger than 6 months out of direct sunlight.
Don’t Miss: Are Probiotics Good For Colitis
What Is The Most Common Cause Of Diarrhea In Dogs
There are so many possible causes of diarrhea in dogs that it can be hard to say which is the most common!
While doggy diarrhea is challenging to prevent and a horror to deal with , uncovering the specific cause will help to limit the frequency and duration of each unfortunate episode.
Here are some of the most common causes of diarrhea in dogs:
Side Effects Of Drinking Too Much Chamomile Tea
- Can cause internal bleeding: Chamomile tea can interact with drugs like warfarin, heparin, and ticlopidine. If you are taking warfarin medicine, drinking chamomile can cause internal bleeding.
- Develop allergy symptoms: Some individuals who are allergic to pollens should avoid chamomile tea. It can cause skin rashes and throat swelling.
Read Also: Gastritis Or Ibs
What Causes Blood In The Stool
Blood in stool can result from a number of health conditions or even a reaction to food or medication. Occasional constipation is one of the most common reasons for blood in stool. Constipation means straining, and that strain can create hemorrhoids and anal fissures.
Hemorrhoids and anal fissures are two of the most common, but also least serious causes of GI bleeding. Hemorrhoids are swollen, irritated blood vessels that are prone to rupture. Many people do not realize that hemorrhoids can occur internally, and you may not have any symptoms until you see blood in your stool. An anal fissure, which is a cut or tear on the anus, is often caused by compacted stools or trauma and may bleed, producing bright red blood on your toilet tissue.
Other health issues that can cause blood in your stool include:
- Anal fissures
- Colorectal cancer
Who Is At Risk Of Heat Exhaustion And Heatstroke
Anyone can experience the physical effects of excess heat, but people at highest risk include:
- Babies and toddlers.
- People who are physically active.
- People with chronic health conditions like diabetes or heart, lung or kidney disease.
- People taking ‘water tablets’ , antipsychotic medication or recreational drugs like ecstasy
- People with tummy troubles like gastroenteritis or inflammatory bowel conditions like Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis that can cause diarrhoea.
Also Check: Birth Control And Heartburn