Does Ovulation Cause Bloating
The term bloating refers to feeling increased abdominal pressure without an accompanying increase in abdominal size. Swelling, on the other hand, is when your bodys tissues retain fluid. Both conditions can make you feel puffy.
Just before the onset of ovulation, your estrogen and luteinizing hormone levels surge. These hormonal shifts may trigger water retention and swelling, not to mention complications in the gastrointestinal tract, resulting in bloating during ovulation.
For most, ovulation bloating tends to resolve on its own a few hours to a few days later. But if bloating during ovulation persists or stems from another medical issue , make sure to consult a health care provider.
Symptoms Of Ovulation Pain
The symptoms of ovulation pain can include:
- pain in the lower abdomen, just inside the hip bone
- pain typically occurring about two weeks before the menstrual period is due
- pain felt on the right or left side, depending on which ovary is releasing an egg
- pain that may switch from one side to the other from one cycle to the next, or remain on one side for a few cycles
- a pain sensation that can vary between individuals for example, it could feel like uncomfortable pressure, twinges, sharp pains or cramps.
- pain that lasts any length of time from minutes to 48 hours.
Why May Bloat May Occur
While this is all perfectly natural and normal, these hormones can cause your body to retain water, which leads to bloating for many women. The condition typically resolves itself after a few days. If you experience the problem longer or suspect the cause is something else, talk to your doctor.
Experiencing this phenomenon in the middle of your normal cycle may be due to an abnormal condition that could be affecting your fertility. This can include polycystic ovarian syndrome , endometriosis, or ovarian cysts.
Also Check: Align Digestive Care Side Effects
Causes Of Ovulation Bloating
One of the leading causes of ovulation bloating is the hormonal changes that occur during and after ovulation. Hormonal changes may play havoc with your digestive tract. Due to high estrogen levels, a woman’s body may retain more water. Bloating during ovulation is of these changes in the body.
During the ovulation period, a woman may gain some weight due to fuller breasts and ovulation bloating. This weight gain during ovulation is due to water retention that happens in response to the change in hormone levels. A woman may crave salty and fatty foods, which leads to water retention, resulting in bloating and weight gain during ovulation.
The Role Of Weight Gain In Bloating
Most women notice that they tend to gain a few pounds when they ovulate. While this can be disheartening, its not a result of body fat. Water retention triggered by the hormones involved in ovulation is to blame. During this time, you may also find yourself craving salty foods. Unfortunately, consuming large amounts of sodium exacerbates water retention and worsens bloating.
Aside from food cravings, there are other signs that you may be ovulating. Being aware of ovulation can help you better prepare for and manage your symptoms.
These can include the following:
- A thick, stringy and wet vaginal discharge.
- Rises in your basal body temperature, which can be measured with a special thermometer first thing in the morning.
- Differences in your cervical position: During ovulation, the tissue may be soft and sit higher than normally in your vagina. However, this can be difficult to determine for the inexperienced. Learning how to do this is a worthwhile endeavor not only for determining ovulation but also detecting any potential medical issues early on.
- Spotting, sore breasts, mild unilateral pain or cramping, an altered sense of smell or taste and heightened libido.
Don’t Miss: Align Probiotic Instructions
Tips For Managing Severe Bloating During Ovulation
There are some tips women can use for managing severe bloating during ovulation:
- Drinking lots of water during the day
- Limiting salt intake by reducing the amount of processed and junk foods that women consume
- Taking a magnesium supplement can help with the symptom of bloating. However, it is better to consult with the doctor before taking this supplement
- Doing regular sport exercises monthly may also help in managing bloating during ovulation
- Trying to eat a low-FODMAP diet or fermentable carbohydrates . High fodmap foods stands for fermentable oligosaccharides, disaccharides, monosaccharides and polyols, short-chain carbohydrates that are poorly absorbed in the small intestine.
Is Cramping And Bloating Normal After Iui
Some women experience cramping after IUI. The catheter can sometimes irritate the uterus, which can cause mild cramping, too. Ovulation can also cause abdominal cramping. If youre ovulating multiple follicles, usually from taking medication to induce ovulation, this may worsen ovulation pain or cramping.
What Ovulation Symptoms Should You Look Out For
- Abdominal bloating
- Cramping on just one side of your pelvis
- An increased sex drive
- Heightened senses such as vision, taste or smell
- Ovulation pain
Many women experience a variety of secondary ovulation symptoms however these can be inconsistent throughout a womens life.
Every 28 days or so, one mature egg is released from the ovary. This is called ovulation.
After the egg is released, it moves into the fallopian tube where it stays for about 24 hours. If the egg is not fertilised during that time, the egg disintegrates and menstruation begins 2 weeks later.
How Can I Tell When I’m Ovulating
Ovulation is when an egg is released from one of your ovaries.
If you want to work out when you ovulate, there are a number of things you can use:
- the length of your menstrual cycle ovulation usually occurs around 10 to 16 days before your period starts, so you may be able to work out when you’re likely to ovulate if you have a regular cycle
- your cervical mucus you may notice wetter, clearer and more slippery mucus around the time of ovulation
- your body temperature there’s a small rise in body temperature after ovulation takes place, which you may be able to detect with a thermometer
- ovulation predictor kits hormone levels increase around the time of ovulation and this can be detected using ovulation predictor kits that measure the level of hormones in your pee
Using a combination of these methods is likely to be most accurate.
Also Check: Are Probiotics Good For Colitis
What Causes Bloating During Ovulation And Weight Gain
Midcycle weight gain that follows a pattern is not a cause for alarm. Weight gain during ovulation occurs because of changes to your body hormones, as both progesterone and estrogen make you retain more fluid than normal.
If this occurs, you can add a few pounds for a few days, so, its not something you should worry about. Though, you may still find you add more weight just before your period.
Why Do You Feel Bloated During An Ovulation
Ovulation can be something that does not affect you at all, but it could also be something that makes you worry about bloating.
There is a combination of causes that lead to this disturbing symptom. These include:
Higher salt intake.
Fluctuations of hormone levels.
It is common for every woman to crave chips, popcorn, cheese, and other salty foods during their ovulation. If they have many foods of this kind, ovulation bloating will worsen because salt retains water.
Naturally, it is not just the cravings that they have to blame, but also the hormones. Although usually, the female hormones are their friends, they prevent them from fitting into their jeans. The good news is that bloating can last only for a short period.
Read Also: Will Pickle Juice Help Heartburn
Why Does My Stomach Hurt After Sex 9 Causes Of Pain In Women
We look at the causes and what can be done about them.
Do you experience stomach pain during or after sex? Although there are some sexual positions that can make discomfort more likely than others, sex should not be painful. Dr Roger Henderson looks at what could be behind your stomach pain during or after sex, and what you should do about it.
The term dyspareunia refers to pain occurring during sexual activity when penetration is attempted or takes place. This pain or discomfort can be felt superficially around the entrance to the vagina or deep inside the belly, and can be sharp, cramp-like or burning in nature.
Emotion and psychological well-being can also impact on this, causing pelvic muscles to tighten up and so make any discomfort worse. Dyspareunia affects around 7 per cent of sexually active women aged 16-74 years old but is most common in women aged 16-24 and 55-64. A sudden onset of symptoms can suggest a psychosexual cause, while a gradual increase in symptoms is more likely to be physical or anatomical in nature.
Experiencing abdominal pain after sex can be due to a number of problems, and depends on the exact cause. Your doctor will take a careful history as to where the pain is felt, and what type of pain it is as this will help narrow down the diagnosis.
Recommended Reading: What Does Align Probiotic Do
Sex Toys Can Lead To Sperm Inside Of You
If youre using sex toys during intercourse, some semen and sperm cell residue can be left behind on the sex toys. Using these sex toys close to the vagina or inside it can mean that the sperm has gone in.
How to Avoid sperm from going in: If you want to avoid sperm getting inside you, make sure to wipe off any wet semen off your sex toys.
Indulging in self-sex that is absolutely safe is also an option.
Pro-tip for sperm to go in : According to research, there is a sex toy that allows you to get pregnant- Semenette. It is an ejaculating sex toy attached to a pump. This pump fills the Sementte with fluid . This is helpful for couples who have trouble conceiving using typical methods.
Intimate powderUse our Intimate Powder which has sweat absorbing properties it helps prevent rashes by soaking up the sweat and leaves your intimate area feeling fresh.Shop Now!
Dont Miss: Why Does Lettuce Give Me Diarrhea
Don’t Miss: What Does It Mean When You Keep Having Heartburn
When To Call Your Healthcare Provider
Sometimes mid-cycle pain can be a sign of a more significant problem with your ovary or possibly a pelvic infection. Certain signs and symptoms indicate a need to call your practitioner for diagnosis and treatment. These symptoms include:
- Pain not relieved by these tips
- Pain that lasts longer than two or three days
- Heavy bleeding during ovulation
- Having a vaginal discharge in addition to pelvic pain
Seek emergency care if any of the following occur:
- Increasing pain
- Abdominal pain with pain in one or both shoulder blades
- Vomiting blood
Infection Or Sexually Transmitted Infections
Is your pain accompanied by unusual or foul-smelling discharge? Do you have a fever? Do you feel burning when you urinate?
These symptoms might indicate a bacterial infection or a sexually transmitted infections that needs urgent medical attention.
Medical procedures or even childbirth can cause infections. Sometimes a urinary tract infection might even cause general pelvic pain.
Also Check: Can Align Probiotic Cause Nausea
Can Sperm Live For 10 Days
Although the possibility of sperm storage has rarely been considered, procedures such as artificial insemination indicate that sperm may survive in a womans body not just for 5 days but for 10 days or more. Moreover, human pregnancies following single coitus indicate conception virtually throughout the cycle.
Bloating During Ovulation With Gas: Causes Treatment
Question: What causes gas and bloating during ovulation? How long does ovulation bloating last?
Ovulation is a normal physiologic process that women experience from time to time. While you are expecting your period to begin, most times, you get different body symptoms that show your menstruation is close. Likewise, there are also other signs that can help you identify ovulation.
One common way is through the thickness of your discharge. During ovulation, an egg-like stretchy discharge is one way to tell if you are ovulating.
Another symptom a lot of girl experience is bloating during ovulation. Bloating is a perception of a swollen or distended stomach that makes you feel youve added more weight. Most times, you begin to feel cramps and belly tightness.
Abdominal bloating during and after ovulation occurs because of hormones, and the truth is, in most women, its not a cause for concern.
Heres an email from one of my readers
Just like Funmi, you will be worried if you experience cyclical symptoms of bloating that occurs during ovulation But you shouldnt. It occurs because of ovulation hormones, and may sometimes be worsened by what you have eaten or drank.
Nevertheless, bloating during ovulation may occur for some other serious reasons that will require you to see a doctor immediately. Irritable bowel syndrome, lactose intolerance, food allergy, overeating, constipation are other causes of bloating.
Don’t Miss: What Does It Mean When You Keep Having Heartburn
A Doctor Explained 4 Possible Reasons Behind Your Postsex Bloating And Its Intriguing
Have you ever had amazing sex with your partner, only to experience discomfort and bloating in your stomach afterwards? Youre not alone. It may seem strange to bloat after sexual intercourse of all things! but its not as uncommon as one may think. Unfortunately there isnt a quick fix to ease your bloating, but understanding more about your anatomy may help you get down to the bottom of your postsex bloating.
Editors note: We recognize that not everyone who has a vagina is a woman. For this particular story, the expert we interviewed referred to those with vaginas as women.
Dont Miss: Can Prenatal Vitamins Cause Diarrhea
Ovulation Bloating Vs Bloating Before Periods
The easiest way for a woman to check if she is having ovulation bloating is to track when the bloating occurs during her monthly menstrual cycles. Ovulation bloating may happen during the middle of her menstrual cycle between days 11 and 14 of the process. Bloating can occur before a period, or PMS bloating may begin after ovulation. It may start one week before menses begin and may last up to one week after they stop.
Apart from bloating, there is a list of other additional PMS symptoms:
- Changes in sex drive or appetite.
Don’t Miss: Can Peanuts Cause Acid Reflux
Changes In Your Discharge
Around the time you ovulate, you might observe changes in the quality and quantity of your cervical mucus . “CM should be abundant, thin and very stretchy,” Dr. Rizk says. “It should be able to stretch between your fingers without breaking and will not hold its form.” If you notice that your cervical fluids are more transparent, sticky, or even slippery during ovulation, that’s totally common. According to Dr. Rizk, this change is an essential part of the process to getting pregnant.
If youâre looking to get pregnant, pay attention to when your discharge has the âconsistency of egg whites.â As Dr. Jodie Horton, MD, OB/GYN and chief wellness advisor for Love Wellness tells Bustle, âThis is the best time to have sex if you want to get pregnant as this sperm-friendly mucus helps sperm survive and swim.â
Ovulation Pain Taking Care Of Yourself
Consult with your doctor to make sure that your ovulation pain isnt caused by any underlying medical problem. Suggestions on taking care of benign ovulation pain yourself include:
- Try to relax. If the pain is particularly bothersome, rest in bed whenever you can.
- Use pain-relieving medication.
- Apply warmth to your lower abdomen. Use heat packs, hot water bottles or warm baths.
- Take anti-inflammatory medication. See your doctor or pharmacist for recommendations.
- The pill and other forms of hormonal contraceptive can prevent ovulation pain because they stop ovulation. Talk over this option with your doctor.
- See your doctor if you experience ovulation pain that lasts longer than three days, or if you have other symptoms such as heavy bleeding or discharge.
Don’t Miss: Why Does Lettuce Give Me Diarrhea
An Uptick In Vaginal Discharge
Just before ovulation, your vag starts making more clear, wet, stretchy or slippery discharge. Why? All that extra mucous-y stuff helps sperm make its way up your cervix to fertilize the egg.
So if you get a couple days each month where you feel like you cant get by without a panty liner, pay attention. Its a pretty strong sign that youre ovulating.
Signs And Symptoms Of Ovulation
- Change in cervical fluid the Cervical fluid that resembles egg whites is a sign you are near ovulation or are ovulating. Every woman can experience her own type of cervical fluid, and not all cervical fluid looks the same. Ovulation usually takes place on the day a woman has the most amount of wet fluid. There are products available to help improve cervical fluid production if that is an issue.
- Change in basal body temperature For most women, you will see that prior to ovulation, the basal body temperature is rather consistent. As you get closer to ovulation, you may have a slight decline, but it will be followed by a sharp increase after ovulation. The increase in temperature is the sign that ovulation has just occurred. Tracking your basal body temperature accurately over a few months can help you predict when ovulation is going to occur.
- Change in cervical position or firmness The cervix goes through many changes as a woman ovulates. During ovulation, the cervix will be soft, high, open and wet. For most women, it will take some time to be able to differentiate between what their cervix normally feels like and the changes it goes through during ovulation.
These 3 main signs of ovulation can be studied and tracked so that you can accurately predict when you ovulate. The Fertility Awareness Method has helped many women use these signs to prevent or achieve pregnancy.
Also Check: Align Digestive