What To Expect At Your Doctor’s Office
Your doctor will ask questions about your symptoms. Your doctor will also check to see if you are dehydrated, and may feel your abdomen to see if it is tender, and listen to your abdomen with a stethoscope. In some cases, you may need a blood test or you may need to provide a stool sample to check for an infection.
What Is Dog Diarrhea
Officially, dog diarrhea is the frequent evacuation of watery stools, or according to the American Gastroenterology Association , an increase in the frequency, fluidity, or volume of feces.
Regardless of the terminology, dog diarrhea is the main sign of intestinal dysfunction, and it can be classified as acute or chronic .
How Is Diarrhea Diagnosed
The healthcare provider will ask about your childs symptoms and health history. He or she will give your child a physical exam. Your child may have lab tests to check blood and urine.
Other tests may include:
A stool culture to check for abnormal bacteria or parasites in your childs digestive tract. A small stool sample is taken and sent to a lab.
A stool evaluation to check the stool for blood or fat
Blood tests to rule out certain diseases
Imaging tests to rule out structural problems
Tests to check for food intolerance or allergies
A sigmoidoscopy. This test lets the healthcare provider check the inside of part of your childs large intestine. It helps to tell what is causing diarrhea, stomach pain, constipation, abnormal growths, and bleeding. It uses a short, flexible, lighted tube . The tube is put into your childs intestine through the rectum. This tube blows air into the intestine to make it swell. This makes it easier to see inside.
Don’t Miss: How To Calculate Gpa For Ib Students
Explosive Diarrhea In Adults: Causes Complications And Treatment Tips
Explosive or severe diarrhea is not an everyday occurrence, so knowing what to expect when it occurs is helpful. In a regular stool, three-quarters are water and the remaining quarter is made up of undigested carbs, fiber, protein, fat, mucus, and intestinal secretions. Your large intestine absorbs the excess fluid so your stool isnt usually watery. In regular diarrhea, bowel movements have a more liquid consistency and are usually more frequent.
In cases of explosive diarrhea, the bowel contractions are stronger and more forceful, meaning your rectum is filled beyond its capacity. This type of diarrhea is often accompanied by increased gas activity, which increases the ejection and makes the excretion loud.
What Are The Symptoms Of Diarrhea
The symptoms you can experience when you have diarrhea can vary depending on if its mild or severe and what the cause of the diarrhea happens to be. Theres a link between severe cases of diarrhea and a medical condition that needs to be treated.
When you have diarrhea, you may experience all of these symptoms or only a few. The main symptom of diarrhea is loose or watery stool.
Other symptoms of mild diarrhea can include:
- Bloating or cramps in the abdomen.
- A strong and urgent need to have a bowel movement.
If you have severe diarrhea, you may experience symptoms like:
Severe diarrhea can lead to significant complications. If you have these symptoms, call your healthcare provider and seek medical attention.
Also Check: What Is The Best Probiotic To Take For C Diff
Can Antibiotics Cause Diarrhea
Most antibiotics can cause diarrhea. Antibiotics can change the balance of bacteria normally found in the intestines, allowing certain types of bacteria like C. difficile to thrive. When this happens, your colon can become overrun by bad bacteria that causes colitis .
Antibiotic-associated diarrhea can begin any time while youre taking the antibiotic or shortly thereafter. If you experience this side effect, call your healthcare provider to talk about the diarrhea and discuss the best option to relieve this side effect.
Treatments For Chronic Diarrhea
Once we determine the cause of your diarrhea, we work with you to develop a personalized treatment plan. If you are not comfortable taking a lot of medications, we may recommend alternative therapies, such as herbal supplements. If your treatment includes medical nutrition therapy, we take time to understand your food preferences before recommending changes to your diet.
Chronic diarrhea treatments may include:
Also Check: How To Take L Glutamine For Leaky Gut
What Is Chronic Diarrhea
Diarrhea is loose, runny poop. Weve all probably had it at one time or another. It tends to come out fast, suddenly and urgently, and you may have cramping or spasms in your colon when you go.
If you have food poisoning or the flu, you might have diarrhea for a day or so. It goes away when the original infection does. Chronic diarrhea is persistent diarrhea that continues for more than four weeks.
How common is this condition?
An estimated 1% to 3% of the population has chronic diarrhea. But these estimates may be low, as many people dont seek treatment unless they have other symptoms, such as pain or bleeding.
Is it normal to have diarrhea all day every day?
Chronic and frequent diarrhea is an everyday experience for some people, but under normal circumstances, it shouldnt be. Your colon, where poop is formed, is reacting to something abnormal.
Some people have chronic bowel diseases that cause chronic diarrhea. These diseases may not be curable, but you can treat the symptoms. Other causes are often curable with the right treatment.
What does persistent diarrhea indicate?
Normally, your colon receives liquefied food waste from your small intestine and gradually condenses it into solid poop. But with diarrhea, something impairs this process, leaving you with liquefied poop.
Something is making it hard for your colon to absorb water as it normally would, or making it excrete extra water, or both. It may be a problem with your colon itself or something abnormal inside it.
What Can I Give My Dog To Stop Diarrhea
When dealing with non-complicated cases of diarrhea, there are two options let the loose stool run its course or be proactive and use diarrhea medications combined with supplements and a bland diet to speed up the recovery.
Here are some over-the-counter medications and supplements pet owners can use to manage dog diarrhea.
Honest Paws Pre+ Probiotics. This product is specially formulated with both dog probiotics and prebiotics. It helps avoid dog diarrhea, loss of appetite, constipation, and other health issues. Additionally, it also boosts the immune system, helps with bad breath, and certain skin problems.
The supplement comes in the form of chicken-flavored powder and is packed in easy-use single-dose sachets. It is gluten-free, lab-tested, and made in the USA. Additionally, the product is safe to use in both dogs and cats.
Vets Preferred Anti Diarrhea Liquid for Dogs. If your dog is suffering from diarrhea, a quick and effective way to soothe their stomach and restore pet health is with Vets Preferred Advanced Anti Diarrhea.
This soothes your pets upset stomach and stops their diarrhea with its advanced formulation. This product has fast absorbent action, which helps alleviate the irritation, discomfort, and cramping associated with dog diarrhea within 2-3 days.
You May Like: Is Frequent Heartburn A Sign Of Pregnancy
What Can I Give My Child To Stop Diarrhea
Usually, medicine is not necessary to treat diarrhea in kids. In most cases, acute infectious diarrhea will stop when the body clears out the infection.
“Diarrhea is like a cough when you have a cold. Your gut is trying to get the bad stuff out, explains Dr. Lazar. “If you slow down the gut with an anti-diarrheal medicine during infectious diarrhea, you’re keeping the infection inside.
If your child’s diarrhea lasts more than a few days, check with your pediatrician to determine the cause and best treatment. For chronic diarrhea, your doctor might suggest a change of diet, medication or other ongoing treatment.
What Can I Feed A Dog With Diarrhea
Here are some ideas on what pet parents can feed dogs with diarrhea:
- Bland Diet. Sometimes, simplicity is key one of the oldest home remedies for dog diarrhea is a bland diet of boiled chicken and white rice. The meat to starch ratio needs to be 1:2 one cup meat to two cups rice. The chicken is chosen because it is an easily digestible protein source and the starch from the rice has the ability to bind water, thus changing the fecal consistency. The bland diet mixture is given in small amounts several times per day.
- Canned Pumpkin and Ginger. Canned pumpkin is great for soothing upset stomachs. Once digested, pumpkin is slowly absorbed, making an excellent modifier for stool consistency it is a remedy for both constipation and diarrhea.Your dog may not be fond of the taste, but ginger promotes and maintains a healthy digestive tract. Ginger has potent anti-inflammatory properties, which can also help with non-GI-related issues like arthritis.
- Bone Broth. Bone broth is a great option for easing an upset stomach while simultaneously hydrating your dog. To make bone broth, simply simmer a whole chicken in a mixture of water and apple cider vinegar in a crockpot until the meat falls off the bone. We recommend purchasing a specially formulated brand for dogs because certain ingredients in human broth can cause further irritation and prolong the bouts of diarrhea.
Recommended Reading: How To Not Look Bloated
Lifestyle Dos And Donts When You Have Diarrhea
Along with knowing what to eat and drink when youre dealing with gastrointestinal woes, its also important to be mindful of other everyday habits to help you deal with diarrhea.
Do wash your hands. Since diarrhea can sometimes be transmitted by person-to-person contact or from contaminated hands, washing your hands after using the bathroom and before you eat or prepare food can help block possible diarrhea-causing pathogens. Handwashing can reduce episodes of diarrhea by about 30 percent, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. To wash properly, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends wetting your hands, then applying soap and rubbing them together for at least 20 seconds. Make sure to include the backs of your hands, between your fingers, and under your nails. Rinse with clean, running water and dry thoroughly. An alcohol-based hand sanitizer containing at least 60 percent alcohol can work, too.
Do know when to call the doctor. Mayo Clinic advises to seek medical help if you have any of the following symptoms:
- Your diarrhea lasts more than two days.
- You experience severe abdominal pain or pain in your rectum.
- Youre dehydrated or exceptionally weak.
- You have a fever of 102 degrees F or higher.
- Your stools are bloody or black and tar-like.
When Do I Need To See A Health Care Provider For Diarrhea
Although it is usually not harmful, diarrhea can become dangerous or signal a more serious problem. Contact your health care provider if you have:
- Signs of dehydration
- Diarrhea for more than 2 days, if you are an adult. For children, contact the provider if it lasts more than 24 hours.
- Severe pain in your abdomen or rectum
- A fever of 102 degrees or higher
- Stools containing blood or pus
- Stools that are black and tarry
If children have diarrhea, parents or caregivers should not hesitate to call a health care provider. Diarrhea can be especially dangerous in newborns and infants.
Don’t Miss: Does Freezing Yogurt Kill The Probiotics
Treatment & Prevention Of Diarrhea At Dignity Health
Diarrhea treatment depends on the underlying cause. For bacterial and parasitic infections, your doctor will prescribe anti-infective medicines, such as antibiotics.Preventing dehydration is the main focus of viral diarrhea treatment. This means replacing electrolytes and drinking plenty of fluids. Over-the-counter antidiarrheal medicines can successfully treat viral diarrhea in adults. However, these medicines should not be used for bacterial diarrhea, parasitic diarrhea, or diarrhea in children.Because spicy, greasy, and high-fiber foods can worsen your symptoms, eat bland foods, such as rice and crackers, until your symptoms subside.The two best methods for preventing diarrhea are sanitary food preparation and thorough handwashing.Find a Doctor if you would like to learn more about treating diarrhea in the Bay Area.Dignity Health offers emergency care for a wide range of conditions, including diarrhea, in San Francisco, Santa Cruz, and Redwood City,
How Can I Treat My Acute Diarrhea
In most cases, you can treat your acute diarrhea with over-the-counter medicines such as loperamide and bismuth subsalicylate . Doctors generally do not recommend using over-the-counter medicines for people who have bloody stools or feversigns of infection with bacteria or parasites. If your diarrhea lasts more than 2 days, see a doctor right away.
When you have acute diarrhea, you may lose your appetite for a short time. When your appetite returns, you can go back to eating your normal diet. Learn more about eating when you have diarrhea.
Don’t Miss: Does Ibs Make You Tired
What Are The Signs Of Diarrhea In Dogs
Given below are some of the signs and symptoms of dog diarrhea. These include:
- Loss of Appetite. Your dog might completely stop eating if it gets diarrhea because of the digestive distress it is facing.
- Vomiting. Since your dog is unable to hold in any food and process it, chances are they might vomit it all out.
- Retching. This happens because of indigestion and can be a very uncomfortable experience for your dog.
- Accidents in the House. Because of the increased bowel movement frequency, the dog can make accidents around the house .
- Painful Abdomen. Due to flatulence, your dog might have an upset stomach that could be borderline painful for them.
- Weakness/Lethargy. Since your dog is unable to hold and digest food, they might become weak and even dehydrated. This is a worrisome sign and needs the attention of a vet.
- Fever or Hypothermia. This is another sign that your dog has diarrhea. While this does not last long, it can have fatal consequences if not treated immediately.
- Weight Loss. If your dog has chronic diarrhea, it might end up losing a lot of weight. Change in body weight is not regularly linked with acute diarrhea.
Whats The Difference Between Normal Diarrhea And Severe Diarrhea
There are actually several different ways to classify diarrhea. These types of diarrhea include:
- Acute diarrhea: The most common, acute diarrhea is loose watery diarrhea that lasts one to two days. This type doesnt need treatment and it usually goes away after a few days.
- Persistent diarrhea: This type of diarrhea generally persists for several weeks two to four weeks
- Chronic diarrhea: Diarrhea that lasts for more than four weeks or comes and goes regularly over a long period of time is called chronic diarrhea.
Also Check: Does Pickle Juice Help Heartburn
Home Remedies For Dog Diarrhea
A great many cases are mild and, with your vets advice, maybe treated without a trip to the office. They may respond to a regimen of very basic treatments, including:
These treatments are good to have on hand and can be ordered online for quick delivery.
Withholding food for 12 to 24 hours, and providing water in small amounts frequently, can clear the cause of the upset and allow the gastrointestinal tract to settle. Its usually the first line of attack for diarrhea. Before you decide on a fast, be sure that your dog is healthy enough to endure it. Puppies, and elderly dogs, for example, need nutrients. Also, a fast may not be appropriate for small dogs who do not have the physical reserves of their larger cousins.
Diarrhea can lead to dehydration, so make sure to give your dog access to water at all times. You may also offer unflavored Pedialyte to help maintain electrolyte balance under a vets advice.
Kitchen Cures for Dog Diarrhea
After a fast, simple foods are usually introduced slowly. Many dog owners start with foods that act as binders, which can help normalize stool consistency. Some tried-and-true methods include:
How Is Diarrhoea Treated
In the case of simple short-term episodes of diarrhoea, which usually clear up by themselves in healthy people, you will probably be able to manage your symptoms through home care.
You should try to do the following:
- stay off work or school until you have not had a loose bowel motion for 24 hours
- drink clear fluids or oral rehydration solution to replace lost fluids take small sips if you feel sick
- avoid fruit juice, cordials and sugary drinks they will prolong the diarrhoea
- avoid alcohol and caffeine
- manage your diet until you get back to normal eat bland foods, such as rice, pasta and crackers, and avoid fatty foods or those high in insoluble fibre
Don’t Miss: Is It Possible To Take Too Many Probiotics
What Is The Most Common Cause Of Diarrhea In Dogs
The cause of dog diarrhea can be something as simple as an upset stomach or as severe as cancer. Before reviewing the most common causes, we should emphasize that diarrhea is not a disease but a sign of intestinal dysfunction.
Here are the most common causes of diarrhea in dogs:
When To See Your Doctor
While many cases of diarrhea can be treated at home with OTC remedies, rest, and a temporarily restricted diet, if it lasts long enough you should consult your doctor. Call your doctor if your diarrhea lasts more than 2 days without improvement or if you get dehydrated.
If you get dehydrated or have other symptoms, you may need to go to the emergency room to get prompt treatment.
Other symptoms to watch for include black or bloody stools, severe abdominal pain, or a fever of 102°F or higher. You can call your doctor and ask what you should do if you experience any of these symptoms.
If your child has diarrhea, call their pediatrician and ask whether you should take them to the emergency room if they:
- dont improve after 24 hours
- havent had a wet diaper in three or more hours
- have a fever of 102°F or higher
- have a dry mouth or tongue
- cry without tears
You May Like: Does Leaky Gut Make You Smell