Can Yogurt Substitute For Sour Cream And Vice Versa
Technically, yogurt is an excellent alternative for sour cream and vice versa. Why? Because they are both creamy with a tangy flavor. Greek yogurt is seen as a perfect substitution for sour cream.
Regular yogurts might not be strained therefore, they still have a lot of whey. But Greek yogurt is strained, making them have a similar texture profile as sour cream. So you can use the ratio of 1:1 to substitute.
However, as yogurt cannot pair well with high heat while sour cream can, so make sure you check the temperature before replacing one with another.
Can Dogs Eat Bananas
Yes, dogs can eat bananas. In moderation, bananas are a great low-calorie treat for dogs. Theyre high in potassium, vitamins, biotin, fiber, and copper. They are low in cholesterol and sodium, but because of their high sugar content, bananas should be given as a treat, not part of your dogs main diet.
Long Live The Probiotic
Cultured cream is full of probiotic goodness, so keep in mind how you use it. It can be added to sauces and baked goods, but once the cultured cream is heated the good bacteria will die. Consider the options: dollop it on top of curries, soup, meat and vegetables at the table rather than heating the cream in the entire dish. If a recipe does require you add cream or sour cream to a sauce make sure the chocolate has cooled to below 43° C before stirring it through.
You May Like: What To Do For Constipation During Pregnancy
Does Cottage Cheese Have Probiotics
People have become increasingly interested in probiotics over the previous five years. This likely due to the emergence of probiotic supplement and Greek yogurt as the cool kid in the world of dairy. Greek yogurt contains probiotics in case you missed one, of what seems like a thousand,Jamie Lee Curtis Activia commercials where she touts the benefits of probiotics contained in yogurt. There is truth to those commercials according to studies because probiotics do in fact help with digestion. But what about cottage cheese?
Health Benefits Of Good Brands
Cottage cheese is an excellent source of protein, healthy fat, calcium, phosphorus, complex B-vitamins, & selenium. This real food has plenty of health benefits associated with it such as the following:
- Packed with Protein: One cup of cottage cheese = 25 grams of protein
- Muscle Repair: The casein found in cottage cheese is slow-digesting and feeds your cells over long periods of time helping reduce muscle breakdown.
- Controls Hunger: People who eat cottage cheese feel fuller longer because it controls the amount of hormone ghrelin.
- B-12 Vitamins: About 24% of your daily recommended B12 intake is found in 1 cup of cottage cheese.
- Selenium: About 30% of your daily recommended selenium is found in 1 cup of cottage cheese.
- Boosts Bone Health: Many dairy products like cottage cheese can be an excellent source of calcium and phosphorus, which work together for optimal bone health in the body.
Read Also: How To Make Heartburn Go Away Without Tums
Does All Cottage Cheese Have Probiotics
Not all cottage cheeses contain probiotics, but Good Cultures tubs are packed with live and active cultures, and they come in a variety of sweet flavors like strawberry, blueberry, raspberry, blackberry and more. Cottage cheese is one of the most popular dairy products in the U.S., and its also a great source of calcium, vitamin D, potassium, magnesium and other nutrients.
Its a good choice for people who are trying to lose weight, or for those who want to eat more vegetables and less processed foods. You can also use cottage cheese as a substitute for milk in recipes that call for cows milk, such as soups, stews and casseroles.
How Can I Use Leftover Whey
When you have leftover whey, DON’T THROW IT OUT! It’s high in protein, has low lactose and is nutritious. When I make homemade Farmer’s Cheese or Homemade Sour Cream, there is usually leftover whey. I usually keep it in the fridge and use it the next day. Here are some tips to use.
- Blini – Russian Crepes – substitute some milk or water with whey
- Breakfast – add it to your morning oatmeal for breakfast
- Smoothies – blend it with your fruit smoothie for extra protein
- Baking – substitute milk or water with whey
- Soups – Mix it into your homemade soups
- Fermenting – Add leftover whey to your ferment when making pickles or sauerkraut
- Freeze it – until you’re ready to use it
Recommended Reading: Does Monk Fruit Cause Diarrhea
How To Make Sour Cream
Multiple brands of sour cream are available ready-made at supermarkets but it is super easy to prepare it at home. There are two ways in which sour cream can be prepared. Heres how its done.
If you are dealing with raw cream, leaving it overnight lets it develop lactic acid-producing bacteria. These bacteria ferment the cream by breaking down the sugars in it into lactic acid, resulting in sour cream.
But if you have pasteurized cream, which is most widely used all over, you might have to add some starter cultures that thrive at moderate temperatures. Cultures can either be store-bought or can also be the regular yogurt or buttermilk in your home. It is recommended to use dairy starter cultures with as few ingredients as possible.
Supermarkets and grocery stores sell a variety of sour creams like regular, low-fat and fat-free. Some brands also offer vegan dairy-free sour cream made from cashews or coconut cream.
You May Like: What Is The Best Probiotic For Toddlers
How Is Cottage Cheese Made Step By Step
The following is a summary of the procedures:
Recommended Reading: What Probiotics Help With Weight Loss
Does Good Culture Cottage Cheese Have Lactose
A total of five components are used to make the new Lactose-Free Cottage Cheese: milk, heavy whipping cream, sea salt, live and active cultures, and lactase enzyme. We are also excited to make Good Culture available to lactose-sensitive individuals who are searching for a clean, nutrient-dense, and delectable dining experience.
Dont Miss: What To Put In A Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Where To Buy Sour Cream
You’ll find sour cream available in supermarkets, grocery stores, and even other stores that stock basic dairy products. Look in the dairy cooler section. Containers of sour cream are generally inexpensive and the standard 16-ounce container is equivalent to 2 cups, which is more than enough for most recipes. Powdered sour cream is another option that allows you to always have it on hand without the need to worry about spoilage. A specialty item you might have to buy online, it’s reconstituted with water and you can mix up just as much as you need.
Recommended Reading: Can Lactose Intolerance Cause Diarrhea
How To Make Cultured Cream Step By Step
It is recommended you sterilise the yogurt making bowl and whisk beforehand. I have always found it is enough to wash in hot soapy water, then rinse in boiling water. The main danger with not sterilising is that other bacteria can overpower your starter culture and affect the quality of your precious starter culture.
1. Scoop the cream from the tub directly into the yoghurt making jar. 2. Add the starter culture and gently stir it in. 3. The cream is now ready to begin fermentation. Put the lid firmly on the glass yogurt jar and place into your yogurt maker. 4. Pour water slowly into the base. The water must not be filled over the tall line indicated on the inside wall of the maker.
5. Place the cover lid on top. 6. Set the time & temperature. Use the digital control panel to set the temperature to 38° C , the time to 12 – 24 hours and then press confirm to begin incubation.7. When the fermentation is complete. Condensation will have collected under the cover lid. Please take care removing it and allow the water to drip into the water bath, instead of your bench!8. Switch the yogurt maker off and remove the jar. Straight from the maker the cream will be warm and depending on the fat content of your cream it may look like it has melted butter on top. 9. Place the cream in the fridge for at least 6 hours to chill and set.
Why Make It Homemade
Sure, you can go to the store and buy a carton of buttermilk to add to recipes.
But theres just something special about making cultured buttermilk at home. Not to mention, when you make it at home, you get to control the ingredients that go into the final product.
So, if youve decided to give culturing buttermilk a try, here are three methods for doing so. Weve outlined the pros and cons for each so you can decide which method might work best for your lifestyle.
Jump to a Section:
Also Check: Is Activia A Good Probiotic
Fun Facts About Yogurt
You all know what yogurt is, but I bet you have not known the standard temperature to make them, what bacteria that people use to make yogurt, or anything else relating to their origin. So here they are, a list of 10 short facts about them.
- Yogurt is made of bacterially fermented milk with a fat content of around 10 to 12%.
- To produce yogurt, milk will undergo a heat process at 185 F degrees , then let it cool down at 113 F degrees in the next 4 to 12 hours for the fermentation process .
- The bacteria added to make yogurt are Lactobacillus bulgaricus, Lactobacillus lactis, Lactobacillus helveticus, and Streptococcus thermophilus. Of course, they are beneficial bacteria.
- Cows milk, the most popular milk, is mainly used to make yogurt.
- Yogurt is believed to have emerged in Mesopotamia in 5000 BC.
- People also believe that yogurt was invented by accident. A shepherd forgot his milk, and when he realized, milk had already transformed into yogurt a thicker and tangier product.
- The term yogurt is not originally English. It is from Turkey.
- Yogurt was introduced to Americans in the early 1900s.
- Yogurt consumption in the USA is approximately 300,000 tons annually.
- Yogurt is a perfect remedy for your skin, gut, and immune system.
How Traditional Smetana Is Made
I remember watching my grandmother making traditional homemade Smetana in her kitchen. Smetana was originally made by allowing natural farm milk to ferment for a few days in a warm room or oven. Natural farm milk has more cream in it compared to what you buy in the store, which makes great Smetana. My grandma always had farm milk, but would separate the milk and cream, then let the cream ferment to make Smetana. Using cream is tastier than using milk.
Lacto-fermentation turns the top layer into thickened Smetana or Soured Cream. You would then ‘smetat’ or sweep the top off, which led to the word Smetana or Sour Cream. You could still use this method, but is sometimes unpredictable.
Nowadays, Smetana usually involves adding a culture to milk, allowing it to ferment. In Russian, it’s called zakvaska which is a fermentation starter full of probiotics you can buy. I use a natural probiotic rich Greek Yogurt to make sour cream. You can also use some Russian Smetana or Homemade Sour Cream from a previous batch to kick start this batch. Simply allow to lacto-ferment for a day or two, and there you have it!
Also Check: Why Does Red Wine Give Me Diarrhea
Can I Eat Sour Cream Instead Of Yogurt
Sour cream will give you a similar texture and tanginess, and swapping sour cream for yogurt is a simple 1-to-1 ratio. If you are using a fat-free variety, the substitution only works for the cream, not the yogurt.
If you want to make your own yogurt, youll need a yogurt maker. You can buy one online, or you can make one at home with a few basic ingredients and a couple of hours of time.
Yogurts Positive And Negative Impact On Human
Yogurt and its health advantages are undoubted. Here are 6 good key impacts of eating yogurt.
- Good For Your Digestive System: Some types of yogurt contain probiotics, like Bifidobacteria and Lactobacillus, which can decrease some bowel problems.
- Boost Your Immune Health: Once again, the probiotic in some yogurt will prevent the chances of minor illnesses like cold, flu, and inflammation.
- For A Better Skin: The anti-inflammatory compounds and probiotics in yogurt can restore the skin and treat acne well.
- Can Improve Your Bone Strength: The nutrients in yogurt are a good source for your bone health. Consuming yogurt can reduce the risk of osteoporosis.
- Ideal For Weight-watchers: Yogurt can help you maintain a good diet, lower body fat and weight as they are low in calories and fat.
- Can Prevent Heart Diseases: Some low-fat yogurt types are perfect for your heart. It also maintains the function of your blood to reduce high blood pressure.
- A Great Choice For Gluten-Sensitive People: If you are considering adding yogurt to a gluten-free diet, feel free to do so! However, some manufacturers might include seeds or grains in their products for more flavor, so always check the ingredients list.
Probiotic a microorganism that you can find in yogurt is a good doctor for your gut. And this presentation will show you why.
However, yogurt has also proved that they might not be made for everyone, such as:
Also Check: How To Get Rid Of Coke Bloat
Whats The Difference Between Prebiotic And Probiotic Foods
Most types of fiber are fully digested before reaching the intestines, but others, the prebiotics, stay intact through the metabolic process and feed the intestinal bacteria in the gut.
Related: Probiotics for Weight Loss
Prebiotic foods are fiber-rich and encourage the growth of beneficial microorganisms that already exist in the gut, such as lactobacillus and bifidobacteria, she says. Leeks, onions, tofu, some soy products and grains are examples of prebiotic foods.
Probiotics thrive when an individual consumes adequate prebiotic-rich foods within a diverse diet, Fiorita says. One group is not healthier than the otherwe need both.
Is Sour Cream A Pre Or Probiotic
Lactic acidbacteria are one of the most common types ofbacteria found in the human digestive tract and are one of the reasons why sour cream is traditionally made. The bacteria produce lactase, an enzyme that breaks down lactose, the sugar in milk, into glucose and galactose. Lactase is also responsible for the production of short-chain fatty acids, or SCFAs, such as butyric acid and caproic acid.
SCFAs have been shown to reduce the risk of heart disease, diabetes, and certain cancers, as well as improve insulin sensitivity and blood sugar control in people with type 2 diabetes. In addition, studies have shown that consuming a high-fat, low-carbohydrate diet can help people lose weight and maintain a healthy weight.
Recommended Reading: How To Reduce Bloating Immediately
Some Varieties Contain Probiotics
Probiotics are live microbes that provide various health benefits, such as improved digestion and immune function, when consumed .
Sour cream is traditionally made by fermenting dairy cream with lactic acid bacteria, which are one of the most common probiotics in food production. Thus, certain types of sour cream may offer probiotic benefits .
Yet, most commercial sour cream is pasteurized to lower the risk of food poisoning, meaning that any live bacteria are destroyed before they make it into the final product.
However, some brands, such as Nancys, add these microorganisms back into their sour cream after pasteurization so that you can still reap probiotic benefits.
You can also try fermenting your own sour cream at home.
Are There Probiotics In Sour Cream
Probiotics are live microorganisms with possible digestive health benefits. Probiotics are found in fermented dairy products such as sour cream and yogurt, or can also be purchased over-the-counter and added to foods as a supplement. Not all sour cream varieties contain probiotics — look for a label that says “contains active cultures.”
Don’t Miss: Why Does Alcohol Make You Bloated
Chicken Enchiladas With Sour Cream
If you are a fan of Mexican cuisine, you might be too familiar with enchiladas. But have you ever tried this dish with sour cream and chicken? If not, it is time to make this dish, because I guarantee you and your family will love it.
Other ingredients such as cheese, onions, or green chilies combined with mentioned components will provide unforgettable enchiladas. And guess what, the leftovers are even tastier on the next day. Pin this recipe and make it this weekend.
Should I Take Probiotic Supplements
Probiotic supplements are pills, powders, or liquids that contain live beneficial bacteria or yeast.
Theyre very popular and easy to find, yet not all of them are worth your money. They do not all have the same types of bacteria or the same concentrations. There are also many products on the market making claims with no proof of efficacy .
They also usually do not come with fibrous food sources for the bacteria to eat, which can hinder their effectiveness if someone isnt also eating those foods.
Some probiotic supplements are designed to carry the bacteria all the way to your large intestine for better effects, while others probably dont make it past your stomach acid .
There are some individuals who should not take a probiotic, or who may experience worsened symptoms if they do, such as people with small intestinal bacterial overgrowth or people sensitive to ingredients in the supplement.
However, the right strains of probiotics can be incredibly beneficial for some people. It depends on the type of strain, product formula, the quality of the product, and storage. (
Don’t Miss: How To Treat Ibs M