What Dosage Of Vitamin D Can Make You Poop
The recommended daily intake of vitamin D is 600 IU. We should take at least this dosage, in order, to deal with constipation.
Firstly, check your serum vitamin D levels and consult your health care provider. You may need to take vitamin D supplements, if youre deficient in vitamin D.
Vitamin D supplementation is considered pretty safe, though. Daily dosages up to 10,000 IU for a couple of months could help you, if youve low levels of vitamin D.
Moreover, vitamin D is beneficial for preventing hair loss, losing weight, protecting bones, boosting immune system, and many more.
How Can You Determine Whether You Have A Vitamin D Deficiency
A blood test can tell you whether you have low levels of vitamin D. Our team at Garcia Weight Loss and Wellness Centers can perform this test in our clinics. Vitamin D blood tests are easy to obtain at many doctors offices and are relatively inexpensive. Aim to test your vitamin D levels every three months and adjust your supplements as needed.
If results indicate that you are deficient in vitamin D, start using a daily supplement with your largest meal. Our vitamin D supplements contain D3 as cholecalciferol and contain 5,000 IU. Our Vivaliti DNA Health Optimization Test can also reveal whether you have a genetic variant associated with low vitamin D levels.
Our Ultra-Wellness services can determine whether you have low levels of vitamin D or other chemical imbalances that may be contributing to fatigue, poor sleep, illness, and other symptoms. Contact us today to request a no-cost consultation and learn more about how to reach your health and wellness goals!
This post was originally published in May, 2017, and has been updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
What Are Some Things I Need To Know Or Do While I Take Caltrate 600+d
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Caltrate 600+D . This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- If you are allergic to tartrazine, talk with your doctor. Some products have tartrazine.
- This medicine may prevent other drugs taken by mouth from getting into the body. If you take other drugs by mouth, you may need to take them at some other time than Caltrate 600+D . Talk with your doctor.
- Follow the diet plan that your doctor told you about.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Caltrate 600+D while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
Also Check: Do Bananas Help With Bloating
What Does Sunlight Have To Do With Getting Enough Vitamin D
There are health benefits of sunlight. Vitamin D is produced when your skin is exposed to sunshine, or rather, the ultraviolet B radiation that the sun emits. The amount of vitamin D that your skin makes depends on such factors as:
- The season: This factor depends a bit on where you live. In areas such as Cleveland, OH, the UV-B light does not reach the earth for six months out of the year due to the ozone layer and the zenith of the sun.
- The time of day: The sun’s rays are most powerful between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m.
- The amount of cloud cover and air pollution.
- Where you live: Cities near the equator have higher ultraviolet light levels. It is the UV-B light in sunlight that causes your skin to make vitamin D.
- The melanin content of your skin: Melanin is a brown-black pigment in the eyes, hair and skin. Melanin causes skin to tan. The darker your skin, the more sun exposure is needed in order to get sufficient vitamin D from the sun.
Is A Vitamin D Deficiency Behind Your Ibs
Vitamin D has been receiving a lot of research attention for two reasons: More information is being gained as to its role in our health and, in our overall population, rates of vitamin D deficiency are increasing. One small but emerging area of research has to do with vitamin D’s relationship with irritable bowel syndrome . In this overview, you will become educated about vitamin D, find out what the latest research is uncovering regarding its role in IBS, and how to ensure you are taking in adequate amounts of this important substance.
Also Check: Why Spicy Food Causes Heartburn
Vitamin D And Parathyroid Hormone Levels Measurement
Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D and parathyroid hormone levels were measured in patients and healthy controls within 1 hour from blood draw. Overall subjects were enrolled in the interval time of the year with major sunlight exposition, when 25–D values are usually higher. The 25–D levels status was categorized as usually proposed by experts in literature: using a standardized cut-off .
Why Do Calcium Supplements Cause Constipation
Watch the video below or read the transcript here as Lara Pizzorno, Bone Health Expert dives in further to this common question. And dont forget to continue reading for more insight not in the video.
Most calcium supplements cause constipation because they supply only calcium or just calcium and vitamin D. It takes a variety of nutrients for proper absorption of calcium, especially magnesium. Magnesium is a natural laxative and thus counterbalances the constipating effects of calcium.
If your calcium supplement and/or your diet lack magnesium then constipation can occur. But with enough magnesium, your colon walls will relax helping you pass stool along. Additionally, magnesium attracts water, meaning more water gets to your colon and softens your stool.
On the flip-side, calcium contracts muscles. If youre getting too much calcium the muscle walls of your colon contract, making it harder to pass stool. The longer your stool sits in the colon, the more water is pulled out of it. This makes the stool dense and hard, making it significantly harder to pass and likely painful.
Magnesium reduces tension on the walls of your colon which allows for a normal peristaltic action. Peristaltic action, also known as peristalsis, means a radially symmetrical contraction and relaxation of muscles which propagates in a wave down the muscular tube. This means the rhythmic movement of your intestinal tract that moves food from one end to the other.
Recommended Reading: Why Does Lettuce Give Me Diarrhea
How Is Vitamin D Deficiency Treated
The goals of treatment and prevention are the sameto reach, and then maintain, an adequate level of vitamin D in the body. While you might consider eating more foods that contain vitamin D and getting a little bit of sunlight, you will likely be told to take vitamin D supplements.
Vitamin D comes in two forms: D2 and D3. D2, also called ergocalciferol, comes from plants. D3, also called cholecalciferol, comes from animals. You need a prescription to get D2. D3, however, is available over the counter. It is more easily absorbed than D2 and lasts longer in the body dose-for-dose. Work with your doctor to find out if you need to take a vitamin supplement and how much to take if it is needed.
Include Essential Oils In The Diet
Essential oils come with their own sets of benefits. Most importantly these oils play an important role in maintaining and supporting a very healthy digestive system. Using pure, therapeutic grade essential oils is recommended for treating constipation. Some oils in this category include tarragon oil, ginger oil, peppermint oil, fennel oil, anise seed oil etc.
You May Like: Ibs And Lettuce
Why Is Vitamin D So Important
Vitamin D is one of many vitamins our bodies need to stay healthy. This vitamin has many functions, including:
- Keeping bones strong: Having healthy bones protects you from various conditions, including rickets. Rickets is a disorder that causes children to have bones that are weak and soft. It is caused by a lack of vitamin D in the body. You need vitamin D so that calcium and phosphorus can be used to build bones. In adults, having soft bones is a condition called osteomalacia.
- Absorbing calcium: Vitamin D, along with calcium, helps build bones and keep bones strong and healthy. Weak bones can lead to osteoporosis, the loss of bone density, which can lead to fractures. Vitamin D, once either taken orally or from sunshine exposure is then converted to an active form of the vitamin. It is that active form that promotes optimal absorption of calcium from your diet.
- Working with parathyroid glands: The parathyroid glands work minute to minute to balance the calcium in the blood by communicating with the kidneys, gut and skeleton. When there is sufficient calcium in the diet and sufficient active Vitamin D, dietary calcium is absorbed and put to good use throughout the body. If calcium intake is insufficient, or vitamin D is low, the parathyroid glands will borrow calcium from the skeleton in order to keep the blood calcium in the normal range.
Sunlight Can Make You Poop
Unfortunately, there arent many foods containing high amounts of vitamin D. Cod liver oil is the best dietary source of vitamin D. Furthermore, only some fatty fish, eggs, and mushrooms contain significant amounts of vitamin D.
On the other hand, the human body can synthesize vitamin D when the skin is exposed to sunlight! Just 30 min a day is more than enough to take the recommended daily dosage of vitamin D.
The human body could easily synthesize more than 1,000 IU of vitamin D a day in summer and spring. Thats more than the recommended daily intake! On the contrary, it is estimated that we can synthesize only 200 IU of vitamin D in the winter.
It seems that skin exposure to sunlight may help you poop!
You May Like: Lettuce Causes Gas And Diarrhea
Do Babies Really Need Vitamin D Drops
Shortly after birth, most infants will need an additional source of vitamin D. To avoid developing a vitamin D deficiency, the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends breastfed and partially breastfed infants be supplemented with 400 IU per day of vitamin D beginning in the first few days of life.
Characteristics Of Patients With Intestinal Motility Disorders
As shown in Figure , 86 patients along with 86 healthy matched subjects, were finally enrolled. The characteristics of patients are shown in Table . About 85% of patients suffering from intestinal motility disorders were female, and mean age was 49.9 Â± 17.4 years. Patients with intestinal motility disorders had significantly lower intermediate and bachelor schooling degree, as compared to the control group .
Read Also: Can Soy Milk Cause Diarrhea
Side Effects Of Vitamin D
Although vitamin D plays a major role in ensuring a healthy body excessive levels can result in negative effects. Some of the side effects associated with excessive vitamin D consumption include
- Heart Rhythm Complications
You should not consume higher than recommended amounts of doses of vitamin D. In case you have to, its important to first consult with your doctor.
Vitamins That Can Cause Constipation
- By Sehat
It is quite a well-known fact that lots of people across the globe now consume various kinds of vitamins and supplements. Some of the most common items which are consumed include calcium supplements, multivitamin-mineral products, fish oil supplements, omega-3 supplements and all nowadays people had started consuming nutritional supplements to stop sugar cravings.;It is believed that the intake of these vitamins and supplements helps in ensuring the overall health of individuals. The deficiencies which cannot be met with normal foods are compensated with the consumption of supplements and vitamins.
However, many people might not know there are side effects of many supplements and vitamins as well. There are many vitamins that can cause constipation. Apart from this, other kinds of serious and severe side effects can be caused by intake of different kinds of supplements and vitamins. Therefore, before starting any kind of vitamin or supplements, it is recommended to seek medical advice. All kinds of items are not suitable for all body types.
Read Also: Why Does Lettuce Give Me Diarrhea
Do Vitamins Cause Constipation
Constipation is the most common gastrointestinal issue in the United States, reports the National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse — it affects approximately 4 million Americans. While anyone can develop constipation, women over age 65 face an increased risk, and so do pregnant women. Several factors — including poor diet, lack of physical activity, dehydration, irritable bowel syndrome and ignoring the urge to have a bowel movement — can all cause constipation, but some vitamins and vitamin supplements can also take the blame.
Can Vitamin D Help You Lose Weight
Vitamin D plays a crucial role in weight loss. If youre not losing weight despite exercising regularly, getting plenty of sleep, and eating healthy foods, its possible youre not getting enough vitamin D.
How is vitamin D linked to weight loss? The hypothalamus, which helps regulate your hormones, tells your body whether it should store or release fat depending on your level of vitamin D. If you dont have enough vitamin D, the hypothalamus tells your body to hold on to fat storage. If youre getting plenty of vitamin D, the hypothalamus tells your cells to burn fat.
This fat-hoarding or flab-melting mechanism triggered by vitamin D may have something to do with the seasons. When youre not getting enough sunshine, your body interprets this as the onset of winter. Just like animals that hibernate, humans have been programmed to hold on to their fat storage in anticipation of food shortage when there is less daylight. Lack of vitamin D tells the brain its time to start hoarding fat.
You May Like: Do Bananas Help With Bloating
How To Choose The Best Calcium
When looking at calcium supplements, consider these factors:
There are several things to consider when purchasing a calcium supplement. Running out to the store and buying the cheapest one you see can actually do you more harm than good. Not only can that supplement cause painful constipation, it can cause other health issues and end up being one more thing cluttering up your cabinets.
Consider the following points before putting your money towards a calcium supplement: Take a look at why you want to take a calcium supplement; how much you have to spend on the supplement; how frequently youll have to purchase more; the dosage; physical size of the supplement ; and product form liquid, tablet, capsule, powder, etc. Do your research to see what clinical studies, guarantees, certifications and measures for clean, ethical sourcing the company has.
Blood Pressure And Allergy Meds
- Constipation can be a side effect of some common drugs used to treat high blood pressure, such as calcium channel blockers and diuretics.
- Diuretics, for instance, lower blood pressure by increasing urine output, which flushes water from your system. However, water is needed to keep stools soft and get them out of the body.
- Antihistamines used to treat allergy symptoms can be a problem too.
Inflammatory bowel disease includes two chronic conditionsCrohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis. Both can cause cramping, weight loss, bloody stools, and other health problems.
Chronic diarrhea is a common symptom of both. However constipation can be a problem too.
In ulcerative colitis, constipation can be a sign of inflammation in the rectum and in Crohn’s disease it can be a sign of an obstruction in the small intestine. However if you have constipation alone, without other symptoms, it’s unlikely to be due to IBD.
- Constipation is common during pregnancy, but childbirth itself can be a problem, possibly due to sluggish abdominal muscles or perhaps the use of pain relievers or an anesthetic during the delivery.
- Also, “there may be some perineal soreness right after the delivery, so the fear of causing more discomfort may be an important factor in the constipation,” says Dr. Park.
- Although stretch injuries during childbirth can sometimes cause nerve damage that leads to constipation, this is less common.
Recommended Reading: Can Soy Milk Cause Diarrhea
What Are Symptoms Of Vitamin D Deficiency In Adults
Since vitamin D plays an important role in many bodily processes, there are a range of signs and symptoms that can indicate whether youre suffering from a deficiency. Many people deficient in vitamin D report feeling tired and weak all the time, and tend to get sick on a regular basis. Chronic pain in bones and muscles is other common symptom of vitamin D deficiency.
Symptoms of vitamin D deficiency in adults include:
How To Use Vitamin D3
Take vitamin D by mouth as directed. Vitamin D is best absorbed when taken after a meal but may be taken with or without food. Alfacalcidol is usually taken with food. Follow all directions on the product package. If you have any questions, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
If your doctor has prescribed this medication, take as directed by your doctor. Your dosage is based on your medical condition, amount of sun exposure, diet, age, and response to treatment.
If you are using the liquid form of this medication, carefully measure the dose using a special measuring device/spoon. Do not use a household spoon because you may not get the correct dose.
If you are taking the chewable tablet or wafers, chew the medication thoroughly before swallowing. Do not swallow whole wafers.
If you are taking the rapidly-dissolving tablets, dry your hands before handling the medication. Place each dose on the tongue, allow it to dissolve completely, and then swallow it with saliva or water. You do not need to take this medication with water.
Certain medications can decrease the absorption of vitamin D. Take your doses of these medications as far as possible from your doses of vitamin D . It may be easiest to take vitamin D at bedtime if you are also taking these other medications. Ask your doctor or pharmacist how long you should wait between doses and for help finding a dosing schedule that will work with all your medications.
Also Check: Why Does Lettuce Give Me Diarrhea