Warning Signs And Symptoms
Weight loss is one of the main warning signs for serious bloating. If you find yourself losing more than a few pounds without changing your diet or starting a new exercise regimen, that should be cause for concern, especially if its 10 percent or more of your body weight. Weight loss can be caused by tumors that press on the intestines, making you feel full after just a small amount of food, or from substances secreted by tumors that suppress your appetite.
Ascites is an abnormal buildup of fluid in the abdomen or pelvis. It can cause bloating, weight gain, and a rapidly expanding waistline. Ascites is usually caused by liver disease, but cancer is the culprit about 10 percent of the time. A large amount of fluid can make you look and feel like youre several months pregnant. The combination of bloating and jaundice, which turns the eyes and skin yellow, can be a sign of cancer thats spread to the liver, although it can also occur with more benign forms of liver disease like hepatitis.
Blood in your stool, vaginal bleeding in between periods, or postmenopausal vaginal bleeding can all be associated with serious bloating. Fortunately, the most common causes of these symptoms arent the most serious, but bleeding should always be evaluated because it can be a sign of cancer, particularly colon or uterine cancer.
Cook At Home More Often
Of course, not everyone has the time or ability to make home-cooked meals nightly. But when you can, try to make it a habit, as making your own meals can drastically decrease bloating.
People are often unaware of hidden salt in restaurant meals, as well as in processed foods, Dr. Streicher says. Of course, thats why restaurant meals taste so good, but if you do your own cooking you can make sure not to over-salt your food, which can make a huge difference as far as keeping bloating down.
What Naturally Reduces Bloating
Here are additional suggestions to decrease bloating: Eat slowly, and consume smaller, more frequent meals. Chew your foods well. Drink beverages at room temperature. Have your dentures checked for a good fit. Increase physical activity during the day. Sit up straight after eating. Take a stroll after eating.
Recommended Reading: Dannon Oikos Probiotics
Recommended Reading: Colostrum Gut Healing
How To Ease The Bloating During Your Period
While feeling bloated and gassy during your period is totally normal, it doesnt make it nice. And unfortunately, there isnt a magical way to stop the bloating and flatulence. However, there are small things you can do to relieve these two symptoms.
- Ease on the cravings: it is normal to have some cravings on the days before or during your period yes, this is also the work of hormones or increased appetite. Normally, what we crave are sugary or oily foods, which are not so friendly for the gut. Try to not give in to all the unhealthy cravings you feel, since they might be contributing for you feeling bloated and gassy during your period.
- Eat slowly: and since your appetite might also be heightened, you might have a tendency to binge or eat your meals too fast. Try eating more slowly which means youll chew your food better and not stuff yourself to improve your digestion and not feel so bloated and gassy during your period.
- Drink lots of water: besides hydrating, water can help ease digestion and that might decrease the bloating and flatulence.
- Forget carbonated drinks: carbonated drinks are the enemies of bloated and gassy tummies, for pretty obvious reasons.
- Exercise: exercising keeps your bowels active and moving, and because of that prevents constipation. And if your bowels move in the right way, so will the gas. Check the best exercises to do on your period.
Take good care. Of yourself. Of your body. Of your period.
What Causes Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency In Children
Cystic fibrosis is the top cause of EPI in infants and children. Children inherit cystic fibrosis from a parent. It causes thick mucus to build up in the lungs, making breathing difficult. Mucus also collects in the pancreas, which keeps digestive enzymes from reaching the small intestine.
Nearly 9 in 10 infants with cystic fibrosis develop EPI within the first year. The rest are at risk for developing EPI during childhood or adulthood.
Another inherited condition, Shwachman-Diamond syndrome , also causes EPI in children. With SDS, the part of the pancreas that makes enzymes doesnt work properly.
Recommended Reading: Lexapro And Probiotics
Preventing Bloating And Weight Gain:
So can this bloat be prevented along with the fluid retention and weight gain that at least 40% of all women suffer monthly? The best ways to attempt to prevent extreme bloating is to limit the outside factors that can add to it. You cannot prevent the increases in hormones but you can eliminate factors that will increase the fluid retention and therefore the bloat.
Some things to consider are:
- Reduce your dietary intake of salt which in itself leads to fluid retention.
- Reduce your dietary intake of sugar, alcohol and caffeine around the middle of your cycle because these items can also be responsible for some additional bloating.
- Drink at least 8-10 eight oz. glasses of water which will lead to reduced bloating. We realize this is counter intuitive but the more water you consume the less bloating you will have.
- Exercise will increase blood circulation if done on a regular basis and will help prevent bloating.
- Avoid rich, fatty and gassy foods. These foods are hard for the body to digest and therefore will add to the sluggishness of the digestive system and add to bloating. Avoid red meat and dont overeat and avoid any unneeded fats such as adding oils when cooking. No fried foods, chips or nuts. Avoid the gassy foods that are mostly in the vegetable family such as broccoli, beans, cabbage, lentils, cauliflower, milk, corn, potatoes, peas, artichokes and wheat bran in order to prevent period bloating and menopausal bloating.
Bloating Before A Period Is A Common Pms Symptom
The week before your period, you may experience breast tenderness and swelling.
Symptoms such as bloating, swollen arms and legs, and bags under the eyes can also appear. Swelling and bloating are common symptoms of premenstrual syndrome that are caused by water retention.
Whether other symptoms of PMS are present or not, water retention is common during this time.
Also Check: Can Uti Cause Bloating
Working With A Doctor
It is important to speak openly and honestly with your physician to express a clear picture of your experiences and symptoms. FGIDs present special challenges when communicating, specifically because of their vague symptoms and sensitive subject matter.
There isnt a diagnostic test for bloating or distension however your doctor may run some tests to rule out underlying problems or associated disorders.
For more information about GI tests and how to prepare for them, see our website www.aboutGIMotility.org or see IFFGD publications #111 or #510.
How Do You Treat Bloating
If you experience bloating that can’t be avoided, there are over-the-counter medications that can help ease discomfort.
- Antacidscontain simethicone, which adhere to bubbles in the stomach so that gas is more easily released.
- Lactaid contains lactase, which can help prevent gas for people with lactose intolerance.
- Pepto-Bismol, which is the brand name for bismuth subsalicylate,may help reduce bloating caused by an upset stomach.
- Beano is a product that contains an enzyme called alpha-galactosidasethat breaks down complex carbohydrates into more digestible sugars. This helps prevent gas.
- Probioticsare “good” bacteria that help maintain the health of the digestive system. They can be found in foods such as yogurt as well as in OTC supplements.
- Movement and massage,like a walk around the block or an abdominal self massage, can help get gasses in the digestive system moving.
Recommended Reading: What Does It Mean If I Have Lactoferrin In My Stool
When Is Period Bloating A Sign Of Something More Serious
Symptoms of bloating should be short-lived, lasting only a few days, Dweck says. They usually resolve with onset of flow. But there are moments when bloating may warrant a trip to a doctor, especially if your symptoms are starting to interfere with your day-to-day activities.
Certain ovarian and gastrointestinal conditions can present with persistent bloating, and this should be evaluated by your doctor, Patrusky explains. And while these issues can be serious, Dweck says it’s best to avoid falling down a Google hole of anxiety, especially if you think your bloating symptoms are a sign of a potentially grave health issues.
Dr. Google will surely scare many readers about bloating and ovarian cancer, she explains. Ovarian cancer is rare, but difficult to diagnose early, and is often associated with vague GI symptoms. She does say, though, that any persistent, worsening or increased severity in bloating warrants a trip to your doctor. This also applies to PMS or menstrual bloating that doesnt resolve cyclically, Dweck says.
today and get 73% off your first 12 issues. And while youre at it, for even more of the Woman’s Day content you want.
How Do You Stop Bloating Before Your Period
To help limit bloating before your period, you can try the following:
- Avoid salty foods.
- Eat potassium-rich foods.
- Try natural diuretics .
- Avoid refined carbohydrates. They can cause an increase in blood sugar levels, which further raises insulin levels and causes the kidneys to retain more sodium.
- Exercise regularly.
Your health care provider can provide further advice on other possible remedies for water retention, such as diuretics.
Also Check: Alka Seltzer Heartburn And Gas Chews Side Effects
How Do You Get Rid Of Lower Belly Pooch Fast
6 Simple Ways to Lose Belly Fat, Based on ScienceAvoid sugar and sugar-sweetened drinks. Foods with added sugars are bad for your health. Eat more protein. Protein may be the most important macronutrient for weight loss. Eat fewer carbohydrates. Eat fiber-rich foods. Exercise regularly. Track your food intake.Nov 25, 2019
Your Beverage Of Choice Is Bubbly
Champagne, soda, and seltzer water might seem like three very different drinks, but the carbonation in a bubbly beverage has the same effect on your stomach. Bubbles expand in your gut and could lead to a slightly bulging belly, says Dr. Sam. Stick to straight water if youre feeling bloated. Check out these other daily habits that reduce belly bloat.
You May Like: Does Almond Milk Cause Bloating
Don’t Miss: Fish Oil Help Constipation
How Do I Debloat My Stomach
What can I drink to reduce bloating? What foods dont cause gas and bloating? If you want to know how to get rid of bloating in a day, then look no further. With this lengthy list of more than 50 tips, tricks, & advice, you can learn how to get rid of a bloated stomach in 24 hours. Every person is different, so your perfect belly bloat detox may be different than someone elses. Youll be surprised to know that there is an answer for how to stop bloating and constipation.
1. Drink Enough Water
One of the most important parts of a belly boat detox is making sure you drink enough water. Keep bottled water on hand and make sure to keep yourself hydrated at all times. Your body will become used to it and stop retaining water as it regulates within your body.
Every health guru vouches for probiotics for a good reason. They are beneficial for your gut bacteria. Eating probiotics regularly will provide bloating relief and help cure uncomfortable gas.
3. Reduce Sodium Consumption
Salt is known to retain water, so when you eat too much salt it will cause your body to retain water a big cause of bloating. Make an effort to eat less salty foods. Not only will your body retain less water, your taste palate will adjust as well.
4. Include Potassium
Potassium is a vitamin well-known for its ability to reduce bloating. This is because it naturally regulates the sodium levels within the body.
5. Eat Fruits with High Water Content
6. Cut Out Artificial Sweeteners
What Are Common Period Symptoms
There are 10 super common signs that your period is about to start. Just because we need something to look forward to .
1. Crampsugh, make sure you have your favorite pillow to hug.2. Breaking outno matter your age, your period can make you feel like a teenager again! Hurrah3. Tender breastsfor some women, you might hardly notice this. Others find even putting a bra on can be painful. 4. Mood swingsever feel like killing someone and you have no idea why? Or perhaps you get emotional when watching Daniel Tiger with your kids. 5. Exhaustionneed a nap three times a day? We totally understand. Your body is working super hard, and you might need to take it easy. 6. Upset stomachgassiness, nausea, diarrhea, constipation. 7. Headaches8. Lower back painthe contractions in your uterus and your abs can often cause your back to contract, too. 9. Trouble sleeping
Also Check: Prenatal Vitamins Black Stool
Can Food Intolerances Be Prevented
Taking a few simple steps can help you prevent the symptoms associated with a food intolerance.
- Learn which foods in which amounts cause you to have symptoms, and limit your intake to amounts you can handle.
- When you dine out, ask your server about how your meal will be prepared. Some meals may contain foods you cannot tolerate, and that may not be evident from the description on the menu.
- Learn to read food labels and check the ingredients for problem foods. Dont forget to check condiments and seasonings. They may contain MSG or another additive that can lead to symptoms.
What Are The Symptoms Of Bloating
Symptoms of bloating include:
- The skin around your stomach may feel stretched and tight
Depending on the cause, bloating may be accompanied by other symptoms as well.
Abdominal bloating will continue until the food in an overfull stomach is digested or accumulated gas is released. This can take hours or days.
Read Also: Peanut Butter Cause Acid Reflux
Is Bloating A Sign Of Period Or Pregnancy
Bloating could be a symptom of either PMS or early pregnancy. Bloating before and during a period is triggered by changes in the levels of estrogen and progesterone. Hormonal changes in early pregnancy also cause a feeling of bloating, similar to common symptoms just before the start of your period. Bloating in early pregnancy makes some people feel more snug than usual in their clothes.
How Does Bloating Feel
Abdominal bloating can feel like your belly is full, or even swollen. It can feel tight, hard to the touch, and can be rather painful. You might also pass wind more than usual, frequently burp, or experience belly gurgles. For some people this will quickly pass and it wont be an issue, while for others, it can interfere with daily life and cause them to avoid social situations. If this is the case for you, you should speak to your GP about it so they can provide possible remedies.
You May Like: Does Xanax Help With Stomach Pain
Get Ready Here It Comes
Knowing when the bloat is about to begin can help you take steps to stop it before it starts or at least keep the pressure and puff to a minimum. In general, you can count on PMS symptoms to start up around 5 days before your period is expected to start and ease up around when your period arrives.
Of course, every womans cycle and pre-period experience are a little different. If you track your symptoms for a few months, chances are youll start to uncover a pattern for when your bloating typically starts up.
Keep a journal or use a period tracker app as long as youre consistent about recording your symptoms, either will get the job done.
Why Do I Get So Bloated During And After My Period
Bloating during the menstrual cycle of a woman is a rather frequent occurrence, but why does it happen?
Bloating typically happens in the premenstrual, follicular or period stages. Period bloating is also known as fluid retention and provides a sensation of fullness around the waist region. It`s really uncomfortable and annoying sometimes.
It isn`t really the same thing as menstrual cramps and isn`t responsible for other menstrual signs like fatigue, headaches, emotional swings or back pain. Bloating isn`t a very serious medical condition, but it`s somehow irritating that each woman wants to stop experiencing it.
During a woman`s menstrual cycle, there`s a big hormonal fluctuation, particularly progesterone and estrogen, and this leads to a retention of fluids, swelling and bloating. Women in fact gain a few pounds of water now because of the estrogen`s ability to cause fluid retention.
Generally, by the 3rd day of the period, the blood, waste and excessive water are flushed from the body and it can be considered that the woman no longer experiences this condition.
However, for those a couple of days, life can become quite uncomfortable for lots of women who deal with bloating and water retention. Bloating increases when the levels of estrogen and falls when the levels fall.
Also Check: What Is Align Probiotic Good For
When To See A Doctor
For most women, period bloating is unpleasant but does not stop them from being able to get on with their day.
However, if period bloating affects a womans daily life, it is a good idea for her to speak to her doctor.
If bloating does not go away after a period, it is also a good idea to talk to a doctor. Bloating can sometimes be a sign of a more serious health condition.