Common Causes Of Dog Diarrhea And When You Should Be Worried
Its not something dog owners usually want to talk about. But it is something all of them will experience at one time or another. Its the big D word: Diarrhea.
For some dogs, diarrhea is a frequent occurrence. For others, its a rare and unnerving experience. No matter where your dog lies on the spectrum, there is always a cause for an upset stomach. And in some cases, there is also a cause for concern.
So how do you identify the culprit thats causing your pups stomach upset? And even more importantly, how do you know when its time to call the vet?
There are many causes of diarrhea in dogs. Knowing what those are and when its serious will help keep your dog safe and healthy.
Well look at the nine most common causes of diarrhea in dogs and then break down the circumstances that might indicate its time to get your pooch some professional help.
How Can I Take Care Of Myself
- Follow your healthcare provider’s treatment. Take all of the antibiotic that your healthcare provider prescribes, even when you feel better. Do not take medicine left over from previous prescriptions.
- Drink more fluids, especially water, to help flush bacteria from your system.
- If you have a fever:
- Take aspirin or acetaminophen to control the fever. Check with your healthcare provider before you give any medicine that contains aspirin or salicylates to a child or teen. This includes medicines like baby aspirin, some cold medicines, and Pepto Bismol. Children and teens who take aspirin are at risk for a serious illness called Reye’s syndrome.
- Keep a daily record of your temperature.
What Are Kidney Stones
Kidney stones are painful accumulations of minerals that form in your kidneys and can cause serious pain. Often smaller stones can pass freely through your urinary tract without symptoms, but larger stones can become stuck in the urinary tract causing severe abdominal or lower back pain and other symptoms.
Recommended Reading: Do Bananas Help With Bloating
Diagnosis Of Feline Bladder Infection:
Urinalysis or a series of urine examination procedures areusuallyrequired, as actual causative agents for cat bladder infection may varycase to case. Research has shown that the pH of urine for an infectedcat appears alkaline and increased urease contents can reveal thatStaphylococcus and the Proteus species of bacteria are the major causesofthe feline bladder infection. Other opportunistic Gram +ive and Gramive bacteria can infect the bladder along with the mentioned species.
Laboratory studies for urine show the presence of RBC and WBC , whilethe presence of puss may indicate the presence of a cat bladderinfection as well, even if nospecie of bacteria is confirmed in the culture. Both qualitative andquantitative culturing of samples is required in this context, toconfirm the diagnosis.
Feline bladder infection should be differentiated from otherdiseases such as cat bladdercalculi and congenital bladder inefficiency
Why Do Bladder And Bowel Incontinence Happen
When the bladder and bowel function normally, nerves tell certain muscles when to tense up and when to relax. Nerves in the spinal cord send messages from the brain to the bladder. Sphincter muscles control the flow of urine. Muscles in the rectum and anus control or release stool. These nerve and muscle processes allow urine and feces to be removed when you want them to.
Read Also: Can Align Probiotic Cause Nausea
Ibs With Diarrhea And Ibs With Constipation Symptoms
Although some people may alternate between having constipation and diarrhea, most people with IBS tend to have either symptoms of chronic diarrhea or chronic constipation and are diagnosed accordingly with either IBS with diarrhea or IBS with constipation 2.
Abdominal pain is the characteristic symptom associated with IBS-D. Those suffering from IBS-D may also experience gas, sudden urges to have a bowel movement and loose stools. Some people with IBS-D have feelings of nausea, frequent urges to have a bowel movement or bothersome feelings that they are unable to completely empty their bowels. Some people may lose control of their bowels and soil themselves when the urge comes on very strongly and suddenly.
Like those with IBS-D, the key symptom among those with IBS-C is abdominal pain and discomfort.
- Although some people may alternate between having constipation and diarrhea, most people with IBS tend to have either symptoms of chronic diarrhea or chronic constipation and are diagnosed accordingly with either IBS with diarrhea or IBS with constipation 2.
- Some people with IBS-D have feelings of nausea, frequent urges to have a bowel movement or bothersome feelings that they are unable to completely empty their bowels.
How Is A Urinary Tract Infection Diagnosed How Do Healthcare Providers Test For A Uti In Toddlers
After interviewing you about your childs history and performing a physical examination, the healthcare provider may order the following tests:
- Urine tests like the leukocyte esterase and a urine culture to test for the presence of bacteria or white blood cells.
- Blood tests looking for infection or kidney function.
- Ultrasound or CT of the kidneys and bladder.
- Voiding cystourethrogram , which evaluates the bladder and urethra to detect vesicoureteral reflux .
You May Like: Magnesium Citrate For Heartburn
How To Treat Abdominal Pain
Some cases of abdominal pain resolve on their own. Staying hydrated, resting, and avoiding foods that can irritate your stomach can help improve your pain. Taking over-the-counter gas medications or antacids can help ease an upset stomach and relieve indigestion.
If home remedies dont work and you have abdominal pain for several days, get in touch with us. Depending on the cause, we may approach treatment in several ways, including:
- Antibiotics for infections
- Medications, such as anti-inflammatories or pain relievers
- Acid reducers for GERD and acid reflux
- Making lifestyle changes, like exercising regularly and eating a healthy diet
Some conditions like Crohns disease or other forms of inflammatory bowel syndrome require special treatment. We can connect you with the right specialist if needed.
Can Chronic Kidney Disease Be Prevented
Chronic kidney disease cannot be prevented in most situations. The patient may be able to protect their kidneys from damage, or slow the progression of the disease by controlling their underlying conditions such as diabetes mellitus and high blood pressure.
- Kidney disease is usually advanced by the time symptoms appear. If a patient is at high risk of developing chronic kidney disease, they should see their doctor as recommended for screening tests.
- If a patient has a chronic condition such as diabetes, high blood pressure, or high cholesterol, they should follow the treatment recommendations of their health care practitioner. The patient should see their health care practitioner regularly for monitoring. Aggressive treatment of these diseases is essential.
- The patient should avoid exposure to drugs especially NSAIDs , chemicals, and other toxic substances as much as possible.
Read Also: How To Get Rid Of Bloating Immediately
What Causes A Urinary Tract Infection In Toddlers
Normal urine is sterile and contains fluids, salts and waste products. An infection occurs when microorganisms cling to the opening of the urethra and begin to multiply. Most infections arise from Escherichia coli bacteria that normally live in the digestive tract.
Different bacteria can cause a urinary tract infection. The seven most common bacteria include the following:
- Escherichia coli , found in about 85% of UTIs in children.
- Pain in the back or side .
What Are The Symptoms Of A Uti In A Baby
A urinary tract infection is a bacterial infection in the urinary tract. UTIs can be dangerous to babies and toddlers, and its important to call your doctor if you suspect your child has one. Common symptoms include crying while urinating, foul-smelling or cloudy urine, unexplained irritability, vomiting and diarrhea.
Read Also: Does Peanut Butter Cause Heartburn
Is There A Diet For Chronic Kidney Disease
Chronic kidney disease is a disease that must be managed in close consultation with a doctor. Self-treatment is not appropriate.
- There are, however, several important dietary rules one can follow to help slow the progression of kidney disease and decrease the likelihood of complications.
- This is a complex process and must be individualized, generally with the help of a health care practitioner and a registered dietitian.
The following are general dietary guidelines:
- Protein restriction: Decreasing protein intake may slow the progression of chronic kidney disease. A dietitian can help one determine the appropriate amount of protein.
- Salt restriction: Limit to 2 to 4grams a day to avoid fluid retention and help control high blood pressure.
- Fluid intake: Excessive water intake does not help prevent kidney disease. In fact, the doctor may recommend restriction of water intake.
- Potassium restriction: This is necessary in advanced kidney disease because the kidneys are unable to remove potassium. High levels of potassium can cause abnormal heart rhythms. Examples of foods high in potassium include bananas, oranges, nuts, avocados, and potatoes.
- Phosphorus restriction: Decreasing phosphorus intake is recommended to protect bones. Eggs, beans, cola drinks, and dairy products are examples of foods high in phosphorus.
Other important measures that a patient can take include:
Also Check: Is Watermelon Good For Dogs With Kidney Disease
Effectiveness Of Home Remedies
There are a number of home remedies that work well for simple cases of diarrhea. Many owners will withhold food for 12 to 24 hours to let their dogs stomach settle down. This can be especially helpful if you know your dog ate trash or something similar.
In addition to fasting, or sometimes in place of, many owners replace their dogs normal food with white rice and boiled chicken. This easy-to-digest meal soothes the stomach and normalizes digestion. Adding canned plain pumpkin to this mix or to your dogs normal food can also be effective.
If these remedies normally work for your dog but arent doing the trick this time, thats a good sign your pup needs to see a vet. Underlying health conditions wont respond to stomach-soothing remedies. Its best to have a full workup done to assure nothing major is causing your dogs sickness.
Don’t Miss: Lettuce Allergy Diarrhea
How Is The Infection Spread
It is difficult to spread a UTI between individuals, as the type of bacteria causing the infection is almost never contagious.
The most common way that a UTI is contracted is through the movement of bacteria from the anus to the urethra, either when wiping after going to the toilet or during sexual intercourse. Taking care during each of these activities can help to prevent the transfer of bacteria, which may then have the opportunity to overgrow.
Vigorous sexual intercourse may also lead to symptoms of UTI or cystitis in women , although there may be no bacteria present.
Causes Of Vomiting And Diarrhea At The Same Time
Vomiting and diarrhea can happen at the same time for a number of reasons. A stomach virus or bacterial gastrointestinal infection is the most likely cause in children. The gastrointestinal tract is part of the digestive system.
These infections can affect adults as well, but there are a number of other reasons why an adult may experience these symptoms simultaneously, such as drinking too much alcohol or being pregnant.
Don’t Miss: Lettuce And Constipation
Treatment Of Kidney Disease In Dogs
Now that you know how to identify kidney disease in dogs, these are the solutions that you want!
The treatment depends of course on the stage your animal is at. Also, we do not treat chronic kidney failure and acute kidney failure in exactly in the same way. In any case, turn to an animal health professional for advice.
In cases of chronic kidney failure, the destruction of the kidneys is progressive, so often the disease is unfortunately diagnosed when the organs are already in a bad state.
However, a dog that receives this diagnosis may still hope to have some good years ahead of him with proper treatment. Unfortunately, unlike humans, dialysis or kidney transplantation is not possible in dogs, but other care is possible and will help reduce the symptoms of the disease or slow down its progression.
Ask your veterinarian for advice on what diet is suitable for YOUR dogs condition.
Some professionals agree that a diet low in protein is important both clinically and biochemically. Proteins are high in phosphorus, which would create a high nitrogen load and could put pressure on the liver and kidneys.
This theory, however, is not supported by all nutritionists and veterinarians. Any changes to your pets diet should therefore be supported by advice from a health professional. In fact, a low protein diet could create a deficiency in amino acids.
Here are some basic tips that you could put into practice:
Recommended Reading: Is Watermelon Bad For Kidneys
Prevention Methods For Women
In addition to the above prevention methods, women can also:
- Avoid contraceptive methods that contain spermicide
- Avoid using a diaphragm as a birth control method
- Avoid the use of feminine products on genital regions, such as deodorant sprays and douches, which have the potential to irritate the urethra
- Receive vaccination against certain E. coli strains
Don’t Miss: Can Align Probiotic Cause Nausea
Intestinal E Coli Infection Symptoms
There are numerous types of E. coli bacteria that can cause food poisoning. While each bring about similar symptoms, there are slight variations.
Enterotoxigenic E. coli This uses hair-like appendages to attach to the intestine and attacks the body with toxins. These bacteria are often the cause of travelers diarrhea. There is no fever associated with this E. coli infection.
Enteroinvasive E. coliThis is a type that invades the cells lining the colon and results in diarrhea with fever, according to a paper published in December 2017 in the journal Frontiers in Microbiology.
Enteropathogenic E. coli This attaches to intestinal cells using a special protein. Its a common culprit of infantile diarrhea in developing countries. This particular type of E. coli infection causes watery and sometimes bloody diarrhea, according to research.
Enteroaggregative E. coli This type lumps onto the cells lining the intestines. Then the toxin causes prolonged diarrhea, particularly in children, research has noted.
Shiga ToxinProducing E. coli STEC is the type most commonly heard about on the news because of the outbreaks it causes. An intestinal infection by STEC which typically lives in cattle and migrates to humans after animal feces contaminate human food results in:
- Diarrhea, which can be severe and bloody
What Causes Kidney Failure
Kidney failure may occur from an acute situation that injures the kidneys or from chronic diseases that gradually cause the kidneys to stop functioning.
In acute renal failure, kidney function is lost rapidly and can occur from a variety of insults to the body. Since most people have two kidneys, both kidneys must be damaged for complete kidney failure to occur. Fortunately, if only one kidney fails or is diseased it can be removed, and the remaining kidney may continue to have normal kidney function. If both patients kidneys are injured or diseased, a donor kidney may be transplanted.
The list of causes of kidney failure is often categorized based on where the injury has occurred.
Prerenal causes causes are due to decreased blood supply to the kidney. Examples of prerenal causes of kidney failure are:
- Hypovolemia due to blood loss
Read Also: How Much Does A Human Kidney Weigh
You May Like: Are Probiotics Good For Colitis
Signs Of A Kidney Infection
What does a kidney infection feel like? According to the NIDDK, the most common kidney infections symptoms are:
But depending on a persons age, they may not experience all of these kidney infection symptoms. Children younger than two may only experience high fever as a sign of kidney infections, the NIDDK says, and people older than 65 might only present with cognitive issues, like confusion, hallucinations, and disorganized speech.
Pregnancy And Urinary Tract Infections
Pregnant women with a UTI that develops into a kidney infection are at higher risk of developing additional complications, which may affect both them and the fetus. Such complications include anemia, premature labor, low birth weight and, in very rare cases, stillbirth.
Fortunately, early medical intervention means that urinary tract infections in pregnant women can usually be treated successfully. If the affected person has a lower urinary tract infection, a course of oral antibiotics is the most common treatment method. If an upper urinary tract infection is suspected, the doctor may recommend administering antibiotics intravenously in hospital instead.
Once the infection has cleared, a doctor may choose to prescribe low-level, prophylactic antibiotics for the remainder of the pregnancy to reduce the risk of a UTI returning.
Pregnancy can increase the likelihood of developing a UTI. This is due to numerous factors, including hormonal changes and the increased weight of the uterus putting pressure on the bladder.
Also Check: Why Does Lettuce Give Me Diarrhea
Swollen Or Puffy Face
Why this happens:
Failing kidneys dont remove extra fluid, which builds up in your body causing swelling in the face.
What patients said:
My sister, her hair started to fall out, she was losing weight, but her face was really puffy, you know, and everything like that, before she found out what was going on with her.
My checks were always puffy and tight. Sometimes they would even hurt.