Allopathic Cure In Ibs:
In allopathy field, IBS has also some cure. Several medications, as well as dugs, are prescribed by the physician in this. Belladonna alkaloid combinations, barbiturate combinations, and Phenobarbital are prescribed for the cure as well.
Dicyclomine is an anticholinergic which is a common drug in IBS. Levosulpiride is an antipsychotic agent which is prescribed in gastro-disorders and in IBS too. Well, all these drugs are prescribed for long-term use.
None of us wants to be bold with drugs and medications a simple natural therapy and all diseases are gone! What can be better than this? Lets move to the world of Ayurveda and see its magic.
Symptoms Of Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Because IBS is a condition related to the intestines, therefore most of the symptoms of this disease are related to the digestive system only. Besides the following list of symptoms here, some other somatic and psychological symptoms might also appear as headaches and body ache. But in most cases- the main concern of the patient is with the following symptoms only.
- Abdominal pain
- Frequent bathroom emergencies
- somatic and psychological symptoms get worse after eating
It is very common for people with treating IBS to experience episodes of both diarrhea and constipation.
Bloating and gas typically subside after passing bowel.
The somatic and psychological symptoms of IBS resolve and come back and are not at all persistent.
There are different symptoms of IBS in males and females. This might sound strange, but a variation of the symptoms in male-female patients is quite evident and research-proven too. Ayurveda treatment for IBS not only helps in recovery from the symptoms but also corrects the main issue so that you can lead a normal life.
The Ayurvedic Approach To Ibs
Introduction and definition
The Ayurvedic history of IBS
Basic causes of IBS (Etiology or Nidana]
- 1.Toxins accumulating in tissue blocking the circulation.
- 2.Poor nutrition, like consumplion of heavy food, overeating, consumption of improper food, consumption of too many fluids or fluids that are too cold.
- 3.Poor digestion as a result the intake of improper food at improper times, or skipping meals
- 4.Imbalance of the nervous system
- 5.Accumulation of physical and mental stress
- 6.Diminished natoral resistance and immunity
- 7.Disruption of natural biological rhythm
Clinical Course and Prognosis
Vata type IBS:Vata-Pitta type of IBS
- 2.Restore healthy balance of bacteria in GI tract.
- 3.Identify and remove food intolerances.
- 4.Mind-body therapy.
- 5.Bring daily routine into life.
- 6.Be aware that IBS is not life threatening health problem.
- 7.Learn not only what the right food is, but also how to prepare and combine food properly.
Don’t Miss: Probiotic Side Effects Nausea
Causes And Symptoms Of Ibs
It is difficult to diagnose the exact cause of IBS. The causes are unknown but some possible reasons can be a sensitive colon or immune system.
IBS is characterized by abdominal pain. We all have stomachaches and trouble on the toilet every once in a while, but for people suffering from IBS, chronic pain and discomfort can affect their every day living.
Symptoms for people with IBS are different for everyone, but some symptoms may include:
- Alternating bouts of diarrhoea and constipation
- Uncontrollable urgent bowel movements
- Difficult to pass or incomplete bowel movement
- Mucus within the stool
Other symptoms, such as a bowel movement relieving ache and suffering, change in how often the stool comes out, and the stool looks different, are some features doctors look for when diagnosing IBS.
Remedies To Cure Ibs Through Ayurveda
- Eat fiber-filled foods. Eat fiber-filled foods like whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and beans.
- Avoid problems creating foods. These may include alcohol, chocolate, caffeinated beverages such as coffee and sodas, medications that contain caffeine, dairy products, and sugar-free sweeteners such as sorbitol or mannitol.
- Eat at regular times. Don’t skip meals, and try to eat about the same time each day to help regulate bowel function.
- Avoid too much use of dairy products.
- Drink plenty of liquids. Try to drink plenty of fluids every day. .
- Exercise regularly. Exercise helps to relieve depression and stress, stimulates normal contractions of your intestines, and can help you feel better about yourself.
Some of the remedies to cure IBS prescribed by Ayurveda are to consume whole grains, vegetables, and fruits and avoid beverages like alcohol, coffee, soda, and dairy products. Drink plenty of water and regular exercise help to reduce the symptoms of IBS.
Read Also: Side Effects Of Sodium Bicarbonate
Success Stories From Real Patients
Are there any success stories from real patients who experienced Ayurveda a success therapy to combat IBS illness?
Management of IBS through Ayurveda a case study..
A 38-year-old lady presented to the ayurvedic clinic complaining of irregular bowel movement , decrease in appetite, heartburns, abdominal pain, gas & flatulence. She also reported mucus in her stool. The lady was subjected to ayurvedic treatment that included Bilwadi Churan 3gm and Takara Kutaj Ghanvati 500mg twice a day with lukewarm water along with Takrarishta 20ml mixed with an equal amount of water BD.
The study concluded that IBS can be effectively managed by Bilwadi Churan, Kutajghan Vati, and Takrarishta. This treatment is safe, cost-effective & can be applied to other similar conditions like Spru, Colitis, Amoebiasis, etc.
A case study reported in AYURVEDIC MANAGEMENT OF GRAHANI : A CASE STUDY..
See: Acupuncture For Nausea & Vomiting Treatment
The Use Of Triphala In Treating Ibs
Triphala has long been a mainstay of Ayurvedic medicine. It is an herbal preparation long thought to promote general and digestive health. But can it help your IBS? Here’s an introduction to Triphala and what research has to offer in terms of its effectiveness for your IBS symptoms.
Also Check: Lemon Water Causes Diarrhea
Herbal Cure For Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- The best form of herbal cure for IBS is Peppermint oil. It relaxes your abdominal cramps and also reduces swelling.
- Slippery elm a herb which benefits in many kinds of disorders. It calms the irritation by coating a lining to the intestinal system. It softens the stool and also relieves constipation.
- Amla fruit is also very beneficial to cure IBS. It heals in overall digestion. You can take Amalki powder 1 teaspoon in empty stomach with water. On a regular basis, eat raw amalki fruit.
- Triphala or Triphala churna can be taken it cures bloating and its laxative property cures abdominal pain.
- Aloe Vera juice can be taken twice a day. It binds your system and cures it naturally.
- Chamomile herb is a very beneficial herb for IBS. You can have it in solid or liquid form. Prepare the herbal tea of chamomile herb.
Practice Yoga For All
Yoga, like Ayurvedic medicine, takes an all-body approach to wellness. The goal of yoga is to help increase strength and flexibility, but a supplementary goal is eliminating stress and reducing physical symptoms of ailments.
Specific yoga positions or postures may be more helpful for eliminating the symptoms of IBS. These include Corpse position and Sun salutations.
You May Like: Causes Of Gerd In Young Adults
Learn How Ayurvedic Medicines Are Best For Ibs
IBS, which is classified under Grahani, befalls because of one or more of dosha inequality and it deteriorates the duodenum. As per Ayurveda, duodenum aids in digestion and also clasps it until it is appropriately digested and then it permits it to be passed via colon where it is defecated. Its unproductive functioning results in either releasing its content earlier or preserve the content for a lengthier period. So, an alternating wobbly bowel and constipation befalls which is the chief symptom IBS. Ayurveda has a very useful solution for countering Irritable Bowel Syndrome and other digestive system related convolutions. IBS is an ailment in which a patient is not having clear bowel movements even after going to the toilet for numerous times. The patient gets fragile and short-tempered. Ayurvedic remedies are very handy in managing the symptoms of IBS.
Ayurvedic Vs Conventional Nutritional Therapy Including Low
- 1Institute of Social Medicine, Epidemiology and Health Economics, Charité Universitätsmedizin Berlin, Corporate Member of Freie Universität Berlin and Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, Berlin, Germany
- 2Department of Internal and Integrative Medicine, Immanuel Hospital Berlin, Berlin, Germany
- 3Digital Health Center, Hasso Plattner Institute, University of Potsdam, Potsdam, Germany
- 4Department of Religious Studies, Goethe-University, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
- 5Department of Internal and Integrative Medicine, University of Duisburg-Essen, Evang. Kliniken Essen-Mitte, Essen, Germany
- 6Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, University Bremen, Bremen, Germany
- 7College of Medicine, London, United Kingdom
- 8Australian Research Centre in Complementary and Integrative Medicine, Faculty of Health, University of Technology, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Aims: To compare the effects of Ayurvedic and conventional nutritional therapy in patients with irritable bowel syndrome .
Patients with IBS seem to benefit significantly from Ayurvedic or conventional nutritional therapy. The results warrant further studies with longer-term follow-ups and larger sample sizes.
Clinical Trial Registration:, identifier: NCT03019861.
Don’t Miss: Heartburn Definition
Irritable Bowel Syndrome: 5 Incredible Ayurvedic Herbs To Relieve Ibs
Our day to day hectic lifestyle, stress, physical inactivity and various hormonal changes cause some serious negative effects on our health, IBS or Irritable bowel syndrome is one of them. This severe inflammatory condition is often characterized by persistent abdominal pain, intestinal spasms, diarrhea, constipation, bloating, flatulence and indigestion. Although, it doesnt directly affect our life expectancy, yet continuous pain reduces ones productivity causing depression, poor resistance, weakness, and reduced social interaction. Also Read: Do I Have Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
Ancient ayurvedic scriptures of Susruta Samhita and Charak Samhita describes Irritable bowel syndrome as Grahani, which is a mix of belly discomfort and trouble with normal bowel functioning. Our digestive system also known as agni has several functions including digestion, absorption of nutrients and assimilation of food particles. A malfunction of agni can also lead to Grahani symptoms. According to Ayurveda, Irritable bowel syndrome or Grahani is mostly caused due to unhealthy dietary choices, excessive intake of food particles which are difficult to digest, intake of foods that cause allergy, intake of foods low on nutrients, overeating, eating at irregular intervals, and other physical and mental factors like emotional problems, stress etc. Very often Grahani can also occur due to excessive consumption of spicy junk food or acidic food.
How To Cure Ibs Through Ayurvedic Medicine
Summary: IBS is a disease caused in the gastrointestinal tract owing to poor digestion. Irregular sleep patterns, shift duties, lack of a balanced diet, and stress often result in improper digestion and make you susceptible to digestive disorders like IBS. Ayurvedic treatment for IBS takes care of your irregularities by simple changes in daily routines, exercise, and diet.
In Ayurveda, Jathar Agni present in the stomach plays the key role in bio-transformation. Its main site is Grahani, which is correlated to the small intestine. Both are dependent on each other for proper digestion and absorption of food. Due to various irregular and imbalanced habits, mandagni, a weak digestive fire leads to improper digestion and Ama Dosha, the growth of endotoxins which further causes digestive disorders like IBS in the body.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome or Grahani Roga is a syndrome where the bowel pattern suffers frequent alteration either in the liquid or solid form. It may lead to diarrhoea and nervous weakness. IBS cure in Ayurveda gives importance to proper digestion through stress relief, light exercise, and intake of natural herbs.
You May Like: Fish Oil Cause Constipation
Different Types Of Gragani
Ayurveda speaks of 4 different types of Grahani based on the Dosha involved. They are Vataja Grahani, Pittaja Grahani, Kaphaja Grahani, Tridoshaja Grahani.
This type of IBS/Grahani, Pitta Dosha is involved and out of balance.Symptoms
- Dry skin, hair, nails, a dry mouth or throat.
- Constipation or constipation alternating with diarrhea.
- Abdominal distension, bloating, flatulence, and excess wind.
- Feeling cold most of the time.
- A history of back or lower abdominal pain.
- Loss of weight, loss of sleep, anxiety, nervousness.
This type of IBS/Grahani, Pitta Dosha is involved and out of balance.Symptoms
- Heat symptoms, sweating, fever, feeling hot.
- Heartburns, belching, sour eructation.
- Excessive thirst, irritability, and a history of loss of temper.
- Diarrhea, loose liquid stools.
This type of IBS/Grahani, Kapha Dosha is involved and out of balance.Symptoms
- Nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite.
- A running nose, expectoration.
- The heaviness of the body, lethargy, loss of movement.
- Stools are slimy and full of mucus.
It occurs by the combination of factors of the above three types.Symptoms
- Gurgling sounds in the abdomen.
- Passing of stools with mild pain.
- Pain in the lumbar region.
Vataja Grahani, Pittaja Grahani, Kaphaja Grahani, and Tridoshaja Grahani are four types of Grahani that arises due to the imbalance of Tridosha such as Vata,Pitta and Kapha.
Ways To Treat Symptoms Of Ibs
Irritable bowel syndrome is different for every person who suffers from it and the treatment can be tough.
Abdominal pain, diarrhoea, or constipation are tolerable once in a while with someone suffering from IBS, but not when they continue non-stop over long periods of time. Although IBS is defined by long-term recurring symptoms of your GI tract, it is not impossible to treat it!
Irritable bowel syndrome is a common disorder that presents itself with a multitude of symptoms.
Learn about some of the efficient IBS treatment methods you can use below!
Also Check: Gas And Diarrhea During Pregnancy
How To Treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome In 5 Ways
Ayurveda treatment for IBS focuses on body energies, restoring colon health and the function of the digestive system. It does so by eliminating the body of accumulated toxins.
Stress is a major cause of symptoms for IBS hence Ayurveda focuses on herbal treatments and lifestyle choices to bring nourishment to the mind and body.
Ayurveda offers many different ways to cope with symptoms of IBS. Below are 5 ways to treat IBS according to Ayurveda.
Ayurvedic Management Of Ibs
The holistic system of Ayurveda helps mitigate the adverse symptoms associated with irritable bowel syndrome in a natural way. Some of the therapies that can help manage IBS include:
This process mainly comprises of regulating digestive fire and eliminating ama from the gastrointestinal tract.
This process corrects and balances out the Vata dosha.
This therapy relaxes and corrects the underlying issues that worsen IBS.
Shodhan is a process of detoxification of the whole system. It also helps in converting any harmful drug into beneficial elements.
This process mainly revitalizes the body by correcting imbalances and neutralizing impurities that settle after detoxification. It is a healing treatment in Ayurveda, which aims at rejuvenating and restoring the balance of the body after the process of detoxification.
Don’t Miss: Can Omeprazole Cause Chest Pain
Simple Ayurvedic Treatment For Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Treating Irritable Bowel Syndrome with Ayurveda A Case-Study
Irritable Bowel Syndrome is a common worry for many in the present day. Strenuous lifestyle and choice of unhealthy food has resulted in a sharp rise in the stats of IBS.
IBS is painful, uncomfortable and embrassing.
However, its not life-threatening!
But it can impact the quality of your life and hence it must be treated properly.
Most modern medicines focus on soothing the symptoms. This aids in bringing temporary relief. But the problem keeps resurfacing every now and then.
Thats why patients suffering from IBS often turn to Ayurveda.
In Ayurveda, the best treatment for IBS is not medicines or pills. Like most other digestive troubles, the cure to IBS is very simple. A small change is all it takes to cure IBS permanently.
Eat the right food, in the right way, at the right time is the key!
Ayurveda recommends mindful eating and eating natural. Simple vegetarian foods. Warm freshly cooked foods. Non spicy meals. Boiled foods. These are some of the simple Ayurvedic tips for correcting the most complicated stomach troubles.
Also Read: Mindful eating by Osho
Irritable Bowel Syndrome A clinical perspective
Deepak is a 27-year-old second generation entrepreneur. He suffered from IBS for about 7 years. A strenuous routine, haphazard diet and constant stress wrecked havoc on the gut.
IBS became a cause of mental distress.
Also Read: 7 Easy Ayurvedic Home Remedies for Acidity
How Effective Is Ayurvedic Medicine To Cure Ibs
Ayurveda, an olden system of medical system, believes that Irritable bowel syndrome is instigated chiefly because of amassed toxins owing to inappropriate digestion. Stress-filled life also secondarily contributes to IBS. It emphasizes that it can be cured by a little alterations in the diet, lifestyle, yogic practice accompanied by the consumption of ayurvedic medications which are in the form of herbal formulations. If you ask is Ayurvedic medicine effective for IBS, the answer is yes. They are the nutritious supplements which aid to resolve inequity of doshas. But refer an ayurvedic doctor as each individual body is distinctive. Herbs help chiefly in strengthening the digestive procedure and flush away the contaminants and they have more anti-oxidant activity.
Recommended Reading: Does Bananas Give You Gas
Irritable Bowel Syndrome Best Cured By Ibs Medicine In Ayurveda
An irritable bowel can massively curb how well you function in a day and when then the problem becomes persistent, it hampers your well being altogether. Even after going through several rounds in the toilet, sometimes your bowels are just not satisfactorily clear. This is called the irritable bowel syndrome, shortened to IBS. Natural remedies for IBS are extremely effective in eliminating all kinds of uneasiness and problems you might encounter as a result of the syndrome.
Mental Aspects To Ibs
Usually IBS is related with psychaitric aspects. A patient with IBS usually suffers from anxiety or depression. In such a case, along with efforts to restore digestive health with the above said remedies and medicines, treatment to depression /anxiety should also be given.Hence treatments likePranayama Lifestyle adjustments such as sleeping and waking up at regular intervals, moderate exercise, Yoga, stress management techniques are very useful.
Health indeed is the real wealth. When you are in the pink of health, in stead of wasting the gift with alcohol, smoking, irregular sleep and diet habits, inculcate discipline in your routine with right food choices, Yoga, Pranayama etc. These will help you to keep diseases like IBS at bay.Article by Dr MS Krishnamurthy and Dr Hebbar
Don’t Miss: Vitamins That Cause Diarrhea