When To See A Doctor
A person should speak to a doctor about unexplained abdominal pain, digestive symptoms, or excessive or chronic gas.
Anyone who thinks that they or someone else may have appendicitis or associated complications should seek emergency medical care immediately.
To diagnose appendicitis, a doctor will perform a physical exam. They may also ask questions about the persons symptoms and medical history.
They may also use various diagnostic tools, including:
- Blood tests: These tests can check for dehydration, fluid or electrolyte imbalances, or signs of infection, such as high white blood cell counts.
- Ultrasounds, X-rays, or MRI scans: These tests allow the doctor to see the persons abdominal organs and structures.
Most people with appendicitis require surgery, or appendectomy, to remove the appendix and repair any surrounding tissue or organ damage.
Prompt surgery reduces the risk of appendix rupture and other complications.
A surgeon will usually perform appendectomy using one of two procedures: open surgery or laparoscopic surgery. The sections below will discuss these, plus some other options, in more detail.
What Should I Do If I Am Constipated
Take these steps:
- Drink two to four extra glasses of water a day, unless your doctor told you to limit fluids for another reason.
- Try warm liquids, especially in the morning.
- Add fruits and vegetables to your diet.
- Eat prunes and bran cereal.
- Exercise most days of the week. When you move your body, the muscles in your intestines are more active, too.
- Donât ignore the urge to poop.
You can try taking a laxative, too. There are several types of laxatives, and you can buy many of them over the counter. Each of them works in a different way to ease constipation. Ask your doctor or pharmacist which kind might work for you and how long you should take it.
Pregnancy & Postpartum Pelvic Pain
Postpartum pelvic pain is very common. During childbirth, your ligaments and joints become loose as your body is adapting to your childs weight, abdominal separation, and increased heaviness in your pelvic floor. It is common to experience pain in your pelvic girdle, hips, and joints as a result. Light recovery exercises and movement can also cause minimal pain as you begin strengthening your pelvic floor muscles.
You May Like: Colostrum Leaky Gut Dosage
What Are The Symptoms Of Constipation
Symptoms of constipation include:
- You have fewer than three bowel movements a week.
- Your stools are dry, hard and/or lumpy.
- Your stools are difficult or painful to pass.
- You have a stomach ache or cramps.
- You feel bloated and nauseous.
- You feel that you havent completely emptied your bowels after a movement.
Sudden Stomach Cramps With Diarrhoea
If your stomach cramps have started recently and you also have diarrhoea, the cause may be a tummy bug . This means you have a viral or bacterial infection of the stomach and bowel, which should get better without treatment after a few days.
It can last for up to 14 days, and this would not require you to see your GP unless you have any of the following features:
- blood in the stool
- recent hospital treatment or antibiotic treatment
- persistent vomiting
- painless, watery, high-volume diarrhoea increased risk of dehydration
- night time symptoms disturbing your sleep
Gastroenteritis may be caused by coming into close contact with someone who’s infected, or by eating contaminated food .
Long-term or recurring abdominal pain
See your GP if you or your child have persistent or repeated abdominal pain. The cause is often not serious and can be managed.
Possible causes in adults include:
Possible causes in children include:
Don’t Miss: Does Xanax Help Ibs
Lack Of Physical Activity
A sedentary lifestyle may lead to abdominal pain and constipation. Regular physical activity reduces the amount of time it takes food to move through the gut.
Exercise also increases heart rate and the contraction of muscles throughout the body, including those in the intestines. When intestinal muscles contract, they help push stool along.
A on adolescents from Hong Kong suggests that there is a dose-response relationship between physical activity and constipation, with symptoms improving as a person does more exercise.
How Many Types Of Pancreatitis Are There
The types of pancreatitis are chronic pancreatitis and acute pancreatitis. Those who suffer from acute or chronic pancreatitis may feel the pain differently.
Symptoms of acute pancreatitis:
- A. Sudden onset of crushing lower abdominal pain that lasts for several minutes.
- B. Pain radiating to the back near the left shoulder blade, pain may also radiate between the shoulder blades.
- C. Fever and restlessness to go to the toilet, nausea, vomiting, constipation, or diarrhea.
- D. Sometimes there is jaundice .
The person may become very tired because their white blood cells are low. The person may feel feverish because their immune system is involved in the inflammatory process of acute pancreatitis.
Insulin and digestive fluids are produced by the pancreas, which is in the upper abdomen. Acute pancreatitis usually doesn’t affect the pancreas that makes hormones, especially insulin.
Symptoms of Chronic Pancreatitis:
Read Also: Lexapro And Probiotics
How To Prevent Constipation
- Make sure your child has plenty to drink offer breastfed babies who are not eating solids yet plenty of breastfeeds. Formula-fed babies can have extra drinks of water between their formula feeds. See more advice on drinks for babies and toddlers.
- Give your child a variety of foods, including plenty of fruit and vegetables, which are a good source of fibre. See what to feed young children.
- Encourage your child to be physically active. For more information, read the physical activity guidelines for children aged under 5 years.
- Get your child into a routine of regularly sitting on the potty or toilet, after meals or before bed, and praise them whether or not they poo. This is particularly important for potty-trained boys, who may forget about pooing once they are weeing standing up.
- Make sure your child can rest their feet flat on the floor or a step when they’re using the potty or toilet, to get them in a good position for pooing. ERIC, The Children’s Bowel & Bladder Charity’s leaflet, Children’s Bowel Problems shows this position.
- Ask if they feel worried about using the potty or toilet some children do not want to poo in certain situations, such as at nursery or school.
- Stay calm and reassuring, so that your child does not see going to the toilet as a stressful situation you want your child to see pooing as a normal part of life, not something to be ashamed of.
What Lab Tests And Other Medical Tests May Be Done To Find The Cause Of My Constipation
Your doctor can order no tests or many types of tests and procedures. The decision of which ones your doctor might order for you depends on your symptoms, medical history, and overall health.
Colonoscopy: A colonoscopy or sigmoidoscopy an internal view of your colon with a scope may be performed. During this procedure, a small sample of tissue may be taken to test for cancer or other problems and any found polyps will be removed.
Colorectal transit studies: These tests involve consuming a small dose of a radioactive substance, either in pill form or in a meal, and then tracking both the amount of time and how the substance moves through your intestines.
Other bowel function tests: Your doctor may order tests that check how well your anus and rectum hold and release stool. These tests include a certain type of x-ray , done to rule out causes of outlet dysfunction constipation, and the insertion of a small balloon into the rectum .
Also Check: Fish Oil Make You Poop
What Is Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Irritable bowel syndrome is a common intestinal disorder that affects the colon . It can cause cramps, gas, bloating, diarrhea, and constipation. It’s sometimes called a “nervous stomach” or “spastic colon.”
Many people have IBS. While it can be uncomfortable and embarrassing, IBS doesn’t cause serious health problems.
Doctors can help teens manage IBS symptoms with changes in diet and lifestyle. Sometimes they prescribe medicines to help relieve symptoms.
Symptoms Of Faecal Impaction
The symptoms of impaction are similar to the symptoms of constipation. But other more serious symptoms can occur. These include:
- back pain due to the mass of poo pressing on the nerves in your lower back
- a swollen tummy
- high or low blood pressure
- a fast heart rate
- explosive diarrhoea or diarrhoea that you have no control over
- feeling and being sick
Don’t Miss: Eating Bad Lettuce Symptoms
How Do You Pass A Big Hard Stool
Big, difficult-to-pass stools can be treated by making changes to ones daily routine, such as:
When Is It Time To See A Doctor About Constipation
Many people get spooked if they can’t go to the bathroom for a few days, but it’s not a medical emergency, says Robynne Chutkan, M.D., a gastroenterologist in Chevy Chase, Maryland, and author of Gutbliss: A 10-Day Plan to Ban Bloat, Flush Toxins, and Dump Your Digestive Baggage.
However, if it’s been a week since your last bowel movementand you’ve tried at-home treatments to no availthat’s a good time to call your doc to schedule an in-office visit, says Chutkan,
Other than how frequentlyer, how infrequentlyyou’re on the toilet, more serious symptoms you should look out for include: changes in stool texture, blood in stool, hemorrhoids, weight loss, decreased appetite, or nausea and vomiting.
In those cases, a doctor’s number-one concern about your number-twos is colorectal cancer. So theyll want to rule it out before figuring out any other causes of constipation.
In rare cases, your constipation could also be a form of digestive obstruction, where there is an actual blockage in your system, says Latorre. Patients will usually look very sick with nausea, vomiting, abdominal distention, and pain. They key difference is that they are also unable to pass gas, she explains. If you’re experiencing any of those symptoms, get to a doctor ASAP.
Also Check: Bloating And Dizziness
How Do I Know If I Have Hemorrhoids Or Cancer
A clear rectal exam and a medical history are normally enough for a doctor to diagnose hemorrhoids. They may suggest a biopsy to monitor for anal cancer if they find an irregular growth that isnt a hemorrhoid. Colon cancer is more difficult to diagnose.
What Problems Can Constipation Cause
Discomfort Constipation can be really uncomfortable. This discomfort can interrupt normal activities, make you feel not quite yourself, and add stress to your day. Dulcolax® puts you comfortably in control with a variety of constipation-relief products.
HemorrhoidsExcessive straining can cause hemorrhoids, which are swollen veins in your anus or lower rectum. When you have a bowel movement, you might notice a small amount of blood when you wipe . Hemorrhoids can occur with or without pain. If you have questions or think you might be experiencing symptoms consistent with hemorrhoids, consult your doctor.
Dont wait to seek help if your constipation symptoms persist.
QUICK SYMPTOM CHECKER
Read Also: Antacid Gas Relief
Constipation Symptoms And Signs
You are likely be constipated if you are experiencing any of the following:
- Fewer bowel movements than normal
- Pain and straining when passing stools
- Stomach pain
- Lack of exercise
- Some medicines, especially pain killers
- Some people with neurological problems such as Parkinsons disease or Multiple Sclerosis are prone to constipation
- Surgery around the anus can sometimes be a cause of constipation mainly due to pain when emptying the bowel afterwards
- Conditions such as Irritable Bowel Syndrome , Colitis and Crohns Disease
- Ignoring the urge to open the bowels
- There is a strong connection between emotional feelings and how the gut works. Feeling upset can make your bowel slow down or speed up.
What Does The Pain Of Pancreatitis Feel Like :
Many people are not aware of the pain associated with pancreatitis. For some, it may be mild and only cause occasional discomfort in the upper abdomen.
Others experience constant severe pain that can range from a dull ache to an intense burning sensation in the stomach area. Physicians might not diagnose these symptoms for days or weeks.
The severity of pancreatitis is determined by how inflamed your pancreas becomes when you have this condition. During the course of treatment, mild cases of pancreatitis can be managed, but severe pancreatitis cases can result in life-threatening complications.
Also Check: Tramadol Constipate You
Home Remedies And Lifestyle Changes
The following tips may help to relieve or prevent constipation and other bowel problems:
- eating more fiber-rich foods, such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and legumes
- drinking plenty of water to stay hydrated
- exercising regularly
- taking probiotic supplements to encourage a healthy balance of bacteria in the gut
- not postponing bowel movements once the urge arises
- not rushing a bowel movement and making sure all of the stool passes from the body
- doing pelvic floor exercises to help bowel movements and prevent incontinence
Can Constipation Cause Pain
Sometimes constipation is just plain frustrating. Other times, it can be painful, particularly if youre having to strain. So, where does constipation hurt?
Stomachache Constipation can be accompanied by gas and bloating, so your belly might be the focus of your discomfort. Drinking lots of water can actually help lessen bloating and hydrate stools, making them easier to pass.
Cramping You might also feel cramping in your bowels. It can be uncomfortable as hard or dry stools slowly make their way through your colon.
Back Pain Back pain might be caused by a piece of a hard or dry stool that gets stuck in the colon or rectum, adding pressure that can radiate to your lower back. This feels unpleasant, to say the least. Get fast relief with a variety of solutions, such as Dulcolax® Soft Chews, Dulcolax® Liquid Laxative and Dulcolax® Suppositories.
Also Check: Probiotic Align
Constipation Can Be A Sign Of Pre
While it is common to have the constipation-like feeling, lower abdominal cramps, and a dull backache after the 37th week of your pregnancy, it is a cause of concern if these symptoms show up before you in this time frame. This could be an indication of pre-term labor.
If the pain is accompanied by bleeding, pelvic pressure, watery fluid leaking from the vagina, or increased vaginal discharge, it is important to contact your physician as soon as possible. This will help in avoiding any pregnancy complications.
The good news is that pre-term labor may not always result in the birth of a premature baby. Today, doctors can delay or stop the labor through different treatments, enabling the baby to stay inside the womb for longer. These treatments help the uterus to relax and give the baby time to develop.
Further Help For Constipation
You will find further information about causes and how its diagnosed on our Constipation information sheet.
If you are concerned about your problem and it is starting to affect your day to day life make an appointment to see your doctor, continence nurse or specialist physiotherapist. A continence nurse and specialist physiotherapist are healthcare professionals who specialise in bladder and bowel problems.
Don’t Miss: Name Four Drugs Having Harmful Effects On Fetus
Can Constipation Cause Pain Near Liver
4.7/5LIVERconstipationmore about it
Most people feel it as a dull, throbbing sensation in the upper right abdomen. Liver pain can also feel like a stabbing sensation that takes your breath away. Sometimes this pain is accompanied by swelling, and occasionally people feel radiating liver pain in their back or in their right shoulder blade.
Secondly, where do you get pain from the liver? Liver pain is felt in the upper right area of the abdomen, just below the ribs. Usually, it is a dull, vague pain though it can sometimes be quite severe and may cause a backache. Sometimes people perceive it as pain in the right shoulder.
Moreover, what does constipation pain feel like?
These can include slow-moving stool, hard stools, or experiencing a problem with the muscles and nerves needed to pass a bowel movement. As a result, constipation can feellike many symptoms. cramping of the bowels. feeling like stool remains in the rectum but cannot pass.
Can constipation cause severe pain?
Constipation and intense, chronic abdominal painIf you’re constipated, experiencing some abdominal pain is common. Often, it’s just the result of needing to have a bowel movement, or a buildup of gas.
What are the symptoms of an enlarged liver?
But if a medical condition is causing your enlarged liver, you may experience serious symptoms such as: