How To Use Imodium Liquid
See also Warning section.
If you are using the over-the-counter product to self-treat, read all the directions on the product package before taking this medication. If your doctor has prescribed this medication, follow your doctor’s directions and the directions on your prescription label.
Take this medication by mouth, usually after each loose stool, or as directed by your doctor. The dosage is based on your condition and response to treatment. In children, dosage is also based on age and weight. Adults should not use more than 8 milligrams in 24 hours if self-treating, or 16 milligrams in 24 hours if under a doctor’s direction.
If you are taking the chewable tablet, take this medication on an empty stomach. The chewable tablets should be chewed thoroughly before swallowing.
If you are using the rapidly dissolving tablets, dry your hands before opening the blister pack to carefully remove a tablet. Do not push the tablet through the blister pack. Place the tablet on the tongue, allow it to dissolve completely, then swallow it with saliva. Do not crush, split, or break the tablet before taking it. Do not remove the tablet from the blister pack until just before taking. No water is needed to take this medication.
If you are taking this medication under your doctor’s direction for ongoing diarrhea, tell your doctor if your diarrhea continues after 10 days of treatment.
What Are The Possible Causes Of Diarrhea
A few other causes of diarrhea are
- Bacterial diarrhea caused by E coli, Campylobacter, V Cholerae, Shigella, Salmonellaor Staphylococcus aureus.
- Parasites, such as Giardia lamblia, Cryptosporidium parvum and Cestoda
- Intestinal disorders or diseases
Gulp Down A Sports Drink
Most people think of Gatorade as a sports beverage, as it replenishes electrolytes after a workout, helping restore hydration. It works the same way when you have diarrhea. If the volume and frequency of watery stool is significant, steps must be taken to avoid dehydration, Dr. Masoud explains. The most important thing to remember is that with fluid losses also come electrolyte depletion.
Read Also: Can Align Probiotic Cause Nausea
Natural Treatment For Chronic Diarrhea
Using the following Natural Treatment for Chronic Diarrhea safely and naturally stops your chronic diarrhea for good. It is not a quick fix but a permanent one. You need to detoxify your colon to get rid of the parasites that are causing havoc in your gut and colon. Then you need to restore a healthy gut bacteria so it can properly digest and get the benefit of the nutrition you are eating and drinking.
You will notice you by using the natural treatment for chronic diarrhea relief will cause you to safely lose weight and gain energy as you now absorb your nutrition instead of feed parasites or flush it down the toilet! Esdifan with natural zeolite powder is made to stop chronic diarrhea, so that would be be the fastest way to do it. You will want to prevent it by developing a healthy gut long-term.
Doing a Natural Colon Cleanse with oxygen, enzymes, detoxifiers and probiotics successfully rebuilds and repopulates your gut, digestive tract and colon. It also prevents one of the most lethal types of cancers colon cancer. While you cleanse the colon, you will also want to get rid of the viruses and other pathogens that are causing the diarrhea in the first place. You first need to detox your intestines, colon and GI tract, then rebuild healthy gut bacteria and flora, so it can also rebuild your immune system and strengthen it.
How Can I Feel Better
Your rectal area may become sore because of all the bowel movements that diarrhea brings. You may have itching, burning, or pain when you go to the bathroom.
For relief, take a warm bath. Afterward, pat the area dry with a clean, soft towel. You may also try using a hemorrhoid cream or petroleum jelly on the affected area.
Recommended Reading: Can Prenatal Vitamins Cause Diarrhea
Ways To Stop Chronic Diarrhea
When your digestive system does not function properly, you can have frequent watery stools four to five times in a day. The watery stool is the sign of diarrhea if it continues more than fifteen days then it is chronic diarrhea. You can have diarrhea due to viral infections, intestinal diseases, bacterial infections, and food intolerance.
Diarrhea can be accompanied by bloating, abdominal pain, nausea. If you do not take it seriously then it can result in dehydration that is always harmful and life threatening. Hence, it is important to stop the chronic watery diarrhea before it becomes more complicated and risky. If you are suffering from diarrhea then consider the following ten home remedies to stop chronic diarrhea fast.
Diarrhea Caused By A Bacteria Called Vibrio
The Vibrio genus of bacteria causes nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea that can be very serious. Vibrio parahaemolyticus and Vibrio vulnificus are two of the species that cause this illness, which is also called vibriosis.
The primary risk factor is eating raw or undercooked seafood, especially oysters from any coastal waters and from the Gulf of Mexico in particular. People with weakened immune systems or liver disease are especially vulnerable to this infection.
Symptoms include fever, vomiting, and diarrhea, sometimes with mental confusion. These symptoms in a person who has recently eaten raw seafood, or has been swimming in ocean or bay water, are considered a medical emergency. Take the patient to the emergency room or call 9-1-1.
Some types of Vibrio-caused illness can worsen very quickly and lead to dehydration and septicemia, which can be life-threatening.
Diagnosis is made through patient history, physical examination, and lab tests on blood, urine, and stool samples.
Treatment will usually involve hospitalization for intravenous fluids, antibiotics, and supportive care.
Top Symptoms: diarrhea, nausea, stomach bloating, headache, abdominal cramps
Symptoms that always occur with diarrhea caused by a bacteria called vibrio: diarrhea
You May Like: Does Iceberg Lettuce Cause Gas
When The Fast Is Over Only Give Your Dog A Bland Diet Full Of Flavorless Food
When reintroducing food into your dogs life, its imperative that you stick to a bland diet. When you feed your dog bland foods, you ensure that there arent any irritants entering your pets system. Even the slightest bit of flavor or additive can upset your dogs stomach all over again, so a bland diet is the way to go.
One example of the perfect food is white rice. While it still has a slight hint of flavor, white rice is very easy on the stomach. Additionally, white rice is easier to digest so your dog’s digestive system will break down white rice with a lot more ease than it would take to digest something more complex.
That’s the major takeaway about a diet of white riceit’s very simple, and simple is key when helping your dog recover from a case of diarrhea. White rice on its own might be a bit of a bore for your dog, so feel free to combine white rice with something like plain chicken. The protein will help your dog build up any muscles that were weakened by the diarrhea situation as well.
What Is Lactose Intolerance
What is Lactose intolerance? Being Lactose Intolerant affects up to 50 million people in the US alone. People who have ancestors who came from origins of African, Hispanic, Asian, Indian or Native American heritage are usually more prone to develop lactose intolerance. Most likely because they havent been exposed to cows milk as much as people who have been exposed to it for centuries. And the genes needed to process lactose is not present in their bodies. You can drink lactose free milk or take some enzymes which give your body the ability to now break down the lactose in milk and milk products.
Also the milk and milk products in the U.S. are normally filled with an excess of pus cells from sick cows that are under severe stress from tiny confinement cells.So they are unhealthy with stress hormones in all their bodies. They also add bovine growth hormones and antibiotics that make them and you sick! It is a major food allergy. If you choose to use milk products, be sure to choose natural grass fed, pasture raised cows. This is not only best for your health, but for the animals , then environment and for ethical reasons as well. Its always a lot less stressful to be a part of the solution rather than be part of the problem.
Also Check: What Does It Mean When You Keep Having Heartburn
List Of Natural And Home Remedies For Adults And Children For Diarrhea
Treatments for Adults
- Adults should drink plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration.
- Replenishing water loss is important. Avoid milk as it can make diarrhea worse. Sports beverages can be beneficial because they replenish electrolytes in addition to providing hydration.
- If the patient is able to eat, avoid greasy or fatty foods. Adults, infants, toddlers, and children should be encouraged to follow the “BRAT” diet . The BRAT diet is a combination of foods to eat to treat diarrhea. If diarrhea is accompanied by nausea, have the person suck on ice chips until the nausea stops. After the diarrhea subsides, avoid alcoholic beverages and spicy foods for two additional days.
- Individuals may be able to continue their usual activities if they are mildly ill with diarrhea however, strenuous exercise should be avoided because exercise increases the risk of dehydration.
- If you are pregnant women and have diarrhea make sure to rehydrate to avoid dehydration, and consult your doctor.
Treatments for Toddlers and Children
Are herbs safe to take for diarrhea?
What Other Symptoms Might I Have With Diarrhea
Other possible symptoms of diarrhea include
- Cramps or pain in the abdomen
- An urgent need to use the bathroom
- Loss of bowel control
If a virus or bacteria is the cause of your diarrhea, you may also have a fever, chills, and bloody stools.
Diarrhea can cause dehydration, which means that your body does not have enough fluid to work properly. Dehydration can be serious, especially for children, older adults, and people with weakened immune systems.
Also Check: What Does It Mean When You Keep Having Heartburn
What Do I Do If My Baby Or Young Child Has Diarrhea
If your child has severe diarrhea, call your healthcare provider. Young children are at a higher risk of dehydration than adults. You also cant treat a childs diarrhea the same way you would an adult case. Over-the-counter medications can be dangerous in young children and all treatments of diarrhea in children should be guided by their healthcare provider. Its important to keep your child hydrated. Your provider will help you determine the best way to do this, but options often include:
- Breast milk.
- Electrolyte drinks for older children this is not recommended for babies.
The best option to keep your child hydrated might change as the child ages. Always check with your provider before giving your child a new liquid or treatment of any kind.
If you have any questions or concerns about your childs diarrhea, dont hesitate to call your provider.
How Do You Diagnose Diarrhea
For the majority of mild diarrhea cases, you wont need medical attention. These cases are self-limited and get better without medical intervention. The key to mild diarrhea is supportive therapy staying hydrated and eating a bland diet.
More serious cases of diarrhea may require medical attention. In these situations, there are a few diagnostic tests that your provider may order. These tests can include:
- Discussing a detailed family history, as well as physical and medical conditions, your travel history, and any sick contacts you may have.
- Doing a stool test on a collected stool sample to check for blood, bacterial infections, parasite and inflammatory markers.
- Doing a breath test to check for lactose or fructose intolerance, and bacterial overgrowth.
- Doing blood work to rule out medical causes of diarrhea such as a thyroid disorder, celiac sprue and pancreatic disorders.
- Doing endoscopic evaluations of your upper and lower digestive tract to rule out organic abnormalities .
Don’t Miss: Can Ibs Cause Dry Mouth
What To Do About Fluids When You Have Diarrhea
Do drink plenty of fluid. A good rule of thumb is to drink at least one cup of liquid every time you have a loose bowel movement. Water, fruit juices, caffeine-free soda, and salty broths are some good choices. According to the Cleveland Clinic, salt helps slow down the fluid loss, and sugar will help your body absorb the salt.
Dont consume beverages at extreme temperatures. Consume all liquids at room temperature, or slightly warmed, advises Dr. Ganjhu. Anything too hot or too cold can cause nausea.
Do drink a tea with chamomile. There is some research to suggest that products containing certain combinations of herbs, including chamomile, may help an upset stomach. A study published in the journal Molecular Medicine Reports cited the potential favorable effects of drinking a chamomile preparation that is combined with other herbs, in treating diarrhea.
Dont consume caffeine or alcohol. Caffeine and alcohol can irritate the digestive tract and worsen diarrhea, according to the U.S. Library of Medicine.
Dillute your water with fruit juice. Ganjhu recommends diluting your water with fruit juices, like cranberry or apple juice, to make the H2O, which can sometimes be nauseating when you have diarrhea, easier to tolerate.
Whats The Difference Between Normal Diarrhea And Severe Diarrhea
There are actually several different ways to classify diarrhea. These types of diarrhea include:
- Acute diarrhea: The most common, acute diarrhea is loose watery diarrhea that lasts one to two days. This type doesnt need treatment and it usually goes away after a few days.
- Persistent diarrhea: This type of diarrhea generally persists for several weeks two to four weeks
- Chronic diarrhea: Diarrhea that lasts for more than four weeks or comes and goes regularly over a long period of time is called chronic diarrhea.
You May Like: Can Pepcid Cause Dizziness
Kidney Or Liver Disease
You probably already know the importance of the liver and kidneys. These detoxifying organs are essential for your cats health.
When theres something wrong with the liver or kidneys, diarrhea may be one of the first symptoms that develop. However, your vet will not be able to diagnose liver or kidney dysfunction only on the presence of diarrhea.
Other tests will have to be administered to check liver and kidney function. With kidney or liver disease, a timely diagnosis is of utmost importance to slow down, or even stop, disease progression.
What Procedures And Tests Diagnose Diarrhea
In healthy people with diarrhea, and who appear well otherwise, the health-care professional may elect to do no tests at all. Stool cultures are not usually necessary unless there is high fever, blood in the stool, recent travel, or prolonged disease.
- In some cases, the health care professional may send a sample of the stool to the laboratory to evaluate if the cause of diarrhea can be determined . It usually takes approximately one to two days for the results of these tests.
- Blood tests are sometimes necessary for patients with other medical problems or with severe disease.
- A colonoscopy is an endoscope procedure that allows the physician to view the entire colon to evaluate for infections or structural abnormalities that could cause the condition.
- Imaging tests such as X-rays or CT scans are performed to rule out structural abnormalities as the cause of diarrhea, particularly when pain is a prominent symptom.
You May Like: Does Tramadol Make You Constipated
How Do You Treat A Cat With Diarrhea
Unlike vomiting, diarrhea doesnt require the cat owner to withhold food for an extended period of time. In fact, withholding food during this time can actually do more harm than good and can put your cat at risk of developing a fatal type of liver disease known as hepatic lipidosis. Additionally, keep your cat hydrated with water.
When Should You Seek Medical Care
Diarrhea can usually be treated with home care. In some cases, it may become more severe. A person should go to a hospital emergency department in the following situations:
- If the person has the condition along with high fever, moderate-to-severe abdominal pain, or dehydration that cannot be managed by drinking fluids
- If the diarrhea appears to contain blood
- If the person is sleepy and is not acting like their usual selves
- Vomiting and inability to tolerate any food or to keep liquids down
- Signs of dehydration
- High fever, significant abdominal pain, frequent loose bowel movements, or bloody diarrhea
- If he or she is elderly or has serious underlying medical problems, particularly diabetes, heart, kidney, or liver disease, or HIV/AIDS
- A parent or caregiver needs advice about preventing dehydration in newborns and infants
- Symptoms do not improve in two to three days or appear to become worse
- If he or she develops diarrhea after travel within their home country, or foreign travel or if a woman is pregnant
For cases of chronic diarrhea, your primary care provider may consult with a gastroenterologist .
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
Read Also: Does Peanut Butter Cause Heartburn
How Can I Treat My Acute Diarrhea
In most cases, you can treat your acute diarrhea with over-the-counter medicines such as loperamide and bismuth subsalicylate . Doctors generally do not recommend using over-the-counter medicines for people who have bloody stools or feversigns of infection with bacteria or parasites. If your diarrhea lasts more than 2 days, see a doctor right away.
When you have acute diarrhea, you may lose your appetite for a short time. When your appetite returns, you can go back to eating your normal diet. Learn more about eating when you have diarrhea.