How To Reintroduce Foods The Smart Way
- Order of foods Start with the least potentially reactive foods, eg in week 1 maybe start by adding some soaked and pressure cooked legumes back into your diet.
- Time for each food Wait 2-3 days after eating a new food, until you reintroduce the next food. Thats important, because some foods can take a day or two for any ill effects to be felt. So this means you will typically add just 2 foods back into your diet each week.
- Track with a diary Use a food diary to keep track of what foods youve added back in and how youve felt the hour after eating it, the next day and the day after. ie a food and symptoms tracking journal.
- Review with a health professional Once youve reintroduced everything, take your journal to your doctor or other health professional, and work out which foods can be permanently allowed back into your diet, which ones can be allowed now and then and which ones really shouldnt ever be a part of your diet.
What Is Leaky Gut
Leaky gut is a syndrome that has been gaining more attraction as patients are demanding to search for answers for these vague symptoms. Leaky gut begins at the cellular level, where the lining of the intestine is made up of millions of cells that are supposed to create a tight security barrier. This security barrier decides what is absorbed into the bloodstream and what stays out. If holes develop within this security system, this allows for the barrier to weaken and can transmit toxins and bacteria into the bloodstream. Over time this can cause a chronic inflammation effect that can lead to unexplained complaints.
The Scd Diet Lowers Inflammation But Is Challenging Long
The Specific Carbohydrate Diet diet has been around for almost 100 years. A physician originally developed it to help her child with celiac disease. Today it is used for many conditions, including inflammatory bowel disease 00504-3/fulltext” rel=”nofollow”>40).
Despite its name, the diet is not a low carbohydrate diet. It focuses on eating simple carbohydrates that can be easily absorbed. It eliminates all grains, milk , and sugar, except for honey. There is overlap with the low FODMAP diet .
Research demonstrates an improvement in IBS symptoms with the SCD diet, but not research looking specifically at gut permeability. It has been shown to lower inflammation .
You May Like: Does Romaine Lettuce Cause Gas
How Do You Know If You Have A Leaky Gut
There are tests for leaky gut, which can be useful if you want hard evidence that you need to address your gut health. In other words, having proof that something is going on in your body might help to motivate you to make changes in your lifestyle or stick to a protocol.
For a more detailed rundown of how you can know if you have leaky gut, read our blog How do you know if you have leaky gut? Some quick answers
At Healthpath we use a PEG test to look at leaky gut. Together with your symptom survey, our Registered Nutritional Therapists and Functional Medicine Practitioners use the results to build you a personal diet, lifestyle and supplement protocol to get you great gut health.
For all you need to know about leaky gut testing, read Testing for leaky gut syndrome: the complete guide .
For most people, we recommend a deep-dive into the workings of your gut: a Gut Health Test. Some of our Gut Health Tests look at your zonulin level, which is one marker of leaky gut.
However, theres really no comparison to a stand-alone leaky gut test and a Gut Health Test, which is a fully comprehensive analysis of the goings-on of your gut. It looks at:
- Your microbiomes health: stool consistency, pH levels, microbe diversity, enterotype, and dysbiosis index.
- Bacteria, yeasts , moulds, parasites, worms, H. pylori and pathogenic bacteria.
- Advanced biomarkers: digestive function, immune system and inflammation.
Bonus elements on more advanced tests include:
My Advice On Taking Probiotics For Leaky Gut Is Simple
- Take a high strength probiotic supplement with 30-50 billion CFUs.
- Make sure your probiotic contains multiple strains / species of bacteria , so that you are feeding your gut a healthy balance of bacteria and not drowning it with just one type. Importantly, look for a probiotic containing my 7 favorite strains: L Plantarum50, L Rhamnosus51, L Acidophilus52, B Bifidum53, B Longum54, B Lactis55 and B Coagulans56.
- Look for probiotics that include 100-300mg of prebiotics per serve, as they will support the probiotic, since prebiotics are like fuel for probiotics57. Also eat prebiotic-rich foods .
If youre looking for a probiotic supplement that ticks all the boxes above, you can try Smart Probiotic it is a next-generation probiotic-prebiotic supplement that my research team at Essential Stacks and I spent 3 months developing.
It is the exact probiotic formulation Ive always been looking for.
And thats because it is strong enough to meet our requirements , has 11 different high quality strains , contains 2 premium prebiotics, and uses delayed release capsule technology to help the probiotics survive the journey.
This combination means you get your probiotics delivered to the place where theyre actually required . And this optimal delivery process makes all the difference.
You can learn more about Smart Probiotic .
You May Like: Do Bananas Help With Bloating
Increase Your Collagen Consumption
Collagen contains the amino acids glycine, proline, and hydroxyproline that are needed to repair and rebuild your gut lining. Regular consumption of collagen containing foods like bone broth, gelatin, and collagen powders can be therapeutic additions to the diet that may help mend and prevent leaky gut. Studies show that supplemental collagen peptides can help to strengthen the gut barrier, making it less permeable and more likely to retain nutrients from food. Eating foods that boost your bodys collagen production like eggs, citrus fruits, broccoli, sunflower seeds, and mushrooms can also help increase your bodys natural collagen production.
Consider A Megadose Of L
First of all, its worth explaining that L-Glutamine is just an amino acid . And in fact, it is the most abundant amino acid naturally found in our blood!14
But heres the cool thing about it
you see, just like protein powder feeds your muscles so they can repair and grow stronger, L-Glutamine can fuel your gut lining15 so it too can repair damaged cells and come back healthier.
You May Like: Can Probiotics Help With Bv
When Should I See A Doctor
Improving your diet may help you feel better, but a leaky gut sometimes can have other causes, like infection or disease.
In some cases, food sensitivities may be causing your symptoms. If you suspect you may have a food sensitivity, Dr. La Vella recommends working with a doctor to determine your sensitivity.
It is very safe for anyone to adopt a whole foods diet and youll likely start feeling better within a few weeks, says Dr. La Vella. If you have ongoing symptoms and are still concerned after making these changes, talk to your doctor. There may be an underlying cause that needs to be treated.
Get medical and nutritional support on your weight loss journey. Attend a free seminar to learn how Samaritan Weight Management Institute can help you feel your best.
Learn more about probiotics and improving gut health.
- Cells that form the lining of the intestines are called enterocytes. Permeability occurs when the junctions between these cells loosen and microorganisms and toxins can leak through.
What Is The Fastest Way To Heal Leaky Gut
As you can see, many studies have shown that its possible to improve leaky gut in a matter of weeks, or even days.
The fastest way to heal your own leaky gut completely depends on why your gut is leaky. Everyone has their own unique set of reasons.
Its important to remember that leaky gut is only ever just one element of an unhappy gut. Bad diets, stress, dysbiosis and infections are all part of the picture too. Leaky gut is unlikely to exist without some or all of those things.
Leaky gut is involved in an almost infinite number of diseases and gut symptoms, but we dont know what comes first: the disease, the gut symptoms or the leaky gut. What we do know is that looking after your gut health can kill all these birds with one stone.
Thats because your gut health affects the health of your entire body and mind, and vice versa. Its all connected. So rather than trying to heal your leaky gut as fast as you can, we recommend taking a step back and digging deep into your gut health.
You May Like: How Do You Stop Heartburn
How Your Gut Lining Works
The specialized cells lining your gut are designed to absorb the nutrients from your food into the bloodstream, allowing those nutrients to travel to wherever they are needed in the body. These cells are called enterocytes, and theyre covered with enzymes that promote digestion as well as mucus that helps food and waste slide through the intestines. Enterocytes absorb water, glucose, peptides and amino acids, lipids, vitamins, and bile from the liver. Between these cells are spaces called tight junctions.;
Think of your gut lining as a completed tower of Jenga blocks. The blocks are perfectly lined up so that there are little to no gaps between them, and the tower stands strong and stable. Then, as you play the game, you begin to remove blocks. Gaps appear in the structure and it becomes more and more unstable until eventually, it crashes down.;
This is what happens when your gut becomes leaky. The very small gaps between the cells only allow microscopic nutrients to pass through and block any larger harmful molecules from escaping into the bloodstream. The structure remains intact.;
But as pathogens, toxins, and stress widen those gaps over time , more and more of those harmful antagonists slip through the barrier. They perhaps even steal the actual nutrients you need with them, creating more and more gaps in the lining.;
Can You Completely Heal A Leaky Gut
While its impossible to say whether or not you can completely heal leaky gut, you can certainly make it better.
Everyones guts are leaky to some extent: our small intestine is supposed to let out certain particles into the rest of the body. Its only a problem when it starts to let out the wrong types.;
You need your gut to remember what to let out and what to keep in. The good news is, theres a lot of evidence that you can help it do that.
Also Check: Can Soy Milk Cause Diarrhea
Heres How I Quit Coffee For My Leaky Gut & What I Drink Now
- Week 1 substituted my morning coffee with decaf coffee and my lunchtime coffee with Yerba mate81 . The decaf was simply to wean me off the taste and the Yerba mate off the caffeine. Plus I drank my morning shake/juice , which gives a huge amount of natural energy. Alternatively, you could stop it all, and just wean off using caffeine tablets.
- Week 2 herbal teas only, but if you really need it, Yerba mate can be thrown into the mix.
- Week 3 onwards only herbal tea.
- Once healed / long term then just continue on with the week 2 protocol, but occasionally you can try and have coffee and see how you feel. For example, about once or twice a month I will have a Bulletproof style coffee , because my gut can handle it now and wow, does this blow my mind in the taste department. A real treat! Just make sure to avoid coffees with cows based milk you can substitute in almond milk, macadamia milk etc.
If You Like Spirits Then Make Sure You Drink Them Heavily Diluted
Spirits are not as bad as many think, especially if you drink them like I do i.e. heavily diluted.
For example, I typically order a tall glass with 400ml soda water, a shot of vodka and a fresh wedge of lime. Plus minimal ice. That combination is so diluted you can barely taste the vodka. And thats how you know youve nailed it.
Importantly, I never use pop/soda/soft drinks as a mixer due to the sugar content.
But if I get sick of mixing with soda water, then I will mix with something like kombucha43. This can be pleasantly delicious, especially if you get a little naughty and choose kombucha with natural flavoring in it!
Recommended Reading: Lettuce In Stool
Some Cooking Notes For This Recipe
- Make sure to run your fermenting jar through the dishwasher before using it a hot wash will help remove any bacteria that could interfere with the fermentation.
- For starter culture, you can use a vegetable or dairy based one. I tend to personally opt for the former. Each sachet will likely have a couple of grams of culture. And come with instructions on how to prep it, before adding it to the jar.
- Your kraut can be stored for more than the 2 week period mentioned in the graphic. In fact, unopened, you could keep it for 6-9 months easily.
- But once you open your kraut, keep it in the fridge, and for max 2 months.
P.S. If you ever get sick of eating fermented vegetables then consider a probiotic supplement and of course, just be thankful you dont have to resort to a fecal transplant to restore your gut flora!
Replace Your Morning Cup O Joe With Some Herbal Teas
This need not be forever, but it should definitely be your approach for the next 1-3 months whilst you are recovering from leaky gut.
You see coffee, including decaf, is not good for your intestinal lining79. .
You can read my in-depth article here on coffee and leaky gut, but the exec summary version is that coffee irritates the gut , causes inflammation , gets confused by our bodies as gluten 80 and the caffeine itself spurs on adrenal fatigue.
Read Also: How Much Bone Broth To Drink For Leaky Gut
Gut Health Is Connected To All Aspects Of Your Health
Gastrointestinal issues may be as simple as gas and bloating, or as severe as food sensitivity and constipation, yet these conditions are not a natural part of daily health or the process of aging. Gut health serves as a direct indicator of overall health; thus, digestive issues can be symptoms of more severe conditions.
Natural Ways To Protect Your Good Bugs And Prevent Leaky Gut
;1. Healthy Diet
A healthy microbiome can be thrown off balance by numerous factors, especially the standard American diet , which is low in fiber and lacks vitamins and other nutrients essential for human gut lining cells. Junk food can shift the microbial balance in a negative direction. Also, high sugar intake can encourage excessive growth of yeasts that contribute to leaky gut.
Probiotics are found in a variety of foods, including:
Don’t Miss: Omeprazole For Ibs
Strategy #: Prevent Damage In The First Place
“All disease begins in the gut” – Hippocrates, 460BC-375BC
The first rule of healing the gut barrier is to keep it from being damaged in the first place.NSAIDs , alcohol, coffee, cigarettes, as well as intake of inflammatory and sugar-laden foods hurt the gut.Grains, legumes, and nuts hurt the gut too when not prepared appropriately. Traditional preparations such as soaking & sprouting nuts, legumes, and grains are best to reduce lectins and other compounds known to ease insults to the gut lining.These ingredients are also often stored in bins for long periods of time. Moisture, mold spores, or other microbial growth may contaminate even organic & otherwise healthy products. These microbes produce toxins & elicit immune responses that are also damaging to the gut.
The harvesting of grains like wheat will also use gut-hurting compounds like glyphosphate .
Round-up recently made headlines as a man with terminal cancer was awarded $39 million, and Monsanto was fined $250 million after the ruling implicated glyphosphate as a cause of the man’s disease.Glyphosphate helps dehydrate wheat before harvesting & eases the physical process of gathering the grain. Most non-organic wheat contains glyphosphate residues. Even if you’re not gluten sensitive, or sensitive to the many other problematic proteins in wheat – you also need to contend with glyphosphate residue.
There Are Many Types Of Paleo Diets
In general, a paleo diet is focused on eating like a caveman, i.e., how humans ate before organized farming and industrialization. It includes lean meats, fruits, veggies, and nuts while excluding grains, legumes, and processed foods with additives .
Most Paleo diets eliminate:
- Legumes: beans, peanuts, hummus, etc
- Refined sugars
- Industrial seed oils such as vegetable or canola oil
- Fruits and vegetables
- Fats: coconut, olive oil, avocado, lard, ghee
- Minimally processed sweeteners: raw honey, maple syrup, coconut sugar, raw stevia
Some paleo-style bloggers and cookbook authors are more liberal with their definition of what a paleo diet is. Many include recipes that use a fair amount of added sugars, claiming to be healthier since theyre less processed. Our body isnt able to distinguish between different kinds of added sugar very well. What is important is not eating too much added sugar, no matter the form. Sugar causes inflammation.; The Paleo diet eliminates many inflammatory foods and has been shown to lower inflammation. . There are no studies looking directly at gut permeability and the paleo diet.
Recommended Reading: Can Undereating Cause Diarrhea
If You Like White Wine Add Ice Cubes Or Water Or Seltzer
This spritzer idea might seem sacrilegious to my French readers, but hey, it is an easy way for us to keep our total wine consumption limited, whilst still being able to enjoy a few glasses on a Saturday night.
The ideal amount of dilution would be 50%. So it is half wine, half non-sugar mixer .
Probably the #1 thing to look out for when choosing a white wine, is dry v sweet. The former contains much less sugar. That means sauvignon blanc and pinot grigio are your new BFFs.
I personally tend to limit my white wine consumption to the summer months, and so generally only drink red wine, which leads us to the next point