What Causes Severe Abdominal Cramping
The sensation of the cramp-like pain is due to painful spasms in the intestine and needs a proper cure. Constipation, viral infections, diarrhea, and food poisoning can cause severe stomach cramps. Common Causes. The causes of severe muscle spasms in the stomach may vary from minor reasons to serious problems.
Dont Miss: Whats Good For Burning Stomach
Stomach Cramps With Bloating
Stomach cramps with bloating are often caused by trapped wind, or constipation. This is a very common problem that can be embarrassing, but is easily dealt with. Your pharmacist will be able to recommend a product, which can be bought over the counter to treat the problem. If problems persist, you should see your GP.
Causes Of Abdominal Pain And Diarrhea In Pregnant People
Pregnant people are especially prone to abdominal pain and diarrhea. One common reason is that many people make changes to their diet when they find out theyre pregnant. This can cause digestive trouble.
If youre pregnant, you may also start having sensitivities to particular foods. This can include foods you eat on a regular basis, resulting in abdominal pain and diarrhea. On top of that, hormone changes in your reproductive system that occur during pregnancy may also cause these symptoms.
Seek medical help if youre having abdominal pain and diarrhea that last for 3 days, if the pain grows increasingly worse over a 24-hour period, or if its accompanied by any of these symptoms:
- frequent nausea or vomiting
- a sustained fever of 101°F for adults or 100.4°F for children
- stool that contains blood or dried blood, which looks like wet coffee grounds
- an inability to keep food down
- extreme thirst or dry mouth
- an inability to speak or see
- mental confusion or loss of consciousness
- yellowing of the skin or eyes
- swelling of the genitals
- external bleeding
Diarrhea can be more dangerous for infants, older adults, and people with weakened immune systems. In these cases, discuss symptoms with a doctor.
If you dont have a primary care doctor, you can browse doctors in your area through the Healthline FindCare tool.
Read Also: What Does Bunny Diarrhea Look Like
How Is Diarrhea Diagnosed
To see if you have diarrhea, your healthcare provider will give you a physical exam and ask about your past health. You may also have lab tests to check your blood and urine.
Other tests may include:
- Stool studies including culture and other tests. This test checks for any abnormal bacteria in your digestive tract that may cause diarrhea and other problems. To do this, a small stool sample is taken and sent to a lab.
- Sigmoidoscopy. This test lets your healthcare provider check the inside of part of your large intestine. It helps to tell what is causing diarrhea. A short, flexible, lighted tube is put into your intestine through the rectum. This tube blows air into your intestine to make it swell. This makes it easier to see inside. A biopsy can be taken if needed.
- Colonoscopy. This test looks at the full length of your large intestine. It can help check for any abnormal growths, tissue that is red or swollen, sores , or bleeding. A long, flexible, lighted tube is put into your rectum up into the colon. This tube lets your healthcare provider see the lining of your colon and take out a tissue sample to test it. He or she can also treat some problems that may be found.
- Imaging tests. These tests can see if there are any problems with the way your organs are formed .
Causes Of Diarrhea After Eating
Having diarrhea right after you eat is called postprandial diarrhea. You might experience this for a few days, in which case it is acute, or you may have had it for a long time and it is a chronic condition.
Diarrhea after you eat can be caused by many things, ranging from the stomach flu to a more serious disease. So its important to bring any new or ongoing digestive symptom to your doctors attention so that you can get the treatment you need.
This article discusses several reasons why you may be having diarrhea after you eat. It also provides some steps you can try when you have diarrhea to help you feel better and possibly prevent more bouts of diarrhea in the future.
Verywell / Brianna Gilmartin
Recommended Reading: Is Leaky Gut An Autoimmune Disease
What Complications Are Associated With Diarrhoea
Diarrhoea may cause dehydration. More fluids are lost from the body when you have diarrhoea than normally. Dehydration can lead to a loss of electrolytes minerals your body needs to function properly. This is why rehydration is so important.
Diarrhoea causes food to move quickly through your body. If this is ongoing it makes it difficult for you to absorb nutrients and can lead to malnutrition.
Some people may develop temporary lactose intolerance after an episode of diarrhoea or gastroenteritis. See your doctor if the symptoms continue for more than a couple of weeks.
What Does Travelers Diarrhea Do To My Body
When your immune system detects an infection in your gastrointestinal tract, it produces an inflammatory response to kill and remove the pathogen. This is what causes the uncomfortable symptoms of infection, including fever, stomach cramps and diarrhea, nausea and vomiting. It’s usually short and self-limiting. The main thing to watch out for is dehydration from too much fluid loss.
Also Check: What Are Some Probiotic Supplements
How Do Healthcare Providers Treat Travelers Diarrhea
Healthcare providers have a conservative approach to treating travelers diarrhea. The first line of treatment is rest and hydration for both children and adults. Certain sports drinks or oral rehydration formula can help replenish lost electrolytes. Most of the time, travelers diarrhea resolves on its own within a few days, but if you have severe or persistent symptoms, they might prescribe medication.
Of The Many Potential Causes Of Abdominal Pain In Children The Most Common Include:
This is a general term that describes discomfort in childrens upper abdomen. Common symptoms include pain or burning in the area between the breastbone and navel or bloating in the upper abdomen. Most of the time, indigestion will go away on its own and is not considered serious. Prepare smaller meals and try a bland diet. Talk with their health care provider if the discomfort persists.
This is an infection marked by watery diarrhea, abdominal cramps and pain, and nausea or vomiting. Seek medical attention if your child has a fever of 100.4 F or higher, bloody diarrhea, or has significant pain or discomfort. Most important is to stay well-hydrated.
Constipated children have infrequent bowel movements or hard, dry stools. They may frequently complain of a stomachache, bloating or discomfort. Talk with their primary care provider if they dont want to eat, are losing weight, have bloody stools or are having repeated episodes of constipation.
Stress or anxiety
When children are stressed or anxious, their bodies release the hormone cortisol into the blood. This can trigger abdominal cramps and discomfort.
With any abdominal pain, seek urgent medical attention if children have:
- Pain so severe that they cant move without causing more pain
- Difficulty sitting sit or finding a comfortable position
- Severe tenderness when the abdomen is touched
- Swelling of the abdomen
Read Also: How To Lose Your Baby Fat Stomach
Read Also: What Is Ibs In Weight Measurement
When Should I Go To The Hospital For Lower Abdominal Pain
If your stomach pain is severe, chronic, or accompanied by additional symptoms, visit your nearest ER as soon as possible to receive a diagnosis and treatment. Some signs and symptoms that may mean your stomach pain is serious enough to go to the ER include: New onset of pain. Chronic abdominal pain.
Read Also: What To Take For Burning Stomach
How Common Are Stomachaches
Just about everybody will experience abdominal pain at one point or another. Most causes of abdominal pain are not serious and resolve spontaneously. A healthcare provider can usually readily diagnose and treat these conditions. However, abdominal pain can also be a sign of a serious illness, or even an emergency. Abdominal pain is responsible for some 5% of emergency room visits.
You May Like: Does Amoxicillin Make You Constipated
How Can I Prevent Or Reduce My Risk Of Getting Travelers Diarrhea
Always be cautious of the food and drinks you consume when traveling abroad. While these precautions wont completely prevent travelers diarrhea, they can reduce your risk.
- Wash your hands often, especially before eating.
- Carry an alcohol-based sanitizer to clean your hands with.
- Keep children from crawling or sitting on the ground.
- Avoid swimming in contaminated water.
- Don’t swallow any shower water.
- Brush your teeth with bottled water.
- Avoid drinks with ice cubes that might be made from tap water.
- Avoid fresh produce unless you can peel it yourself.
- Stick to foods and drinks that are well cooked and served hot.
- Stick to canned or bottled beverages.
Common Causes Of Stomach Pain
Harmless abdominal pain usually subsides or goes away within two hours. Some of the common causes for stomach pain are from:
- Gas: Formed in the stomach and intestines as your body breaks down food, gas can cause general stomach pain and cramps. This often can be indicated by belching or flatulence.
- Bloating: Related to gas, bloating occurs when excess gas builds up in your digestive tract. Your stomach usually will feel full, and you may experience cramps.
- Constipation: This occurs when you are having difficulty making bowel movements. If you are having two or fewer bowel movements a week, constipation is the likely cause. In addition to feeling bloated and uncomfortable, you may experience cramping and pain in your rectum.
- Indigestion: This is typically experienced as an upset stomach, burning, or belly pain after eating.
- Stomach flu: Your stomach may hurt before each episode of vomiting or diarrhea.
Also Check: What Can A Doctor Do For Ibs
Certain Types Of Cancer
Colon cancer, lymphoma, pancreatic cancer, and some other types may cause gastric symptoms such as diarrhea, vomiting, or constipation. Some forms of cancer may go undiagnosed until gastric symptoms occur.
Cancer treatments, such as chemotherapy, can also cause vomiting, nausea, and diarrhea. Let your doctor know if your symptoms are accompanied by:
Your doctor can diagnose lactose intolerance with a hydrogen breath test. Avoiding foods containing lactose is the best way to avoid symptoms.
List Of Natural And Home Remedies For Adults And Children For Diarrhea
Treatments for Adults
- Adults should drink plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration.
- Replenishing water loss is important. Avoid milk as it can make diarrhea worse. Sports beverages can be beneficial because they replenish electrolytes in addition to providing hydration.
- If the patient is able to eat, avoid greasy or fatty foods. Adults, infants, toddlers, and children should be encouraged to follow the BRAT diet . The BRAT diet is a combination of foods to eat to treat diarrhea. If diarrhea is accompanied by nausea, have the person suck on ice chips until the nausea stops. After the diarrhea subsides, avoid alcoholic beverages and spicy foods for two additional days.
- Individuals may be able to continue their usual activities if they are mildly ill with diarrhea however, strenuous exercise should be avoided because exercise increases the risk of dehydration.
- If you are pregnant women and have diarrhea make sure to rehydrate to avoid dehydration, and consult your doctor.
Treatments for Toddlers and Children
Are herbs safe to take for diarrhea?
Recommended Reading: Does Pickle Juice Help Heartburn
Does Period Diarrhea Ever Warrant A Doctors Visit
Yes. When youre in intense discomfort , its time to call a doctor.
If youve been having GI symptoms like cramping, bloating, gas, diarrhea, and constipation that get worse during your period, you could have a gastrointestinal condition like irritable bowel syndrome or inflammatory bowel disease , so youll want to ask about visiting a specialist. If your period triggers bloody diarrhea or abdominal pain so bad that you can’t eat, you may have endometriosis, a condition where the cells that line your uterus pop up elsewhere, and you should definitely see an ob-gyn for a checkup.
Otherwise? Give it a few more days and hang in there. Thankfully, you only have to deal with this crap once a month.
Figuring Out The Cause
When youre suffering from stomach pain, diarrhea, or both, one of the most important things is to try to determine the root cause. Quite often, this type of abdominal pain is due to stomach flu or another virus, spoiled food, or food that one has developed a sensitivity to. Unless diarrhea and pain are accompanied by other severe symptoms, such as a high fever, the best course of action is to wait it out.
If you feel that it is a reaction to food, most times symptoms will subside in a day or two. However, there are some instances of food poisoning that definitely warrant a doctor visit but again, you will see other severe symptoms along with general GI upset.
If you think you may be having a reaction to food, such as those with celiac disease who have a sensitivity to gluten, its worthwhile to try an elimination diet to confine the source of the upset. It is possible to suddenly develop a food sensitivity later in life its also estimated that up to 20 percent of Americans have food sensitivity. Please note that celiac is a serious condition and ongoing exposure to gluten can cause increasing damage. Celiac should not be self-diagnosed.
You May Like: Why Does My Stomach Get Bloated Every Time I Eat
Recommended Reading: What Not To Eat For Leaky Gut Syndrome
Remedies And Treatments For Upset Stomach And Diarrhea
Upset Stomach Remedies
Most stomach ailments can be treated at home. As soon as you start feeling sick, begin limiting your diet to clear liquids in frequent, small amounts. Make sure to drink enough fluids to keep your urine clear or a pale yellow.
If youâre not able to keep liquids down and begin to vomit, start with sips of water or sucking on ice chips. Once you are able to keep that down, try other fluids like:
- Clear soup broth or bouillon
- Clear soft-drinks like 7-Up, Sprite, or Ginger Ale
- Juices like apple, grape, cherry, or cranberry
Once you are able to keep all liquids down, try some solid foods along with the liquids. Good foods to try are:
It may take several days to one week to regain your appetite, energy level, and for your bowels to regain normalcy.
Diarrhea TreatmentsMost cases of diarrhea clear on their own within a couple of days without treatment. If you’ve tried lifestyle changes and home remedies for an upset stomach and diarrhea without success, your doctor might recommend the following:
Antibiotics might help treat diarrhea caused by bacteria or parasites. If a virus is causing your diarrhea, antibiotics won’t help. Alternatively, if your doctor determines that antibiotics are whatâs causing your diarrhea, they will likely lower the dose or switch to another medication.
Treatment to Replace Fluids
Treating underlying conditions
Upset Stomach and Diarrhea Prevention
Are There Any Ways To Control Poop Problems Related To My Period
If youre dealing with mild GI issues, consider a trip to your local CVS for some over-the-counter solutions and a heating pad for your lower belly.
Depending on your symptoms, you could try anti-diarrheal meds like loperamide or bismuth subsalicylate for closer-to-normal poops, or an anti-gas med like simethicone . As long as they dont mess with your current health status, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like aspirin, ibuprofen , and naproxen can ease your belly aches and cramps.
Period Probs, Solved
If you can manage a light version of your typical workout or even a brisk walk, exercise may help give you a mood boost, reduce your discomfort, or it can even help get your system going if youre constipated, says Dr. Greves. Switching up your diet before and during your period could also help keep your symptoms in check. When you know your periods on the way, avoid foods that typically trigger bloating and gas , and if you tend to get backed up, eat more fiber-rich foods .
One thing you shouldnt do: Try to self-treat period diarrhea thats become totally life-disrupting or lasts way longer than your cycle. If that’s the case, call your doc .
You May Like: How To Stop Diarrhea From Antibiotics
What Causes Abdominal Pain And Diarrhea After Eating
Identifying the cause of your condition can help you to work with your health care provider on the effective treatment plan. Here are some situations that may be to blame for your symptoms
1. Viral Infection
Viral infection is a common cause of stomach cramps and diarrhea. They can cause diarrhea as well as make your digestive track super sensitive. The effects of viral infections usually last for a few days and then the symptoms subside. You may consult with your doctor for treatment.
2. Food Poisoning
Its hilarious that our bodies can identify what they should or shouldnt eat. In case you happen to eat contaminated food or drink contaminated water, the most probable way your body will get rid of it is through diarrhea, and you may feel some discomfort in the stomach. For instance, diarrhea after eating salad may mean that the salad was contaminated. Some cases of food poisoning are usually severe and if symptoms persist, immediately seek the help of a doctor.
3. Lactose Intolerance
In case you have an allergic reaction to lactose- a type of sugar mainly found in dairy products, then you may experience stomach cramps and diarrhea. if you take foods with lactose.
Sugar malabsorption is another condition related to lactose intolerance. In this case, ones body is unable to absorb sugars such as fructose and lactose properly. If these sugars reach the intestines, they may result in gastrointestinal issues as well as diarrhea.
4. Toddlers Diarrhea