Constipation Relief Due To High Fiber Content
Whether you go for Medjool dates or regular Deglet Noor dates, you can be sure your body will get a good dose of fiber when you eat your dates. According to nutrition facts data provided by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Medjool dates provide 6.7 grams of fiber per 100 grams, and a 100-gram serving of Deglet Noor dates provides a whopping 8 grams of roughage . Most of the fiber in dates in insoluble fiber which is thought to help relieve constipation. The use of dates as a natural remedy for constipation is also supported by an animal study that linked date consumption to reduced gastric transit time It is important to keep in mind, however, that chronic constipation can sometimes be a sign of a more serious digestive disease, so if you frequently suffer from constipation, or if it is accompanied with severe pain and/or bleeding, you should talk to you doctor.
May Promote Brain Health
Eating dates may help improve brain function.
Laboratory studies have found dates to be helpful for lowering inflammatory markers, such as interleukin 6 , in the brain. High levels of IL-6 are associated with a higher risk of neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimers .
Additionally, animal studies have shown dates to be helpful for reducing the activity of amyloid beta proteins, which can form plaques in the brain .
When plaques accumulate in the brain, they may disturb communication between brain cells, which can ultimately lead to brain cell death and Alzheimers disease .
One animal study found that mice fed food mixed with dates had significantly better memory and learning ability, as well as less anxiety-related behaviors, compared to those that did not eat them .
The potential brain-boosting properties of dates have been attributed to their content of antioxidants known to reduce inflammation, including flavonoids .
However, human studies are needed to confirm the role of dates in brain health.
Summary Dates may be helpful for lowering inflammation and preventing plaques from forming in the brain, which is important for preventing Alzheimers disease.
Causes And Risk Factors Of Constipation
The GI tract, which consists of a series of hollow organs stretching from your mouth to your anus, is responsible for digestion, nutrient absorption, and waste removal.
In your lower GI tract, your large intestine, or bowel which includes your colon and rectum absorbs water from your digested food, changing it from a liquid to a solid .
Constipation occurs when digested food spends too much time in your colon.
It can also occur when your colon absorbs too much water, making your stool hard and dry and difficult for your rectal muscles to push out of your body.
A wide range of factors can lead to constipation. According to the NIDKK, these include:
- Delayed emptying of the colon caused by pelvic floor disorders and colon surgery
- Gastrointestinal disorders, such as irritable bowel syndrome
- Certain medicines and dietary supplements, including antacids that contain aluminum calcium supplements anticholinergics and antispasmodics anticonvulsants, which are used to prevent seizures calcium channel blockers diuretics iron supplements medications used to treat Parkinsons disease certain pain medications and antidepressants
Other lifestyle-related causes of constipation include:
- Not eating enough fiber
You May Like: Kidney Infection Causes Bloating
Why Are Dates Good For Constipation
- Dates are well known for rich source of dietary fibers that help to relieve constipation.
- The fiber content of dates provide the daily requirement of fiber that regulates digestive system and prevents constipation.
- Abundance of insoluble fiber in dates, adds bulk to the stool and makes its passage easier through the bowel.
- Dates draw water to the digestive tract which makes the stool move faster and prevents it from turning hard that are difficult to pass.
- Including dates in your diet is beneficial for constipation relief and proper functioning of digestive system.
- Dates can even alleviate a clogged colon that are often accompanied with chronic constipation.
- A diet filled with fiber is necessary for controlling the symptoms of chronic constipation.
- Dietary fiber is a staple nutrient for bowel regularity and are found abundantly in dates.
- Along with fiber, dates also contain rich amount of calcium, iron and potassium that are good for body functions, including digestion.
- Brown foods are known to be good for digestion. Dates, being brown in color, ensure the proper functioning of digestive system and relieves constipation.
- Dates also strengthen the beneficial bacteria in stomach and keep constipation at bay.
The 17 Best Foods To Relieve Constipation
About 14% of people experience chronic constipation at some point .
Symptoms include passing stools less than three times per week, straining, lumpy or hard stools, a sensation of incomplete evacuation, feeling blocked, or being unable to pass a stool.
The type and severity of symptoms can vary from person to person. Some people experience constipation only rarely, while its a chronic condition for others.
Constipation has a variety of causes, but its often the result of the slow movement of food through the digestive system.
This may be due to dehydration, a poor diet, medications, illness, diseases affecting the nervous system, or mental disorders.
Fortunately, certain foods can help relieve constipation by adding bulk, softening stool, decreasing gut transit time, and increasing stool frequency.
Here are 17 foods that can help relieve constipation and keep you regular.
Also Check: How Long Does Gerd Flare Up Last
Dates Are Bursting With Vitamins And Minerals
One of the great health benefits of dates is that you shouldnt need to take vitamin supplements. A diet with dates in it can give you a surplus quantity of some highly beneficial vitamins. Dates contain many different vitamins, such as B1, B2, B3, B5, A1 and C just to name a few. Try a few dates a day!
Dates bring plenty of minerals to the body too, which keeps your bones strong. Dates have been shown to help strengthen bones which help you avoid the risks of osteoporosis.
What Are Medjool Dates
Dates have been a staple food of the Middle East and the Indus Valley for thousands of years.
What are dates? Theyre a type of fruit derived from the date palm, , a tree of the palm family, found in northern Africa, the Canary Islands, the Middle East, Pakistan, India and California.
The date fruit is one-seeded and typically oblong, and dates often vary in shape, size, color, quality and consistency of flesh.
There are hundreds of varieties of Phoenix dactylifera date palms, but one of the most famous is the large, soft Medjool date palm, which produces Medjool dates.
Dates are a fruit commonly consumed as a part of the Mediterranean diet. Medjool dates can be eaten fresh or dried, and its common for them to be dried, which lengthens their life span and prevents early spoilage.
If youre going to consume them fresh, look for them in season between September and November.
Medjool dates have a deep brown skin color with a flavor that can be described as caramel-like. When holding a dried Medjool date in your hand, you first feel its firm yet wrinkled textured, but dont make any quick judgments upon biting into a Medjool date, you will see that the inside is actually moist and meaty.
Medjool dates vary greatly in size, and at present there are no industry standards for size. You will sometimes see Medjool dates described as large, jumbo or super, which is a general reference to their length as well as their circumference.
You May Like: Does Peanut Butter Give You Heartburn
Dietary And Lifestyle Changes
Lack of fiber in the diet is often the cause of constipation.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics recommends that adults get 25 to 38 grams of dietary fiber each day.
But only 5 percent of the population actually reaches this goal, with the average intake being just 17 grams per day, according to a 2015 report in the Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
Getting the right amount of fiber through eating more fruits, vegetables, beans, and whole-grain cereals and breads can help alleviate constipation.
Regularly drinking water and other healthy beverages is also important for constipation relief, as the liquid can help make fiber more effective at maintaining regularity, according to the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases .
Other lifestyle changes can also help relieve or prevent constipation, including:
- Exercising regularly
- Trying to have a bowel movement at the same time every day, such as 15 to 45 minutes after breakfast
- Reserving enough time to have a bowel movement
- Not resisting the urge to have a bowel movement
Potential Risks Of Medjool Dates
The high levels of some nutrients in Medjool dates may cause problems for people with certain health conditions. Talk to your doctor to make sure that Medjool dates are a good addition to your diet.
Some potential health risks of Medjool dates include:
The fiber and nutrients in Medjool dates can help with weight management, but portion control is important. They are high in calories and should be consumed in moderation to avoid unwanted weight gain.
Medjool dates are an excellent source of potassium, which is lacking in most peoples diets. Because potassium is processed in our kidneys, people with kidney disease should follow their doctors advice regarding how much potassium they should consume.
Dried fruits often contain sulfites that act as a preservative and eliminate harmful bacteria. If you experience stomach pain, bloating, diarrhea, or skin rash after eating dried fruits, you may have an allergy or sensitivity to sulfites and should avoid eating Medjool dates.
You May Like: Vitamins Cause Diarrhea
Here Are Only A Few Of The Reasons Why You Should Eat Dates
1. Helps in Bringing Down the Cholesterol: The dates are free from cholesterol and contain a very little component of fat. You must include dates in your regular diet to lower down the cholesterol level which eventually helps in weight loss.
2. High in Proteins: Dates have a high quantity of protein which helps in keeping our muscles strong and in good condition. People, who follow the rigorous exercise pattern, are often advised to include dates in their daily diet.
3. Dates contain vitamins such as B1, B2, B3 and B5, as well as A1 and Vitamin C. You dont have to take the vitamin supplements if you eat dates regularly. Dates are very important for growing kids as dates contain natural sugar. You will never feel low on energy levels if you include dates regularly in your diet
4. Enhances Bone Health: Dates have an abundance of selenium, manganese, copper, and magnesium, which is very much required to keep our bones healthy. These are helpful in preventing conditions such as osteoporosis.
5. Helpful in Strengthening the Nervous System: Date has a high quantity of potassium and very little sodium, and that this helps us in keeping the nervous system in order.
7. Cures Hangovers: Dates are an excellent way to control inebriation. It is very helpful in curing a hangover.
Mild Constipation Could Be Averted With A Handful Ofhome Remedies And Healthy Diet
When it comes to constipation, we are somehow not very open to discussion. Subject of defecation still happens to be a taboo in some parts of the country. However, it is time to give the subject the due attention it deserves. According to a latest study, about 22 percent of Indians suffer from constipation problem. Constipation is defined as a condition where a person has a difficulty in emptying or clearing out the bowels. If left untreated, chronic constipation can lead to anal fissures, itching, pain and even bleeding. Chronic constipation needs immediate medical intervention. Mild constipation on the other hand could be averted with a handful of home remedies and healthy diet.
Recommended Reading: Pickles For Acid Reflux
Theyre A Brilliant Source Of Energy Just Dont Overdo It
Some studies have shown that you can experience a massive boost in energy in as little as 30 minutes from first consumption. Dates contain lots of natural sugars that give you a quick kick of energy to keep you going through the day.
This makes dates a much better pick-me-up than addictive caffeine drinks thatll leave you sluggish. Health benefits from dates can work in tandem with other healthy lifestyle choices such as exercising at the gym or going for a run.
Of course, with any natural sugars come added calories, but burning these off shouldnt be a problem. You can either burn off the calories with basic exercise throughout the day or use dates as a healthy way to gain weight. This is ideal for anyone who has suffered from a suppressed appetite from illness.
What Vegetables Cause Constipation
Insoluble fibre cannot be absorbed by the body and can often cause constipation by adding bulk to the stool. Vegetables high in insoluble fiber include courgettes, broccoli, celery, leafy greens and root vegetables these should be consumed in moderation. Certain vegetables are also known as FODMAP foods.
Don’t Miss: Align Probiotic Gluten Free
Laxatives And Other Medications
If dietary and lifestyle changes alone are unable to fully relieve constipation, laxatives may help but you shouldn’t take any constipation medications before discussing your options with your doctor.
Commonly used laxatives include:
- Osmotic and saline laxatives, such as Miralax , Cephulac , and Milk of Magnesia , which draw more water into the intestines and stool
- Stool softeners, such as Colace or Surfak , which help moisten stool to reduce the strain of bowel movements
- Lubricants, such as Fleet or Zymenol , which grease the stool to allow it to move more easily through the intestines
Not Just Prunes: Foods To Help You Get Regular
Constipation afflicts 42 million people in the U.S.
Not drinking enough water contributes to constipation
Eating a breakfast filled with higher fiber foods will prompt your natural urge to go
Constipation isnt the most glamorous of topics but having it sure isnt fun. For one, its extremely common, afflicting 42 million people in the United States. Each of us has different bathroom habits, but most experts say that three or fewer bowel movements per week could indicate a problem. And although constipation can be caused by medical conditions , medications , and other factors that may be out of your control, for most of us, its caused by what were eating or, rather, not eating, says Elizabeth Blaney, MD, gastroenterologist and clinical assistant professor of medicine at the University of Pittsburgh. The average American gets just 15 grams of fiber a day, though experts recommend at least 25. Most of us dont drink enough water, either, which also contributes to constipation. Get things moving again with the 15 foods that follow.
You May Like: Omeprazole Sweating
How Can I Clear My Bowels Every Morning
10 ways to make yourself poop first thing in the morning
Best Seeds For Constipation
There are a few different types of seeds that are thought to be particularly helpful in easing constipation.
- Chia seeds: These little seeds are a good source of dietary fiber and omega-3 fatty acids. Sprinkle them on salads or add them to smoothies.
- Fennel seeds: Chewing on fennel seeds is thought to help to ease gas and bloating, along with easing constipation.
- Flaxseed: These pleasant little nutty-flavored seeds need to be ground to benefit from their fiber and omega-3 fatty acids. Can be used in baking or added to smoothies.
- Psyllium: There is a lot of research support for the use of psyllium as a way to ease constipation which earns it its designation as a bulk laxative.
Don’t Miss: Salads Give Me Diarrhea
Are Dates Good For Constipation
Are Dates Good for Constipation?
Every day people are experiencing constipation because it is common in people of all ages. There are several factors that could lead to constipation, like a low fiber diet, dehydration, medication side effects, or lack of exercise. There are plenty of medications or remedies on the market to help ease and prevent constipation but there are more natural approaches as well! If you are interested in getting ahead of constipation for a preventative measure or want to help ease it currently, consider trying dates!
Why Dates are Good for Constipation
One of the leading factors of constipation in lacking fiber in your diet. When you add fiber to your diet it is promoting regular bowel movements which can help prevent constipation, or relieve constipation if you are currently experiencing it. What you might not know, is that dates are loaded with fiber! According to the USDA, approximately one cup of chopped dates will provide you with 12 grams of fiber. 12 grams of fiber is about half of the daily recommended fiber intake, and the rest you can get from foods like vegetables and whole grains. Since dates are so rich in fiber is makes them a great natural remedy for people experiencing constipation that want to try a natural approach to relief. The date fruit is considered a natural laxative which does create concern for some people, but when eaten in moderation they are a great addition of fiber to your diet.
Other Natural Constipation Reliefs